What is the American Way of Life?

oldmanfan

1 hour ago, dickleyjones said:

But i have done that at least twice now! :D

I honestly do not understand how you can state the USA is clearly different than most of the rest of the world. I think the differences make us superior but even you don't think we are superior the difference between how our country is built vs Europe is built is easily noticable if you leave the inner cities.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The current debate has little to nothing to do with the race of these immigrants. As Americans we’re taught from an early age to stand in line and wait your turn. We learn it in kindergarten! It’s beaten into us from when we’re very small. So much so that now if someone puts stickers on the floor ‘suggesting’ we stand six feet apart, we automatically comply (it’s a bit odd when you think about it).  The complaint is that the current group of immigrants are not respecting our border, and our cultural normal of ... waiting their turn. It’s not complicated. 

Bull crap.  Lie to yourself if you want but how come there's never been talk about building a wall to protect the US from the "menace" of "illegals" from Canada?   Until Covid-19 closed US-Canadian border, a Canadian citizen who wanted to come live in the US drove to the Peace Bridge or the Queenston Lewiston Bridge, showed ID, told the Border Patrol he/she/they were going on vacation in NYC or North Carolina or whatever, and went on his/her/their merry way.    The only way these "illegals" get caught is if/when they run afoul of the law.  No raids by la migra in Buffalo or NYC or Boston to scoop up Canadian "illegals", only raids to nab Mexicans and Chinese who don't have green cards.

Edited by SoTier

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Bull crap.  Lie to yourself if you want but how come there's never been talk about building a wall to protect the US from the "menace" of "illegals" from Canada?   Until Covid-19 closed US-Canadian border, a Canadian citizen who wanted to come live in the US drove to the Peace Bridge or the Queenston Lewiston Bridge, showed ID, told the Border Patrol he/she/they were going on vacation in NYC or North Carolina or whatever, and went on his/her/their merry way.    The only way these "illegals" get caught is if/when they run afoul of the law.  No raids by la migra in Buffalo or NYC or Boston to scoop up Canadian "illegals", only raids to nab Mexicans and Chinese who don't have green cards.

You're insinuating some racial motivation to stop people of Latino decent, specifically Mexican to enter the country although most of the recent "undocumented" are from Central American countries.  Countries where the US spends billions supporting unpopular and typically oppressive and corrupt regimes.  Assuming they really care about human rights vs. acquiring political power by bitching about things but taking no action to stop bad policy maybe the left should focus on eliminating the dictators our government bankrolls and supports which abuse human rights and inflict suffering on their people.  But what you're suggesting is that because most Canadians are white they get a free pass.  The go-to move of the left.  Have no proof or facts or hard data, pull out the race card.  That we all know explains everything when facts are inconvenient. 

But I think the reason there's no talk about a norther border wall is because there is no problem to address.  Unless there's some problem with a big number of Canadian street gang members sneaking across the border and politely forcing American's to watch Curling and eat donuts.  I don't think so.   

6 hours ago, SoTier said:

You are an odd person. There are no large caravans of people sneaking into the US from Canada.  Let's not jump the shark here!  (By the way, I live in Southern California, and here you'd actually spot a Canadian in less than five minutes.)  You really need to get out more....you'll learn something by leaving the Southern Tier.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:54 PM, oldmanfan said:

What exactly has people so worked up that they feel “their” America is being lost, “their” freedoms are being taken away?   What freedoms do you not have that you had 5-10 years ago?  

are you a small buisness owner? i think they have the right to provide for their families and not be arbitrarily shut down under threats fines and padlocks. no scientific evidence, complying with cdc guidelines and hypocritical big box stores open right next door...as a start losing everything you built up over your lifetime and no way to put food on the table might have people worked up

are you religious? did you want to peacefully assemble to practice your faith last year? even though it is in the constitution and other groupings were allowed to group as they pleased?

do you think you have a right to protect yourself and your belongings from others without prosecution? how many were denied that right last year?

can you enjoy freedom of speech? do you think that extends to others who don't have your political or social ideaology? do you think all those that lost their livelihoods because a mob decided they "deserved" it?

would you like to read a book on the negative effects transgenderism is having on teenagers? the ACLU (they used to stand up for free speach) tryed and was successful at blocking its sale for a time. would you like to talk about or obtain information on covid medically and origins that is not confirmed with the mainstream, how about elections? see how far the convo goes before its censored. 

would you like to buy stock in a company called gamestop? it was perfectly legal..nope. shut down. but only if your hurting the hedgefund gov financiers.

would you like to use a buisness service alternative to twitter. a legitamate competitor that broke no laws but was still shut down by major tech monopolies under lies that it promoted extremism..while facebook where the groups really formed was unmentioned and untouched.

soon we will be talking about gun rights..thats coming.

im glad you still have all your freedoms and rights but look outside yourself to see whats happening.

these were just a few things i guess we took for granted 5 10 years ago.

should i go on?

