What is the American Way of Life?

oldmanfan

The current what I will call political crisis seems to center around what people want to claim as the American Life.  The extremists on the right seem to claim that their America is being taken away, that for some reason what they consider the American way of life is being stripped from them.  And they want to take it back by whatever means they need to use.  On the other side you have the left extremists who want to claim to many are being denied their version of America, that the American Way of Life is being denied to minorities and such.

So what is America?  What is the American way of life?  Frankly for people like me, older, white, of good financial means, I don't see my America being taken away by any stretch of the imagination.  I have all my rights granted to me by the Constitution, they are not being affected at all.  I am happily married, and I know gay couples that are married and that has absolutely no influence on the state of my marriage.  I have no problem with all citizens of our country having the exact same rights, no more, no less, than the next guy regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation.  Having all have the same rights to me is American - I am not having anything taken away by that.  I believe immigration has been great for our country historically,  and that legal immigration should be encouraged and illegal immigration be dealt with harshly.   I think most Americans agree with that, that somehow that does destroy the American way of life.  I think people should have the right to protest peacefully, and when they do so it does not somehow strip away my America.  I think when protestors get violent they should be charged, arrested, convicted, and go to jail.  

So when some say their America is being taken away, how?  Why?  We are a melting pot, we always have been (although sometimes with destructive consequences especially our treatment of native Americans).  How another person chooses to lead their life has nothing to do with somehow stealing anything from my living my American life.  

I don't get it.  Someone explain it to me.

• Like (+1) 4

You’re not part of the conflict the political apparatus are trying to have. You pose moderate reasonable compromised pragmatic positions. Neither establishment  supports your views completely and for them America is a herd of sheep they need to manipulate to manifest their own power. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

How another person chooses to lead their life has nothing to do with somehow stealing anything from my living my American life.  

INDIVIDUAL freedom.

Everything else is window-dressing.

and all Americans are slowly but surely losing theirs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The current what I will call political crisis seems to center around what people want to claim as the American Life.  The extremists on the right seem to claim that their America is being taken away, that for some reason what they consider the American way of life is being stripped from them.  And they want to take it back by whatever means they need to use.  On the other side you have the left extremists who want to claim to many are being denied their version of America, that the American Way of Life is being denied to minorities and such.

So what is America?  What is the American way of life?  Frankly for people like me, older, white, of good financial means, I don't see my America being taken away by any stretch of the imagination.  I have all my rights granted to me by the Constitution, they are not being affected at all.  I am happily married, and I know gay couples that are married and that has absolutely no influence on the state of my marriage.  I have no problem with all citizens of our country having the exact same rights, no more, no less, than the next guy regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation.  Having all have the same rights to me is American - I am not having anything taken away by that.  I believe immigration has been great for our country historically,  and that legal immigration should be encouraged and illegal immigration be dealt with harshly.   I think most Americans agree with that, that somehow that does destroy the American way of life.  I think people should have the right to protest peacefully, and when they do so it does not somehow strip away my America.  I think when protestors get violent they should be charged, arrested, convicted, and go to jail.  

So when some say their America is being taken away, how?  Why?  We are a melting pot, we always have been (although sometimes with destructive consequences especially our treatment of native Americans).  How another person chooses to lead their life has nothing to do with somehow stealing anything from my living my American life.  

Interesting question.  

I don't feel as if the American way of life is in peril, and ultimately change is inevitable.  There are some very positive things that stem from these changes, and in some cases, the change impacts individuals negatively.  

Before proceeding here, what would you consider an example of an extremist on the right or left? I think most of us would agree that the people that stormed the Capitol were extremists, but what about the people that attended the rally and did not partake in violence, destruction or the breach?  I think most would assume that those protestors who rioted and burned federal facilities and small businesses are extremists, but those peacefully protesting are not?  

Certainly there are people that feel as you have described, but it's important to know what you view as an extremist as a starting point.  

35 minutes ago, B-Man said:

INDIVIDUAL freedom.

No they aren’t.  Other than COVID which is a unique situation demanding public health measures, how are individual freedoms being taken away.  Mine aren’t, nor are they for anyone I know.

35 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Interesting question.  

I don't feel as if the American way of life is in peril, and ultimately change is inevitable.  There are some very positive things that stem from these changes, and in some cases, the change impacts individuals negatively.  

Before proceeding here, what would you consider an example of an extremist on the right or left? I think most of us would agree that the people that stormed the Capitol were extremists, but what about the people that attended the rally and did not partake in violence, destruction or the breach?  I think most would assume that those protestors who rioted and burned federal facilities and small businesses are extremists, but those peacefully protesting are not?  

