Jessica Pegula currently playing 4th round match at Australian Open!

2ForMacAdoo

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Actually she doesn't. You merely keep adding to the body of evidence I present. She hit the top 25 in 1999. She is 44 now which means she was 22 when that happened and hit #1 at 24.

Born in March of 76, reached #1 in October of 2001, age of 25. Remained in top 3 through the age of 26, and top 10 through the age of 28.

21 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Born in March of 76, reached #1 in October of 2001, age of 25. Remained in top 3 through the age of 26, and top 10 through the age of 28.

Yeah top spot. She was in the top 25 for 2 years prior. Not in the 60-120 range

Edited by Big Turk
  • Dislike 1

19 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah top spot. She was in the top 25 for 3 years prior. Not in the 60-120 range

You should start another thread with the sole purpose of ***** ting on this young woman's accomplishments so you can stop ***** ting on them in this thread.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Hope she wears some Bills stuff tonight - (the greenish stuff was hideous).

Her next match is Tue, 16 Feb 21:00 EST (Wed 13:00 in Melbourne).

Edited by Mr Info
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You should start another thread with the sole purpose of shitting on this young woman's accomplishments so you can stop shitting on them in this thread.

So when people say factually incorrect things repeatedly I should just accept them. Got it. 

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

You should start another thread with the sole purpose of shitting on this young woman's accomplishments so you can stop shitting on them in this thread.

Ignorance sounds like a dirty word, but he’s just totally unaware. Having said that, you shouldn’t be so forward with an opinion (especially after being put on notice) without doing some research. The rankings are not of “who is best”. They are all about how many tournaments have you played, and how have you fared, how many points did you get? Serena Williams and Tiger Woods were lousy at times by his standards. No, they were hurt. 

NOW, if you want to look deeper you’ll find hip and knee surgeries were the reason she didn’t play more, win more and get higher rankings. I try not to spout off and act like an expert when I have no clue. And when I get it wrong, I’m happy to own it and say “my bad”. 

“Her career was stalled by a series of knee and hip injuries, spending a year-and-a-half in recovery after having surgery on her hip. “The last one, my hip, was definitely the hardest to come back from,” Pegula told a news conference.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-ausopen-pegula/no-longer-the-young-american-pegula-keen-to-make-up-for-lost-time-idUKKBN2AD06B

28 minutes ago, eball said:

No, I think your problem is lack of self awareness. 

I think it’s mostly lack of tennis awareness, but I’ll not quibble. There’s certainly plenty of both. I pointed out the injuries about 24 hours ago, but he didn’t want to hear about it. Apparently incapable of adjusting to new information. 

Edited by Augie

34 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Putting gender before accomplishment has the opposite affect it is suppose to. PC thing to say is, this person is accomplishing more than what was expected and doing a great job. Putting gender in it is lessening the accomplishment and putting them in a generic box. We are all unique. 

I could argue that to say she’s a woman lessens her accomplishment in no way whatsoever, but for you to point this out demeans women. I prefer CS (common sense) to PC. Read the words, what do they mean? I think you tried too hard there (unless you were joking, which I hope is the case). He was identifying the player and person (who IS a woman). Is that so hard? She doesn’t play against the men. 

Edited by Augie

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So when people say factually incorrect things repeatedly I should just accept them. Got it. 

If we want to be factual and fair and balances, please give us an breakdown of the injury history I mentioned to you about 24 hours ago. Do knee and hip injuries matter? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tennis-ausopen-pegula/no-longer-the-young-american-pegula-keen-to-make-up-for-lost-time-idUKKBN2AD06B

Just give up. It’s the right thing to do. We are a forgiving group. When I’m wrong I try to own it. It’s not all that rare, unfortunately......ask my wife!   

12 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thank god that family finally caught a break!!! Good for them!

A lot of these rich kids think they hit a triple when they are born on third base.

In baseball terminology do people with abandonment issues get hit by a pitch and think they hit a single?

It's a long way from the coal mine and abandoned on a street corner to $7 billion for the Pegula clan........wouldn't call that a simple 4 bagger.0:)

Here's a cool snippet of an article regarding her last match: Credit to the Guardian

Witt (Tennis coach) said Pegula’s rising confidence is a big part of her progress. She found a sort of kinship with her family’s football team, the Bills, who made the playoffs three of the past four seasons behind quarterback Josh Allen after going nearly two decades without a trip to the postseason.

“Even last year, when he wasn’t playing that well, I was like, ‘I like this kid.’ I loved his competitive spirit. He was a gamer. He just wanted to win. That’s something you love to see,” she said about Allen.

“It’s definitely something I think I tried to take into my game a little bit, even watching the team getting that grit, that competitive attitude, having that mindset in tennis, it’s like 90%, sometimes, of the matches. I think it’s been really cool to watch them and kind of channel that energy into how I’ve been doing.”

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Putting gender before accomplishment has the opposite affect it is suppose to. PC thing to say is, this person is accomplishing more than what was expected and doing a great job. Putting gender in it is lessening the accomplishment and putting them in a generic box. We are all unique and gender adjectives are no longer necessary . 

The adjective in my post is "young;" not "woman."

Check your own grammar before reaching to criticize mine.

7 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Putting gender before accomplishment has the opposite affect it is suppose to. PC thing to say is, this person is accomplishing more than what was expected and doing a great job. Putting gender in it is lessening the accomplishment and putting them in a generic box. We are all unique and gender adjectives are no longer necessary . 

What the hell are you talking about?  Gug’s use of “young woman” was clearly a descriptor — just like someone defending Josh Allen would say “this young man’s accomplishments.”

Good grief, people are nuts these days.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, whatdrought said:

meeting of the coalition of negative Nancy’s: 

Negative Nancy president: “well boys, the bills season is officially over. It was a very good season to remind everyone how much they suck. People think things like winning define a good sports experience, but we showed them. Now. What’s next?”

Assistant to the negative Nancy: “well, the Sabres suck, but that feels like a dead horse. I am getting something about... hang on, let me check my notes.... ah yes. Female tennis. Something about unprecedented success on a world stage. I don’t think we really know anything about tennis, or females for that matter, but this the best we’ve got.”

president: *rubbing hands together* “it’s perfect...”

excellent.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.