Ike Boettger - went undrafted

dave mcbride

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly think he played better than Ford....and def better than Winters..... reasons I don’t want them using high draft picks on offensive guards unless they are absolutely studs. 

Like most UDFAs, he is a backup player or spot starter.  There are reasons we can’t run the ball well and he is one of them.  

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

What does this make Ford? Or even Feliciano? 

Ford would want to improve this year and we aren’t 100% sure that Mongo is back...

Prepare yourself for an early pick in the draft at Guard to go along with that other early draft pick you are sweating on to replace Milano .

Lets throw in a CB for the third round and you have got your dream trifecta for exciting early picks...

Edited by Aussie Joe

5 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Like most UDFAs, he is a backup player or spot starter.  There are reasons we can’t run the ball well and he is one of them.  

I mean I agree he isn't the best run blocker.... but he is better at it than our highly paid center and, other than our highly paid center, he is our best interior pass blocker. The Bills have to answer a priority question with the interior of their oline. Do they prioritise protecting Josh, or do they prioritise reviving the run game. If the former they let Feliciano walk and Ike is pencilled in as a starter. If the latter they cut Mitch Morse, start Feliciano at center and look for two guards. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think we'll see as many changes to the OL as some people are suggesting. 

I see a lot of "they're gonna cut Morse." I don't think he played that bad. I think some of his play could've been affected by having different guys on his right and left for some games. I don't think he goes anywhere. I think they see him as an anchor and leader on that OL and he's a smart dude who's helped Josh understand protections and all that stuff. I also don't think Feliciano was any better when he stepped in at center.

Speaking of him, I'm certain the injury he had affected his play at times this year. He struggled at times but other times he was solid. He's a leader and a player that teammates gravitate towards. I think he stays right where he's been on the right side. 

Seems a lot of people are done with Cody Ford. I'm not and neither are the Bills. He's gonna get a chance to take that left guard spot and it'll come down to him and Boettger. 

I do hope they make a real effort to re-sign Daryl Williams. He finally solidified the right tackle spot after they've had issues finding a solid starter over there. I'm betting that they hope Trey Adams can turn into something (he was once viewed as a high round prospect) but I wouldn't bank on that. According to the camp reports last year the dude was getting whooped constantly. He was on everyone's cut list except Beane's so they must see something they can develop. 

I think most of the changes will come in finding better depth. Brian Winters certainly isn't the worst you can do but you can definitely do a lot better. 

21 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly think he played better than Ford....and def better than Winters..... reasons I don’t want them using high draft picks on offensive guards unless they are absolutely studs. 

Are you ok with choosing d-linemen with a high pick if they aren't studs? LB? and on and on and on and on

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I don't think we'll see as many changes to the OL as some people are suggesting. 

I see a lot of "they're gonna cut Morse." I don't think he played that bad. I think some of his play could've been affected by having different guys on his right and left for some games. I don't think he goes anywhere. I think they see him as an anchor and leader on that OL and he's a smart dude who's helped Josh understand protections and all that stuff. I also don't think Feliciano was any better when he stepped in at center.

Speaking of him, I'm certain the injury he had affected his play at times this year. He struggled at times but other times he was solid. He's a leader and a player that teammates gravitate towards. I think he stays right where he's been on the right side. 

Seems a lot of people are done with Cody Ford. I'm not and neither are the Bills. He's gonna get a chance to take that left guard spot and it'll come down to him and Boettger. 

I do hope they make a real effort to re-sign Daryl Williams. He finally solidified the right tackle spot after they've had issues finding a solid starter over there. I'm betting that they hope Trey Adams can turn into something (he was once viewed as a high round prospect) but I wouldn't bank on that. According to the camp reports last year the dude was getting whooped constantly. He was on everyone's cut list except Beane's so they must see something they can develop. 

I think most of the changes will come in finding better depth. Brian Winters certainly isn't the worst you can do but you can definitely do a lot better. 

I’m with you on Ford. He was considered an exceptional RT coming out. Extremely athletic tackle who might have to move to guard if he doesn’t get his footwork down. 

he’s got to be one of the best 5.

And while I get the Mongo love, he’s a better run blocker than pass blocker and really was a turnstile vs chiefs. 

25 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Are you ok with choosing d-linemen with a high pick if they aren't studs? LB? and on and on and on and on

Hahaha. I think what he meant is there is a higher standard for taking a guard or off the ball linebacker early than there is for taking say a defensive end or an offensive tackle. Like generally a guard in the top half of round 1 is madness... but Zack Martin or Quenton Nelson? Yes they are worth it. 

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m with you on Ford. He was considered an exceptional RT coming out. Extremely athletic tackle who might have to move to guard if he doesn’t get his footwork down. 

he’s got to be one of the best 5.

And while I get the Mongo love, he’s a better run blocker than pass blocker and really was a turnstile vs chiefs. 

I say this is a guy that liked Cody coming out, I had a borderline 1st round grade on him.... but as to the bolded..... he has to start playing like that. I don't think he was one of the best 5 linemen to see significant time for the Bills in 2019 and he wasn't in 2020 either. If he is one of the best 5 he will start.... but it is year 3. He has to step up and do it now. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

David Decastro and Quenton Nelson would disagree with you

Decastro went later in round 1 (mid 20s from memory). I still think that was a little high for Decastro who has been a solid top 10 guard but not special. Nelson meets the "absolute stud" definition. 

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I’m not done with Ford but I am ready to move on from Morse. He was a healthy scratch after clearing concussion protocol. He is a below average center paid like a top 3 guy. Pay cut or cut him. I would not draft a guard this year if the bring back Boettger. I want to draft a true center. Cut Morse bring back Feliciano,Williams, and Boettger.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Decastro went later in round 1 (mid 20s from memory). I still think that was a little high for Decastro who has been a solid top 10 guard but not special. Nelson meets the "absolute stud" definition. 

Decastro was injured his first year against the Bills and other than that he has been to the ProBowl six straight years and named All-Pro twice. He would easily be the best lineman on the Bills team. Nelson I agree is on a HOF trajectory if he stays healthy.

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Decastro was injured his first year against the Bills and other than that he has been to the ProBowl six straight years and named All-Pro twice. He would easily be the best lineman on the Bills team. Nelson I agree is on a HOF trajectory if he stays healthy.

DeCastro has been a fine player, no doubt. And agree he'd easily be the best guard on the Bills. Even knowing the career he has had would I take him at #25...  50/50.