Antoine Winfield Sr. played 14 seasons and never made it to the Super Bowl. This was his reaction after his son won one in his rookie season.

Mariah

48 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sr was a hell of a player.  One of the toughest little dudes I can remember.  Not sure how he would’ve fared in the pass happy NFL of today.  Most of his impact  plays were in run support.  Maybe he would’ve been a safety like Jr.  

his play style would’ve fit well in McDermott Defense at corner or nickel I think...

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

Great video. The Bills not re-signing him to save money was one of the moves that lead to the drought

Winfield & Clements were only together for a few seasons, but they were one of the best CB tandems of all time, imo.

We let go of too many good players in the drought.  Losing good players is standard, but you can't just let everyone go.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Sr was a hell of a player.  One of the toughest little dudes I can remember.  Not sure how he would’ve fared in the pass happy NFL of today.  Most of his impact  plays were in run support.  Maybe he would’ve been a safety like Jr.  

Winfield had good ball skills. He has 1 less career pick than revis with 27

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He was one of the best tacklers for his size in the history of the NFL. He would have done just fine. Used to lay licks on tight ends that were a lot bigger than the ones playing today as they were mostly blockers first.

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Success said:

Winfield & Clements were only together for a few seasons, but they were one of the best CB tandems of all time, imo.

We let go of too many good players in the drought.  Losing good players is standard, but you can't just let everyone go.

Never had the QB so the other players coming and going was meaningless.  Now it gets real. Allen is the best QB since Kelly. Beane and McD are on the clock to produce a SB win in the next two years before Allen's contract makes it much more difficult.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t remember Sr. Playing with us, as it was before my time, but Jr. is becoming a favorite of mine. He plays the game well, and his trolling of Hill was one of the best non-bills things to happen on a football field this season.

He would be the best slot corner in the NFL hands down today

He was a beast and real force in run stuffing as a corner

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Antoine Winfield Sr. was a baller.  Consummate pro, and one of my favorite Bills of that period.  With Nate Clements, we had two shutdown corners.  Donahoe screwed up on Winfield, then Marvcus completed the job by letting Clements get away.  So glad we have competent management now.

You have to put these in context at the time. Winfield wanted top corner money but had 6 ints in 5 seasons with us and only 1 int in his last 2 seasons. He was a really good cover guy but the lack of ints hurt his value. If he had the same production for us that he did for Minny it would be a no brainer. 

Clements got a ridiculous contract that he arguably didn’t come close to living up to. Letting him walk was the right move. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 but many at the time agreed that both got bigger contracts than they really should have. 

1 minute ago, Maybe Someday said:

You have to put these in context at the time. Winfield wanted top corner money but had 6 ints in 5 seasons with us and only 1 int in his last 2 seasons. He was a really good cover guy but the lack of ints hurt his value. If he had the same production for us that he did for Minny it would be a no brainer. 

Clements got a ridiculous contract that he arguably didn’t come close to living up to. Letting him walk was the right move. 

Hindsight is always 20/20 but many at the time agreed that both got bigger contracts than they really should have. 

Winfield played 9 (NINE!) more years in Minnesota.  Clements played another 6 years for San Fran and Cinci.  He had 23 INTs in his 6 years here.  He was worth top corner money at the time.  He may not have had the gaudy INT stats for the '9ers, but letting him walk led to drafting Leodis "MAH MAN!"  Letting both of them walk was just stupid, leading to problems in the Bills defensive backfield for years.  But we did that a lot back then (Sam Cowart, London Fletcher, Pat Williams, etc.)