What is the American Way of Life?

oldmanfan

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Can you give us examples of this? My friends children are super well behaved, respectful and nice. They don't seem to need beaten on. Hitting kids is generally stupid, teaches them that violence solves problems. It doesn't. 

But are there lots of examples of simple spankings resulting in arrests of parents? 

I have seen cases of child abuse, serious, horrible abuse, where parents complained they were not allowed to "discipline" their kids. 

Would you let a teacher punch your child in school if he/she were acting up? 

Punch don't be a dum a** punching is not discipline there you go twisting things again .

A prayer for our wonderful new President 

Isaiah 9:7
“Of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, to order it and establish it with judgment and justice from that time forward, even forever more. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.”

30 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I see kids out playing all the time. We have hoop courts down the road that kids are always playing at. We have Holloween still. What are you talking about? 

You want more fighting? Huh? And, gun violence is nothing new. Gun massacres are more common, though. 

We also have more safeguards to protect women from drunk abusive husbands, thanks to liberals. That's a good thing, right? The Violence Against Women Act was real good. Agreed?

Actually, this is exactly the kind of "freedoms" that these Wacko Trumpists are whining about losing.   Men can no longer beat or rape their wives or girlfriends.  Parents no longer have the right to abuse their children in the name of "discipline".  Whites no longer have the right to insult, intimidate, assault or lynch Blacks, Asians, Latinos or Native Americans.  Straights can no longer bash gays, lesbians, transsexuals with impunity.

The entire "loss of freedoms" meme among conservatives is really a whine that straight white males, especially those with limited education and skills, are rapidly losing their privileges and have to compete with the untermenschen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Actually, this is exactly the kind of "freedoms" that these Wacko Trumpists are whining about losing.   Men can no longer beat or rape their wives or girlfriends.  Parents no longer have the right to abuse their children in the name of "discipline".  Whites no longer have the right to insult, intimidate, assault or lynch Blacks, Asians, Latinos or Native Americans.  Straights can no longer bash gays, lesbians, transsexuals with impunity.

The entire "loss of freedoms" meme among conservatives is really a whine that straight white males, especially those with limited education and skills, are rapidly losing their privileges and have to compete with the untermenschen.

Honestly it's wrong for people to hurt people. Have all kind of friends even those gays and more.  Going to place play games saturday with him. Good guy i'm straight nothing wrong to be amazing to amazing  people and friends.  My mother and I drives black, good friends with indians. So much more kindness to people.  Hell help out all of the neighborhood out there.

Not all Trumpists are bad. But to label them is some kind of hate speech. Like the world has been following around for hate.

Just look at people hearts more then whatever you are. If you're good hearted a caring person that helps others. Those people are amazing.  This is what I think and do for others.  Always a friend to someone.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Honestly it's wrong for people to hurt people. Have all kind of friends even those gays and more.  Going to place play games saturday with him. Good guy i'm straight nothing wrong to be amazing to amazing  people and friends.  My mother and I drives black, good friends with indians. So much more kindness to people.  Hell help out all of the neighborhood out there.

Not all Trumpists are bad. But to label them is some kind of hate speech. Like the world has been following around for hate.

Just look at people hearts more then whatever you are. If you're good hearted a caring person that helps others. Those people are amazing.  This is what I think and do for others.  Always a friend to someone.

Sorry, but a person is known by the company he or she keeps.  Supporting Trump is tacitly supporting white supremacists, misogynists, and other assorted fascists he embraces as "patriots".  If you don't like being lumped in with such, then maybe you should take a critical look at the person you're supporting.

29 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Sorry, but a person is known by the company he or she keeps.  Supporting Trump is tacitly supporting white supremacists, misogynists, and other assorted fascists he embraces as "patriots".  If you don't like being lumped in with such, then maybe you should take a critical look at the person you're supporting.

I'm sorry i'm kind to everyone. With a good heart helping others. Enough said. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Oh stop it with the lazy and tired White Supremacist crap. It's really juvenile. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Immigration is as American as apple pie! Biden sending his immigration plan to Congress soon 

Advocates for immigrants cheered plans to formally introduce the bill, the broad outlines of which Biden sent to Congress on his first day in office, but said they doubted it would pass. Democrats hold the House, but they need at least 10 Republican votes to reach the 60-vote threshold to pass the Senate.

Advocates and dozens of lawmakers are urging Senate Democrats to instead legalize at least 5 million undocumented immigrants this year through the budget reconciliation process, which requires a simple majority to pass. That group would include essential workers, immigrants who arrived as children and people with temporary protected status.

Erika Andiola, an immigrant from Mexico whose relatives faced deportation under the Obama administration, called the Biden bill “a good symbolic gesture, but it’s not enough to protect people like me, my family and my community.”

Frank Sharry, executive director of America’s Voice, an advocacy organization, said passing citizenship through reconciliation is “the best shot we have this year.”

“There is a point where Joe Biden is going to have to decide,” said Nicole Melaku, executive director of the National Partnership for New Americans, a coalition of immigrant advocacy groups. “There is a moment where every disposable tool in his toolbox will need to be pulled out whether or not Republicans come along.”

Senior administration officials who promoted the bill late Wednesday repeatedly declined to say whether they are considering using the reconciliation process to pass citizenship.

