Antoine Winfield Sr. played 14 seasons and never made it to the Super Bowl. This was his reaction after his son won one in his rookie season.

Mariah

8 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Winfield played 9 (NINE!) more years in Minnesota.  Clements played another 6 years for San Fran and Cinci.  He had 23 INTs in his 6 years here.  He was worth top corner money at the time.  He may not have had the gaudy INT stats for the '9ers, but letting him walk led to drafting Leodis "MAH MAN!"  Letting both of them walk was just stupid, leading to problems in the Bills defensive backfield for years.  But we did that a lot back then (Sam Cowart, London Fletcher, Pat Williams, etc.)

Re Winfield that’s why I said hindsight is 20/20. He ended up with a great career but at that time, what he wanted didn’t line up with his past production. 

I agree that Clements was worth top corner money but his 49ers contract made him the highest paid defensive player in history at that time. He was good but IMO not that good. I can’t blame the Bills for letting him go. 

I don’t disagree with your last point at all though. Pat Williams and London should have been retained although Cowart was never the same after he tore his Achilles. 

32 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Clements got overpaid by 49ers.  Winfield was the guy to keep.  He was a winner.  Same with Pat Williams.  Donahoe usually ended up out-smarting himself.  

I loved the way he’d come up in run support! Slide under the block like he was going into second base, pop up and stick the runner. It was beautiful to watch! 

18 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t remember Sr. Playing with us, as it was before my time, but Jr. is becoming a favorite of mine. He plays the game well, and his trolling of Hill was one of the best non-bills things to happen on a football field this season.

was a fan favorite as he was a smaller guy who loved to tackle and play run defense.  Also good at coverage!