Certainly there are people that feel as you have described, but it's important to know what you view as an extremist as a starting point.  

The ones rioting this summer and the ones attacking the Capitol would define extremists for me.  As would those who want to overturn our form of government 

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

INDIVIDUAL freedom.

What freedoms have you lost? 

1 hour ago, T master said:

It sure ain't what it use to be !! 

How? What’s changed? 

• Like (+1) 1

I would say, with regards to recent events, many feminists would argue that transgender rights are hurting women’s rights...

For example, they are now allowing trans females (people born as biological males) to compete in girl’s scholastic sports...this has had a negative impact on girls trying to get scholarships, because the trans females are always winning by large margins, and destroying the female record books...

If these trends are allowed to continue, you can basically say goodbye to women’s sports...that was the whole reason male and female sports were segregated in the first place- to give woman a more fair opportunity...now it seems like we are regressing, as biological males are being allowed to compete with them...

A good example of this was a case in Connecticut last year...I believe it went to court...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Not criticizing, but you might as well:

giphy.gif

I am 65 years old.  I have not lost any individual freedom, with the exception of the quarantine at the beginning of the COVID epidemic.  All my rights and freedoms I have I have had my entire adult life.  

Rather than some pithy picture, engage in the topic at hand.  What exactly has people so worked up that they feel “their” America is being lost, “their” freedoms are being taken away?   What freedoms do you not have that you had 5-10 years ago?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I would say, with regards to recent events, many feminists would argue that transgender rights are hurting women’s rights...

For example, they are now allowing trans females (people born as biological males) to compete in girl’s scholastic sports...this has had a negative impact on girls trying to get scholarships, because the trans females are always winning by large margins, and destroying the female record books...

If these trends are allowed to continue, you can basically say goodbye to women’s sports...that was the whole reason male and female sports were segregated in the first place- to give woman a more fair opportunity...now it seems like we are regressing, as biological males are being allowed to compete with them...

A good example of this was a case in Connecticut last year...I believe it went to court...

Right agree with this.  Would feel really sad if girl sports went goodbye. :( 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I'm in a similar position.  For context I live in an upper middle class single family home neighborhood.  Most of the residents are either professionals, small business owners, or mid-level managers in one of the many corporations dotting the region.  Most have advanced degrees, Masters and PhD's.  The demographics of the area are diverse, white, black, Asian (Chinese & Indian mostly), Hispanics.  Same for my work environment.  My natural instincts now are to not categorize or label anyone in this manner.  With experience you learn everyone is looking for the same thing.  A decent opportunity and a good life for themselves and their families and to see their kids do well or better than they are.  My grandparents were immigrants to this country.  My parents were working class people that saved and sacrificed to provide their kids a better life.  We grew up in a working class environment and my lifelong values and character were molding by this environment.  Its impossible for me to comprehend how much different it is growing up surrounded by relative affluence.  The kids think my stories about growing up are quaint but don't really understand the realities of hardship.  

People living in my area are completely insulated from the civil and social stiff experienced and witnessed by others on the ground.  Most I expect lean to the conservative side of things.  In the Summer there was a demonstration by local school aged kids protesting against injustice and inequality.  it was very orderly and polite as I would expect.  While I supported their efforts I wondered how they could even conceptualize of injustice and inequality.  Most are truly children of privilege.  But that privilege is derived from wealth and income and not race.  I expect few if any have experienced any of those situations or know what it means to be poor or want for things (growing up I came to know these things).  I laughed to myself as I thought it likely the biggest problem in life they've faced is something like a weak WiFi signal. 

In my view our social issues are not about race so much as they are about income and education.  Poor people just don't get treated very well in this country or maybe anywhere no matter their skin color.  The cops in my area are as unlikely to hassle affluent blacks as the are to hassle affluent whites.  

I think the American way of life is exemplified by you work hard and see your kids do better than you.  You pull your weight and expect the same of others.  I think one of the problems today is there is less and less opportunity to do that given how the economy has changed over the past 30 years.  Even college graduates have less opportunity and lower expectations of income.  There are a couple big  demographics that don't see this way of life as possible. 

Most "blue collar" jobs have disappeared in manufacturing & the supporting industries and businesses decimating a lot of small towns and cities in the process.  These people see little to be hopeful for.  The majority of them were Trump supporters.  They are not inherently bad people but rather they have lost faith in either of the major political parties to do anything for them.  After all, both presided over the elimination of their livelihoods.  Coastal liberals don't understand them.  But coastal liberals have been beneficiaries of globalization, financialization, and the information economy.  The majority are poor whites living near or below the "poverty level".  For these people the better life is a fantasy.  