Edited by Buffarukus

3 hours ago, Buffarukus said:

are you a small buisness owner? i think they have the right to provide for their families and not be arbitrarily shut down under threats fines and padlocks. no scientific evidence, complying with cdc guidelines and hypocritical big box stores open right next door...as a start losing everything you built up over your lifetime and no way to put food on the table might have people worked up

are you religious? did you want to peacefully assemble to practice your faith last year? even though it is in the constitution and other groupings were allowed to group as they pleased?

do you think you have a right to protect yourself and your belongings from others without prosecution? how many were denied that right last year?

can you enjoy freedom of speech? do you think that extends to others who don't have your political or social ideaology? do you think all those that lost their livelihoods because a mob decided they "deserved" it?

would you like to read a book on the negative effects transgenderism is having on teenagers? the ACLU (they used to stand up for free speach) tryed and was successful at blocking its sale for a time. would you like to talk about or obtain information on covid medically and origins that is not confirmed with the mainstream, how about elections? see how far the convo goes before its censored. 

would you like to buy stock in a company called gamestop? it was perfectly legal..nope. shut down. but only if your hurting the hedgefund gov financiers.

would you like to use a buisness service alternative to twitter. a legitamate competitor that broke no laws but was still shut down by major tech monopolies under lies that it promoted extremism..while facebook where the groups really formed was unmentioned and untouched.

soon we will be talking about gun rights..thats coming.

im glad you still have all your freedoms and rights but look outside yourself to see whats happening.

these were just a few things i guess we took for granted 5 10 years ago.

should i go on?

When I posted I specifically indicated the exception of the pandemic.  And people were complaining about there freedoms being taken away before it hit.   Small businesses need help and in the deal under the previous administration too much of the $$ went to big business instead.  I faithfully go to church every week but during the pandemic have done so virtually.  Or when I go in person do so masked and keep socially distanced.  And I don’t know where you live but where I live other groups had to follow the same rules.  

You misunderstand the first amendment and freedom of speech as many do.  You have the right to say anything against anyone, but you have to accept the consequences of such.  I am all for free exchange of ideas but they have to have some basis in reality.  So if one spreads false information on things like Covid treatments that needs to be checked because it can kill people.  I think you have the right to defend your property and I have said repeatedly that protest is fine but violence is not and that those doing such should go to jail.  Social media sites need to be looked at to determine if they are monopolies and need to be regulated more strictly, but they are businesses that can set their way an rules.  Would you want someone from outside setting your business’s rules?

Everyone in this country has the same rights under the Constitution.  No more, no less.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I honestly do not understand how you can state the USA is clearly different than most of the rest of the world. I think the differences make us superior but even you don't think we are superior the difference between how our country is built vs Europe is built is easily noticable if you leave the inner cities.

Sure there are differences, mostly superficial. Far more similarities. For example, we think we are superior too. I'm sure most western countries do.

Edited by dickleyjones
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, oldmanfan said:

When I posted I specifically indicated the exception of the pandemic.  And people were complaining about there freedoms being taken away before it hit.   Small businesses need help and in the deal under the previous administration too much of the $$ went to big business instead.  I faithfully go to church every week but during the pandemic have done so virtually.  Or when I go in person do so masked and keep socially distanced.  And I don’t know where you live but where I live other groups had to follow the s

you have to include whats happened during the pandemic. governments have historically used time of crisis/fear to whittle away at freedom and cease more control. its at this time people have to stay hyper vigilant. im not talking strictly democrats...for instance, see the patriot act and listen to what snowden says it entails

i agree with you that small buisness needs help but unfortunately its too little to late for many. the fact so many were arbitrarily closed with no guidelines to stay open is a direct power grab. like i said the basic human right to earn a living taken away and for many, its not coming back. the hypocracy of allowing big box stores to remain open while funneling all revenue in their direction when there was no evidence it slowed any spread. there was info later on where places like barber shops  showed miniscule spread. this was how small buisness and middle class were targeted for no legitimate reason. hindsight is not making that reasoning, as many were protesting these truths a very long time ago. 

as for religion. many were closed. jewish temples were overtly targeted with padlocks in NYC. yet thousands protested in much larger groups. both are under rights to peacefully assemble correct? there is also the division of church and state that was trampled. not sure how the two are any different. luckly the supreme court stepped in...it the only reason both ruling are being laxed, under direct court order.