“It’s just too early to speculate about it right now,” the aide said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/democrats-introduce-biden-citizenship-bill/2021/02/18/e843bb22-7179-11eb-b8a9-b9467510f0fe_story.html

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Immigration is as American as apple pie! Biden sending his immigration plan to Congress soon 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/democrats-introduce-biden-citizenship-bill/2021/02/18/e843bb22-7179-11eb-b8a9-b9467510f0fe_story.html

Absolutely. For the most part in my experience, and while a generalization informed by personal experience; immigrants, first and second generation Americans value work hard and education and contribute more than not, and also are a key contributor to entrepreneurial small business growth.  I wish it would motivate those that take opportunity for granted or sit around waiting for everything to be handed to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, oldmanfan said:

No they aren’t.  Other than COVID which is a unique situation demanding public health measures, how are individual freedoms being taken away.  Mine aren’t, nor are they for anyone I know.

I am not sure where you live but the lockdown of NY and CA have turned many of  my students towards being libertarians. In FL I am allowed to live my life as I see fit and the intelligent among us have no problems staying healthy while my students extended family is still not able to do anything close to normal. But as for the original question: the American way is freedom from government interference except when necessary, which defining necessary is where we can have some issues.

6 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

not enough people talk about #2. If you raise children as a single parent, the data spanning all ethnicities shows it is a statistically poor outcome with a coin toss of ending up in poverty and involvement in crime is likely. I wish conservatives would stop worrying about the gender, race, religion, sexuality, gender preference etc, and get behind the value of family no matter it’s make up. Single parents have the deck stacked against them in a litany of ways as the outcomes show. 

I’ve argued this with tons of conservatives.. The family unit message has a lot of value, but the caveat on who is allowed to participate and how makes zero sense.

If you’re the party of individualism, then promoted general ubiquitous values, and ‘let individuals be individuals!!’

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Absolutely. For the most part in my experience, and while a generalization informed by personal experience; immigrants, first and second generation Americans value work hard and education and contribute more than not, and also are a key contributor to entrepreneurial small business growth.  I wish it would motivate those that take opportunity for granted or sit around waiting for everything to be handed to them. 

Agreed.  People don't pack up their lives to move to a new country unless they are very determined to change their lives.  That was as true in the 1840s and 1890s and 1920s as it is today.   I think that it's the ambition and success of immigrants that has fired up anti-immigration feeling among native born Americans (nativism)  throughout US history, especially among those who are struggling economically for whatever reason.  Immigrants are easy targets, especially when they come in large numbers and seem "alien" like Irish Catholics, Chinese, Catholics and Jews from Southern and Eastern Europe, Mexicans and other Hispanics, etc.

On 2/19/2021 at 6:36 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

not enough people talk about #2. If you raise children as a single parent, the data spanning all ethnicities shows it is a statistically poor outcome with a coin toss of ending up in poverty and involvement in crime is likely. I wish conservatives would stop worrying about the gender, race, religion, sexuality, gender preference etc, and get behind the value of family no matter it’s make up. Single parents have the deck stacked against them in a litany of ways as the outcomes show. 

I’ve argued this with tons of conservatives.. The family unit message has a lot of value, but the caveat on who is allowed to participate and how makes zero sense.

If you’re the party of individualism, then promoted general ubiquitous values, and ‘let individuals be individuals!!’

you have argued this point with conservatives? You feel it is conservative people who don't encourage a proper family enough? Yet the more liberal a person is the more likely they are to be and have a single parent. Your initial point is correct but I can't imagine a conservative who is under 80 that argues blacks don't deserve a proper family 

23 hours ago, SoTier said:

Agreed.  People don't pack up their lives to move to a new country unless they are very determined to change their lives.  That was as true in the 1840s and 1890s and 1920s as it is today.   I think that it's the ambition and success of immigrants that has fired up anti-immigration feeling among native born Americans (nativism)  throughout US history, especially among those who are struggling economically for whatever reason.  Immigrants are easy targets, especially when they come in large numbers and seem "alien" like Irish Catholics, Chinese, Catholics and Jews from Southern and Eastern Europe, Mexicans and other Hispanics, etc.

The current debate has little to nothing to do with the race of these immigrants. As Americans we’re taught from an early age to stand in line and wait your turn. We learn it in kindergarten! It’s beaten into us from when we’re very small. So much so that now if someone puts stickers on the floor ‘suggesting’ we stand six feet apart, we automatically comply (it’s a bit odd when you think about it).  The complaint is that the current group of immigrants are not respecting our border, and our cultural normal of ... waiting their turn. It’s not complicated. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

The "American way of Life". What a farce. Not much difference between usa and the rest of the western world, if any.

Perhaps the American way is...thinking there is an American way?

Get over yourselves. We are not so different.

Sincerely,

A Canadian who loves you

Just now, dickleyjones said:

The "American way of Life". What a farce. Not much difference between usa and the rest of the western world, if any.

Perhaps the American way is...thinking there is an American way?

Get over yourselves. We are not so different.

Sincerely,

A Canadian who loves you

You clearly haven’t traveled much. 

Just now, dickleyjones said:

Wrong.

Right