Jessica Pegula currently playing 4th round match at Australian Open!

2ForMacAdoo

Getting to the quarterfinals of a Grand Slam is an incredible achievement for anyone. There are so many levels of tennis you have to dominate to get to the final eight in Melbourne. Literally millions of kids wish for, work their a@@es off for, and never have an accomplishment like this. The Pegulas should be, and most probably are, damn proud.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

OK, but if she goes to the next tournament and gets smoked by the 100th ranked player in straight sets in the first round, what difference does it make?  Elite players are elite because they play at that level 95% of the time.  She hasn't proven that this isn't the exception yet for her.  At age 26, I have a hard time believing she suddenly will become elite 8 years after most of the star women players do so...

Jennifer Capriati begs to differ.

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

OK, but if she goes to the next tournament and gets smoked by the 100th ranked player in straight sets in the first round, what difference does it make?  Elite players are elite because they play at that level 95% of the time.  She hasn't proven that this isn't the exception yet for her.  At age 26, I have a hard time believing she suddenly will become elite 8 years after most of the star women players do so...

Well this may have been true in tennis 10 years ago it is not the case anymore. Many professional tennis players men and women are growing in to their potential well into their late 20’s. I am an avid USTA player and I watch almost every match I can all year. Many pros play well into their late 30’s now as well. Much like many pro sports, in tennis athletic longevity has led to a longer developmental periods. 26 could mean that Jessie plays well until she is 36. With a good period of time at the elite level she is playing at now. I would say elite is the 99.5 percentile and above. In tennis that is equal to the top 50. A fact that Andy Roddick had to constantly explain to the American public. To the extent that it really pushed him to an early retirement. He had at least another 5 years and 3 or 4 GS finals left in the tank. It just meant nothing to American tennis fans until we saw the vacuum left in his wake. Jessica is elite! 

Edited by Lenigmusx

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Congrats to Jess!  Definitely a shot for her to get to the semifinals...but then the #1 (and home favorite) Barty likely awaits...

She played some great tennis last night.  Looked like she got a little caught up in the moment in the 2nd set.  She was poised (up a break) to win in straight sets.  But she turned it on again in the 3rd.  If she can keep her focus and keep her unforced errors down, I think she can beat anyone in this tournament.

With no baseball and no football, I'm happy that this is on!!

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

She played some great tennis last night.  Looked like she got a little caught up in the moment in the 2nd set.  She was poised (up a break) to win in straight sets.  But she turned it on again in the 3rd.  If she can keep her focus and keep her unforced errors down, I think she can beat anyone in this tournament.

With no baseball and no football, I'm happy that this is on!!

Yeah I took a glance at the scores and it looks like she has been cruising.  I'm also glad she's not one of those "grunters."  Jesus.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah I took a glance at the scores and it looks like she has been cruising.  I'm also glad she's not one of those "grunters."  Jesus.

I said the same to myself re: the grunts.  Jesus.  That crap started with Monica Seles who sounded like she was being attacked by a mob every time she swung her racket.  I hate it and always have.

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Brady was not great young. Defense won the first years he was in the pros. He was not special until later. He was a 6th round pick. He struggled to start in college. Then he later became the best of all time.

Jessica will not be that by any means, but she’s trending up and doing very well. YOU put to much emphasis on age. I think Mardy Fish was a better player later in his career. Same with Martina Navratilova. Plenty of the young flashes burn out. Jennifer Capriati and Martina Hingis were stars as teenagers, then they were gone. That list is long. There is not one single path to success. 

I’m sick of going back and forth, this is tiresome and silly. I’m just happy for her and her family. You do NOT have to be great at 16 to have a great career. You are trying to prove your point and I’m not buying it. If not for a couple injury plagued years, this might have happened sooner. 

Have a nice night. 

I agree with you generally speaking, but Brady was actually very, very good in college. His situation was unique because Michigan successfully recruited Drew Henson, who was regarded as the best qb prospect in many a year. He was good from the get go in the pros too. He played EXTREMELY well overall in 2001 given the situation.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

Jennifer Capriati begs to differ.

Actually she doesn't. You merely keep adding to the body of evidence I present. She hit the top 25 in 1999. She is 44 now which means she was 22 when that happened and hit #1 at 24.

• Dislike 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

There is just that element in the Buffalo fan base (probably in all) that immediately has to find the most negative spin on everything and anything...it's as if joy and enjoyment are such limited qualities, we have to ration them...it gets tiresome.  

I don´t understand the ¨ all¨ qualifier you used there, I think many Buffalo fans are positive people, there is no other way we could´ve stood the long losing streaks, just saying...

Edited by BuffaLoko

Thank god that family finally caught a break!!! Good for them!

Even though I can’t get crazy excited for the daughter of billionaire, it is extremely impressive what she is doing. A lot of these rich kids think they hit a triple when they are born on third base. I salute her for carving her own path. Kim is still the best though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.