The other big disadvantaged group is the inner city poor.  There have been programs and actions for 50+ years to end inner city poverty.  Most of them administered by politicians claiming to be supportive of these citizens.  And to this point without a lot of success.  The problem with these programs is they create government dependents rather than independent people.  I believe at their core people generally don't want handouts but rather a helping hand.  But the current craze is more handouts.  Guaranteed incomes and other things.  Free stuff that requires no effort or work, just proof of your existence to qualify.  This creates a lot of people that just get by but have no opportunity to reach their potential or do something great. 

I believe the left/right divide is creating a lot of noise but not doing much to move towards solutions.  In many respects its a false conflict fighting at the margins for some meager prize.  The elites control 98% of the middle while the peasants on the left or right fight for the 1 or 2 percent at the margins.  For the most part the left uses the later (inner city poor) and the right uses the former (working class white) in their political efforts claiming to care but not doing much of anything for either.  Meanwhile the real powers skate through the center unnoticed because of the left/right conflict and diversion they created.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

How? What’s changed? 

Prior to Covid regulations, my day-to-day existence hasn't changed much. 

The only dramatic and disturbing change I see in the past 15 years is a rabid political party tribalism on both sides.  It used to be a fiction to think that one party was out to destroy the other.  Now, not so much. And it gets worse by the month.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I'm in a similar position.  For context I live in an upper middle class single family home neighborhood.  Most of the residents are either professionals, small business owners, or mid-level managers in one of the many corporations dotting the region.  Most have advanced degrees, Masters and PhD's.  The demographics of the area are diverse, white, black, Asian (Chinese & Indian mostly), Hispanics.  Same for my work environment.  My natural instincts now are to not categorize or label anyone in this manner.  With experience you learn everyone is looking for the same thing.  A decent opportunity and a good life for themselves and their families and to see their kids do well or better than they are.  My grandparents were immigrants to this country.  My parents were working class people that saved and sacrificed to provide their kids a better life.  We grew up in a working class environment and my lifelong values and character were molding by this environment.  Its impossible for me to comprehend how much different it is growing up surrounded by relative affluence.  The kids think my stories about growing up are quaint but don't really understand the realities of hardship.  

People living in my area are completely insulated from the civil and social stiff experienced and witnessed by others on the ground.  Most I expect lean to the conservative side of things.  In the Summer there was a demonstration by local school aged kids protesting against injustice and inequality.  it was very orderly and polite as I would expect.  While I supported their efforts I wondered how they could even conceptualize of injustice and inequality.  Most are truly children of privilege.  But that privilege is derived from wealth and income and not race.  I expect few if any have experienced any of those situations or know what it means to be poor or want for things (growing up I came to know these things).  I laughed to myself as I thought it likely the biggest problem in life they've faced is something like a weak WiFi signal. 

In my view our social issues are not about race so much as they are about income and education.  Poor people just don't get treated very well in this country or maybe anywhere no matter their skin color.  The cops in my area are as unlikely to hassle affluent blacks as the are to hassle affluent whites.  

I think the American way of life is exemplified by you work hard and see your kids do better than you.  You pull your weight and expect the same of others.  I think one of the problems today is there is less and less opportunity to do that given how the economy has changed over the past 30 years.  Even college graduates have less opportunity and lower expectations of income.  There are a couple big  demographics that don't see this way of life as possible. 

Most "blue collar" jobs have disappeared in manufacturing & the supporting industries and businesses decimating a lot of small towns and cities in the process.  These people see little to be hopeful for.  The majority of them were Trump supporters.  They are not inherently bad people but rather they have lost faith in either of the major political parties to do anything for them.  After all, both presided over the elimination of their livelihoods.  Coastal liberals don't understand them.  But coastal liberals have been beneficiaries of globalization, financialization, and the information economy.  The majority are poor whites living near or below the "poverty level".  For these people the better life is a fantasy.  

The other big disadvantaged group is the inner city poor.  There have been programs and actions for 50+ years to end inner city poverty.  Most of them administered by politicians claiming to be supportive of these citizens.  And to this point without a lot of success.  The problem with these programs is they create government dependents rather than independent people.  I believe at their core people generally don't want handouts but rather a helping hand.  But the current craze is more handouts.  Guaranteed incomes and other things.  Free stuff that requires no effort or work, just proof of your existence to qualify.  This creates a lot of people that just get by but have no opportunity to reach their potential or do something great. 

I believe the left/right divide is creating a lot of noise but not doing much to move towards solutions.  In many respects its a false conflict fighting at the margins for some meager prize.  The elites control 98% of the middle while the peasants on the left or right fight for the 1 or 2 percent at the margins.  For the most part the left uses the later (inner city poor) and the right uses the former (working class white) in their political efforts claiming to care but not doing much of anything for either.  Meanwhile the real powers skate through the center unnoticed because of the left/right conflict and diversion they created.  

