Ike Boettger - went undrafted

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

It seems like the Bills got serious value because he was injured (achilles) for his final season at Iowa. I was unaware. He seems to have evolved into a reasonably solid NFL starter, and he is both cheap and under control. https://nflmocks.com/2018/05/10/buffalo-bills-get-udfa-steal-ot-ike-boettger-iowa/

I may misunderstand, but what do you mean when you say "under control"?

He's a FA which means the Bills have a right to tender him.  But as an UDFA, his "original round tender" is pretty meaningless as a deterrent to other teams.

The choices are 1st round, 2nd round, or original round

Cost is of yet unclear, but last year first-round $4,667,000; second-round tenders $3,278,000; original-round tenders $2,144,000

He's either not under control, or we offer him at least $2M.  Thoughts?

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He's a FA which means the Bills have a right to tender him.  But as an UDFA, his "original round tender" is pretty meaningless as a deterrent to other teams.

Cost is of yet unclear, but last year first-round $4,667,000; second-round tenders $3,278,000; original-round tenders $2,144,000

By “under control” I mean he’s a guy for which the Bills have the final say and for which the system allocates a relatively small salary.  I did not say that he was under contract. (It’s akin to MLB’s rules regarding players’ first six years in an organization — they are considered “under control” regardless of contract status).  They do not have final say on players not under team control unless they want to franchise them. Fwiw, I regard $3 million—if it comes to that— for a decent starter a bargain. Of course, the Bills have to believe he’s worth that. But $2 million? Sure, sign me up for that.

PS - as I think about it, if the Bills think he’s truly starting quality, I believe they should probably consider offering him a 3-4 year contract now. It won’t be that much, relatively speaking. Again, the caveat is the Bills’ opinion of him. That I don’t know, but if PFF is any guide, he grades out as a solid starter. 

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am a big Ike fan.  Iowa and Wisconsin know how to develop O lineman.  Guy is solid with a ceiling of being a good to very good NFL player.  I would resign Feliciano and move him to fulltime starting center.  Play Boettger and Ford at Guards.  Resign Darryl Williams at RT and try and trade Mitch Morse.  Morse is not worth the money we are paying him.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

I guess I am in the minority - I thought he was average at best, more below average.  Maybe he will continue to improve but this is an area to upgrade in the draft.

I think he was average to slightly above average and was an upgrade on Ford and Winters and his pass pro was the best the Bills got out of any of their guards this year. I agree, however, that interior oline is an area that needs upgrading. I think Ike and Feliciano would likely rank somewhere around the 20th-25th best guard combo in the league. You are going to need better than that. I still think Ford's ceiling is the highest of the 4 guys they used but he is the one who needs to develop to be considered a potential starter in 2021 IMO. If all the guys are back I'd start Ike and Mongo unless Ford wows me in camp.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly think he played better than Ford....and def better than Winters..... reasons I don’t want them using high draft picks on offensive guards unless they are absolutely studs. 

Agreed. Interestingly, first round picks on guards historically seem to have a lower bust rate than many other positions. This is probably due to what you mentioned above imo.

6 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Is he strong?

Can he run block....

3 hours ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Beane also traded Wyatt Teller.  Let's not get too gaga.

He had much potential. A lot of players do.  He stated his 7 last games because needed.

Maybe he needed more time, but lots of players do but do not improve.

Maybe he needed better coaching or scheme he got with Browns.

Maybe he had to get experience playing but at time he was not playing as well as players ahead of him to be named starter.

Jon Feliciano, Quitting Spain and Spencer Long had played better in preseason at time when he was traded.

Maybe if Quitting Spain had not came into shape in shape and ready for fight for position in 2020 after getting a new contract it would not look as bad of a trade.

Bills seemed to do well with picks for him.