Jessica Pegula currently playing 4th round match at Australian Open!

2ForMacAdoo

9 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

She won.

Her first ever top 10 win and on to the quarter finals in a major! That is AWESOME!!!

Where are the clowns with the “little rich girl and her hobby” takes? She is an elite, world class athlete!  CONGRATS!!! 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Her first ever top 10 win and on to the quarter finals in a major! That is AWESOME!!!

Where are the clowns with the “little rich girl and her hobby” takes? She is an elite, world class athlete!  CONGRATS!!! 

Well, she is ranked 61st in the world.  Not exactly elite, but pretty good.  She is going to need to show this consistently and prove this isn't a one off "tournament of her life" performance if she wants to keep climbing and enter elite status, which in my eyes would be inside the top 10.  I kind of feel this might be a one off considering she is 26 years old and most women tennis players are at their best in their late teens and early 20s.

Edited by Big Turk

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well, she is ranked 61st in the world.  Not exactly elite, but pretty good.  She is going to need to show this consistently and prove this isn't a one off "tournament of her life" performance if she wants to keep climbing and enter elite status, which in my eyes would be inside the top 10.

After her LAST win she was to move up to #41 in the world. That will be a good bit higher after beating the #5 player in the world and advancing to the quarters. Go watch just a COLLEGE match and see how good they are. It’s freaking incredible! She is one of a handful of women (many Americans BTW) heading into their Quarters at a Major. THAT is elite in MY mind! 

Are you aware of her deep run in a major last year? She didn’t get THIS far, but she is indeed trending in a very positive way. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 5

Just now, Augie said:

After her LAST win she was to move up to #41 in the world. That will be a good bit higher after beating the #5 player and advancing to the quarters. Go watch just a COLLGE match and see how good they are. It’s freaking incredible! She is one of a handful of women (many Americans BTW) heading into their Quarters at a Major. THAT is elite in MY mind! 

OK, but if she goes to the next tournament and gets smoked by the 100th ranked player in straight sets in the first round, what difference does it make?  Elite players are elite because they play at that level 95% of the time.  She hasn't proven that this isn't the exception yet for her.  At age 26, I have a hard time believing she suddenly will become elite 8 years after most of the star women players do so...

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 6

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well, she is ranked 61st in the world.  Not exactly elite, but pretty good.  She is going to need to show this consistently and prove this isn't a one off "tournament of her life" performance if she wants to keep climbing and enter elite status, which in my eyes would be inside the top 10.  I kind of feel this might be a one off considering she is 26 years old and most women tennis players are at their best in their late teens and early 20s.

Glad you could enjoy the win!!!  Did you try to hang yourself after the Bills made it to the AFC Championship Game?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

OK, but if she goes to the next tournament and gets smoked by the 100th ranked player in straight sets in the first round, what difference does it make?  Elite players are elite because they play at that level 95% of the time.  She hasn't proven that this isn't the exception yet for her.  At age 26, I have a hard time believing she suddenly will become elite 8 years after most of the star women players do so...

I’ll enjoy a great run and hope for the best moving forward. I’m not declaring her the GOAT, just acknowledging her excellent play right NOW.  This is an AMAZING achievement, and I will recognize it as just that. My wet blanket got thrown in the dryer today. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The average age of the top 5 Women's tennis players is 25 years old.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.