Jessica Pegula currently playing 4th round match at Australian Open!

2ForMacAdoo

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Tennis a big deal in Western NY?

Not anymore I guess...

I used to play doubles with my father and his friends as a kid at an indoor place in the winters in Amherst. There was a guy about my age who was annoyingly better than me, and a really cute girl who seemed as serious as he was. I was more interested in her, of course. 

He turned out to be Jimmy Arias who was a top 10 player in the world. I have no idea what happened to the cute girl. 

About 40 years later we move to a new community with a tennis club in Florida. I love my tennis and a guy on the court to my right approaches with a smooth forehand volley that makes me proud to belong to that club! It’s going to be so fun to play with guys with games like that!  NOPE, it was Jimmy Arias giving a lesson for like $200 per hour. 

My delusions of grandeur know no bounds! 

I still wonder what happened to that girl.......

EDIT: After moving to Sarasota in 1993 we became familiar with what eventually became IMG in Bradenton. Players from all over the world came to be part of that.  Too many names to even start a list. Many of those great players ended up making that region their home.  Many of THOSE great players used to participate in exhibitions where we lived for the use of the golf courses without having to join the club. The best names in tennis doing monthly exhibitions for a few free rounds of golf. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I used to play doubles with my father and his friends as a kid at an indoor place in the winters in Amherst. There was a guy about my age who was annoyingly better than me, and a really cute girl who seemed as serious as he was. I was more interested in her, of course. 

He turned out to be Jimmy Arias who was a top 10 player in the world. I have no idea what happened to the cute girl. 

About 40 years later we move to a new community with a tennis club in Florida. I love my tennis and a guy on the court to my right approaches with a smooth forehand volley that makes me proud to belong to that club! It’s going to be so fun to play with guys with games like that!  NOPE, it was Jimmy Arias giving a lesson for like $200 per hour. 

My delusions of grandeur know no bounds! 

I still wonder what happened to that girl.......

EDIT: After moving to Sarasota in 1993 we became familiar with what eventually became IMG in Bradenton. Players from all over the world came to be part of that.  Too many names to even start a list. Many of those great players ended up making that region their home.  Many of THOSE great players used to participate in exhibitions where we lived for the use of the golf courses without having to join the club. The best names in tennis doing monthly exhibitions for a few free rounds of golf. 

I remember playing a doubles match in High School against Arias. It wasn't pretty. 

51 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

I remember playing a doubles match in High School against Arias. It wasn't pretty. 

I met Jimmy Arias at the U.S. Open, told him we were both from Buffalo, he was funny and relaxed. The guy was the prototype for all the big Nick Bollitieri forehands to come: Agassi, etc. No one hit forehands with huge topspin, like almost every player does now, before Arias.  Pretty cool to have contributed to the evolution of a sport.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.