Great post agree with all of it. You're right on the smaller town rural places. Both sides lost faith. Live in one. Becoming a fast food and wal mart type of jobs. The bigger one's mean more moved out and people jumping ship quick. 

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I love the part of your post about how it’s not really about race, but rather income and education...I completely agree...

Many well-to-do black people feel the same...Denzel Washington once said “Its not about race...it’s about culture...”. I always take that with me...Morgan Freeman says similar things...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I love the part of your post about how it’s not really about race, but rather income and education...I completely agree...

Many well-to-do black people feel the same...Denzel Washington once said “Its not about race...it’s about culture...”. I always take that with me...Morgan Freeman says similar things...

He did post a really good post and really spot on with things how I am thinking.   Really helpful and good.

I see a fair amount of flawed thinking here.  Let's leave politics out of it and just talk technology.  I see a lot of assumptions here that while the unwashed rural folk will be swept away never to be seen again that the cul-de-sac crowd will go onward and upward.  Not so fast.  Technology is expanding exponentially which is invisible to most people who are not specifically looking for it.  Will a law firm keep on or add lawyers when AI develops to a point where an entity can prepare and execute cases for the managing partners instead of a living being?  Will hospitals need a myriad of specialists when AI entities can perform diagnosis and implement procedures to heal patients?  Will a manufacturing firm need to keep hiring engineers fresh out of college when AI can do the same work with far less chance of error?  What's the 30 year old cul-de-sac resident going to do in 20 years when technology gives him a hard push out of his career.  Consolidation is not going away whether it be in business, law, or medicine.  I remember studying the concept of the big box chain store at college decades ago while most Americans blissfully shopped the local lumber company, hardware store, mom and pop grocery, and banked at the local First National Bank in their community.  There are going to be flat out fewer opportunities for an increasing amount of people living in this country.  Our economy is rooted in most Americans bringing home a paycheck. What happens when the paychecks ran out 5 years ago and savings is just about exhausted.  Go ahead and talk to me like the buggy whip maker in 1925 who said automobiles will never fully replace the horse.  Or the candlestick maker who said that there will still be a healthy market for candles.  Or the chimney sweep who said that most Americans will keep on burning wood.  Whether it be 2000 BC, 1492 AD, or Carnegie in 19th Century America the desire by the ruling class has been to take as much of the human factor out of making money as possible.   

Edited by RochesterRob
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

This is one of, if not the best, posts I have ever read.  Many thanks.

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I see a fair amount of flawed thinking here.  Let's leave politics out of it and just talk technology.  I see a lot of assumptions here that while the unwashed rural folk will be swept away never to be seen again that the cul-de-sac crowd will go onward and upward.  Not so fast.  Technology is expanding exponentially which is invisible to most people who are not specifically looking for it.  Will a law firm keep on or add lawyers when AI develops to a point where an entity can prepare and execute cases for the managing partners instead of a living being?  Will hospitals need a myriad of specialists when AI entities can perform diagnosis and implement procedures to heal patients?  Will a manufacturing firm need to keep hiring engineers fresh out of college when AI can do the same work with far less chance of error?  What's the 30 year old cup-de-sac resident going to do in 20 years when technology gives him a hard push out of his career.  Consolidation is not going away whether it be in business, law, or medicine.  I remember studying the concept of the big box chain store at college decades ago while most Americans blissfully shopped the local lumber company, hardware store, mom and pop grocery, and banked at the local First National Bank in their community.  There are going to be flat out fewer opportunities for an increasing amount of people living in this country.  Our economy is rooted in most Americans bringing home a paycheck. What happens when the paychecks ran out 5 years ago and savings is just about exhausted.  Go ahead and talk to me like the buggy whip maker in 1925 who said automobiles will never fully replace the horse.  Or the candlestick maker who said that there will still be a healthy market for candles.  Or the chimney sweep who said that most Americans will keep on burning wood.  Whether it be 2000 BC, 1492 AD, or Carnegie in 19th Century America the desire by the ruling class has been to take as much of the human factor out of making money as possible.   

Sobering thoughts here.  Accurate and sobering.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for starting this thread. The ‘American way of life’ has absolutely nothing to do with race whatsoever. The phrase has always meant that in America (unlike in other countries) you have the freedom to pursue your dreams, the expectation that you’ll be left alone to do so, and the hope that by doing so you’re kids will be better off than you. That’s pretty much it. 

If you want to dig deeper it’s underpinned by the idea that no matter where you came from you’re going to adopt America as your new home and have pride in it, first and foremost, even above your national origin.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1