On 2/22/2021 at 4:47 AM, oldmanfan said:

You misunderstand the first amendment and freedom of speech as many do.  You have the right to say anything against anyone, but you have to accept the consequences of such.  I am all for free exchange of ideas but they have to have some basis in reality.  So if one spreads false information on things like Covid treatments that needs to be checked because it can kill people.  I think you have the right to defend your property and I have said repeatedly that protest is fine but violence is not and that those doing such should go to jail.  Social media sites need to be looked at to determine if they are monopolies and need to be regulated more strictly, but they are businesses that can set their way an rules.  Would you want someone from outside setting your business’s rules?

Everyone in this country has the same rights under the Constitution.  No more, no less.

unfortunatly you don't seem to understand how deep censorship has gotten. i dont think i can tell you just how many people have been "cancelled" and lost thier livelihoods for simply speaking their own mind on a topic that does not fit the narrative. not spewing conspiracies, not attacking anyone yet those that have made direct death threats are perfectly fine. promient people who called for the killing of children (covington). antifa who can and STILL organize to this day on platforms. this isn't about terms of service or consequences for wrong actions. its not even close to equal. this is about steering society into the condemnation of those who don't agree. say its a private company and go elsewhere and when you do.. they attack it with ( a place where HATE SPEECH is allowed to thrive ). label anything hate speech and its easy to shut things down. wallstreet bets were labeled all those thing...even russians! to try and get them to stop forcing hedgefunds to pay on their shortselling, eventually they just unlawfully stopped the ability to buy the stock.

that's not the america i knew and it definitely is not a example of having "the same rights no more or less"

Edited by Buffarukus

On 2/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, All_Pro_Bills said:

You're insinuating some racial motivation to stop people of Latino decent, specifically Mexican to enter the country although most of the recent "undocumented" are from Central American countries.  Countries where the US spends billions supporting unpopular and typically oppressive and corrupt regimes.  Assuming they really care about human rights vs. acquiring political power by bitching about things but taking no action to stop bad policy maybe the left should focus on eliminating the dictators our government bankrolls and supports which abuse human rights and inflict suffering on their people.  But what you're suggesting is that because most Canadians are white they get a free pass.  The go-to move of the left.  Have no proof or facts or hard data, pull out the race card.  That we all know explains everything when facts are inconvenient. 

But I think the reason there's no talk about a norther border wall is because there is no problem to address.  Unless there's some problem with a big number of Canadian street gang members sneaking across the border and politely forcing American's to watch Curling and eat donuts.  I don't think so.   

:lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:   

Thank you for proving that my statement was absolutely correct. 

On 2/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, SoCal Deek said:

You are an odd person. There are no large caravans of people sneaking into the US from Canada.  Let's not jump the shark here!  (By the way, I live in Southern California, and here you'd actually spot a Canadian in less than five minutes.)  You really need to get out more....you'll learn something by leaving the Southern Tier.

Oh, but there are lots of people who smuggle illegal Chinese immigrants across the Canadian border, especially across the Niagara and Detroit Rivers.   I guess those arrests don't make the news in So Cal so they don't count, right?   

More importantly, spotting illegal Canadians isn't the problem.  Assuming that Canadians who are here are either tourists or here legally while assuming that Latinos are here illegally is the problem.  

54 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Oh, but there are lots of people who smuggle illegal Chinese immigrants across the Canadian border, especially across the Niagara and Detroit Rivers.   I guess those arrests don't make the news in So Cal so they don't count, right?   

More importantly, spotting illegal Canadians isn't the problem.  Assuming that Canadians who are here are either tourists or here legally while assuming that Latinos are here illegally is the problem.  

And now we’ve jumped the shark and the whale in one leap. I cannot possibly understand where you’re going here. First it’s all about racism and skin color and now you believe that Chinese people are the same race as Canadians? Let me explain: all illegal immigration is bad for America. Do you think it’s good? 

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

:lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:    :lol:   

Thank you for proving that my statement was absolutely correct. 

It seems you are also making assumptions. Canadians have a multitude of ethnic backgrounds including Chinese and Latino.

Edited by dickleyjones

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I ran across this blog which I think is relevant to the topic and the current state of the country.  To me its spot on as to the source of all the anger and conflict we are witnessing and in some cases participating. 

http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2021/02/what-normal-are-we-returning-to.html

Very interesting perspective

11 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Very interesting perspective

How hard is this to figure out? You import millions and millions of poor people and transfer our manufacturing base overseas and what do you get? Answer: a hollowed out middle class. It’s not complicated. (PS: reducing the upper tax bracket from 37.5% back to 35% didn’t cause this.)

Edited by SoCal Deek