Possible cap casualties from other teams [EditedTitle]

7 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

If we could get rid of Star’s contract then I’d say absolutely 

I wouldn't stop there we need to blow up this line especially from the edges. I would cut Jefferson, Hughes, Addison and Butler as well as Star. This opens up nearly 35 mil in cap space. None of these guys have earned there money. Hughes is a great leader on this team i would offer him a pay cut to stay.

Opening this cap space allows us to go after players like JJ Watt, Trey Hendrickson, Haason Reddick, Yannick Ngakoue & Shaq Barrett if he's available. Any combination of these 2 would be a massive upgrade over those other players that we cut. 

The only guys I would keep are Epenesa, Oliver, Phillips and Zimmer.  There's a ton of good players in free agency on the Defensive side of the ball. We can't miss on a opportunity to reload on Defense. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

26 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I wouldn't stop there we need to blow up this line especially from the edges. I would cut Jefferson, Hughes, Addison and Butler as well as Star. This opens up nearly 35 mil in cap space. None of these guys have earned there money. Hughes is a great leader on this team i would offer him a pay cut to stay.

Opening this cap space allows us to go after players like JJ Watt, Trey Hendrickson, Haason Reddick, Yannick Ngakoue & Shaq Barrett if he's available. Any combination of these 2 would be a massive upgrade over those other players that we cut. 

The only guys I would keep are Epenesa, Oliver, Phillips and Zimmer.  There's a ton of good players in free agency on the Defensive side of the ball. We can't miss on a opportunity to reload on Defense. 

Don’t tell me, let me guess..., you do Madden and fantasy, and can no longer differentiate those things from reality, right?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Cutting Hughes wouldn't be smart unless you have an upgrade ready to go.  And cutting Star pre-June 1st will cost an additional $4.7M against the cap.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, TBBills said:

So instead of adding onto the other thread or the "Awesome list of Free agents" thread you started... Well nm.

He isn't a free agent.  He's a hypothesized cap casualty

4 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Dude, how many games did we win last season?

Where did our defense rank?

How much cap money does one incur?

When one signs FA, does one pay fairly?  Or does one Overpay?

What other needs does the team have, besides DL?

Lastly, You're Silly.

• Haha (+1) 3

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Possible cap casualties from other teams [EditedTitle]

For the B/C level players there will be a buyers market.  You need to have money to take advantage of this opportunity that does not come around often.  The Bills are middle of the pack in terms of cap so many teams are better off and many are worse off.   I think they need to maximize dollars to spend to get some bargains...

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Don’t tell me, let me guess..., you do Madden and fantasy, and can no longer differentiate those things from reality, right?

Go Bills!!!

So instead of giving a reasonable rebuttal to what I was saying u rather try to insult and be humerous. There's nothing Madden about what I was saying. I gurantee we cut at least 3 of them. Beane signed these guys with easy outs from there contracts with little to no cap hit when it comes to Jefferson, Addison and Butler. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

So instead of giving a reasonable rebuttal to what I was saying u rather try to insult and be humerous. There's nothing Madden about what I was saying. I gurantee we cut at least 3 of them. Beane signed these guys with easy outs from there contracts with little to no cap hit when it comes to Jefferson, Addison and Butler. 

I agree, I thought all 3 of them were overpaid until I saw their contracts that had easy outs this year.  I think all 3 are gone as well.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He isn't a free agent.  He's a hypothesized cap casualty

Dude, how many games did we win last season?

Where did our defense rank?

How much cap money does one incur?

When one signs FA, does one pay fairly?  Or does one Overpay?

What other needs does the team have, besides DL?

Lastly, You're Silly.

Did u see what KC did to there D after they lost in 2018 to the Pats. They didn't sit back and relax off there success from the previous season. They went out and made the necessary moves to get them to the next level. We should do the same. The players we brought in last off-season were subpar at best and none of them earned there money. Hughes has been in decline since his great yr in 2018 and I expect him to even decline more this coming season. Star is coming off a full yr off who knows what kind of decline we will see from him at the age of 31. Last of all your very silly for thinking I'm silly. 

5 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

First off, cutting Star actually would cost almost 5 million and yeah that would be smart to do after a year in which we gave up the most yards to tight ends without him after leading the league in fewest yards to tight ends the two years he was there. Hughes is a beloved member of the team who had the second best pass rush block win total and he's been up there every year. I get the three new guys, although I'd still try to get Addison to restructure b/c he made some plays and was clearly a clubhouse leader, and a lot of the success of this team has been the culture. A lot of fans are really quick to want to blow up a 13-3 team that was one game away from the Super Bowl. 

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

First off, cutting Star actually would cost almost 5 million and yeah that would be smart to do after a year in which we gave up the most yards to tight ends without him after leading the league in fewest yards to tight ends the two years he was there. Hughes is a beloved member of the team who had the second best pass rush block win total and he's been up there every year. I get the three new guys, although I'd still try to get Addison to restructure b/c he made some plays and was clearly a clubhouse leader, and a lot of the success of this team has been the culture. A lot of fans are really quick to want to blow up a 13-3 team that was one game away from the Super Bowl. 

Tell that to Andy Reid and Bill Belicheck.

Just now, BillsFan1988 said:

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Btw I didn't know DTs stop TEs . I guess U learn things everyday. If your saying he keeps the Lbers clean and allows the Lbers to roam freely to cover the TEs then u might have something there but I believe that has more to do with stopping opposing teams running games. Btw we also lost Shaq and Jordon Phillips why didn't u mention this guys also.

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Btw I didn't know DTs stop TEs . I guess U learn things everyday. If your saying he keeps the Lbers clean and allows the Lbers to roam freely to cover the TEs then u might have something there but I believe that has more to do with stopping opposing teams running games. Btw we also lost Shaq and Jordon Phillips why didn't u mention this guys also.

Large DTs clog up the space that allows QBs to step into their throws, while also taking up an extra defender oft times. It was actually talked about frequently when they signed Star and sorry, but it just irks me that he did what he was supposed to do yet he was savaged here b/c he doesn't get stats, which is true of most players at his position. Shaq was more responsible for guarding the edge, and occasionally rushing the passer--I actually agree that he didn't get his full due when in Buffalo as he was never supposed to be a 10-sack kind of DE. His loss is relevant in their struggles against the run as he was good at contain. Jordan Phillips, maybe you have a point, but he was a different kind of DT. 

In any case, do you really believe Star was so bad that we should lose 5m in cap space by cutting him? 

39 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Did u see what KC did to there D after they lost in 2018 to the Pats. They didn't sit back and relax off there success from the previous season. They went out and made the necessary moves to get them to the next level. We should do the same.

They made the necessary moves.  They didn't "blow up the line" just to create holes they had to fill with no cap space, for no reason.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

It frees up 4.7 mil this yr and even more next yr when u factor in dead money. 

But it opens up a space and Hughes has been one of the better players at his position for the last few years, even if he does not get so many sacks. Also, you truly underestimate the importance of chemistry on this team and what unnecessary moves can do to morale, not to mention that there's a good chance the player you bring in will not be better than him, especially for 4.7 mil. 

The D-line gets a lot of crap here, but it was actually the 2nd best at winning its pass rush. Also, as McDermott pointed out, there were a lot of new players and the no-preseason, no-real practice put them at a real disadvantage, so McDermott and Beane might not be as eager to move on from them as you are. 

I'm fine with cutting Butler and Jefferson (I'd also be OK with Jefferson's restructure as he showed flashes before this year). If they cut Addison, I trust the process and while I like his enthusiasm, there's a good chance he's in decline. However, cutting Hughes would not be a great move and cutting Star is just insane given that it actually hurts them with the salary cap.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1