Addressing our needs...

glazeduck

On 2/13/2021 at 7:31 AM, glazeduck said:

IF he goes that high, then I agree, we can only afford to swing so big. That said, QBs, LTs and pass rushers always get pushed up the board. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, Lance, Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw all go ahead of him, and it's conceivable that Mac Jones, an edge rusher or two, another OT or two, and Waddle or Chase go ahead of him too.

Would have to work out right for us, but if he were there at 12 or 13, it'd be worth our 1, 2 and 3, I think.

Oh, please.

Can we give up on the idea of trading up in that way? Particularly this year.,

Beane trades up ... but only one way ... if he only has to give up a late-round pick. He tells us how much he values draft picks. Then after each draft he says it again. Yet every year people pretend we're likely to make a draft trade-up that's big. He's never traded away a lot to trade up with the one exception of the year that he assembled all the draft capital to trade up for a QB. 

And he particularly isn't going to do that in a year when our lousy cap situation means we can't bring in a lot of FAs to fill holes.

Not gonna happen.

Now, would he trade up to #26 or something if he had to give up maybe a 4th or a 5th? Frankly I doubt it this year, but at least this is the kind of thing that he does.

The draft is absolutely crucial for us this year. We're going to have to get guys who can contribute their first year. We'll need our first three picks to do that.

I'd love Kyle Pitts, too. Don't get me wrong. But it's not going to happen this year unless he drops like a stone.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

It’s still early for me, still trying to get a feel for the draft but I like:

Carlos Basham, DE, Wake Forest

Zaven Collins, OLB, Tulsa

Jeremiah Owusu, LB, Norte Dame

Hoping we can grab an interior lineman or tackle depth in RD2. TE RD3-4.

JOK will be gone before the Bills pick. He is an excellent player. Definitely top 15 in this draft. He could be the big nickel piece McDermott has been looking for the past 4 years. Play as an outside linebacker in base and then as the big nickel in sub. 

Collins I like a lot. I think his ideal fit is as an EDGE in a 3-4. If the Bills drafted him I think he might come in a bit positionless while they figure out whether he is a linebacker or an edge rusher in our scheme. I'd be tempted to try him edge first even in our scheme but that might be an adjustment. 

Basham seems to be a favourite on the board early this draft season but having actually done some work on him for the first time yesterday.... I am a bit non plussed. He is a power rusher and he does have a nice spin move but he lacks some burst and some bend and he is really susceptible to any misdirection, the number of times on his tape that he ends up chasing a guy who doesn't have the ball is a concern. He has some ability but he isn't a game changing defensive end. Day 2 player.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

JOK will be gone before the Bills pick. He is an excellent player. Definitely top 15 in this draft. He could be the big nickel piece McDermott has been looking for the past 4 years. Play as an outside linebacker in base and then as the big nickel in sub. 

Collins I like a lot. I think his ideal fit is as an EDGE in a 3-4. If the Bills drafted him I think he might come in a bit positionless while they figure out whether he is a linebacker or an edge rusher in our scheme. I'd be tempted to try him edge first even in our scheme but that might be an adjustment. 

Basham seems to be a favourite on the board early this draft season but having actually done some work on him for the first time yesterday.... I am a bit non plussed. He is a power rusher and he does have a nice spin move but he lacks some burst and some bend and he is really susceptible to any misdirection, the number of times on his tape that he ends up chasing a guy who doesn't have the ball is a concern. He has some ability but he isn't a game changing defensive end. Day 2 player.

Gunner, you don’t see Collins as a replacement for Milano? JOK weight seems to be an issue for me at LB in the NFL

15 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Gunner, you don’t see Collins as a replacement for Milano? JOK weight seems to be an issue for me at LB in the NFL

So as I say I think JOK is a guy who plays as a weakside 'backer on first down and then as a big nickel. I think he is a pure playmaker who will always be around the ball. 

Collins, I don't really see as a Milano replacement. I think he is better going towards the line of scrimmage rather than laterally in space at this moment. But he is a really talented guy and you might be able to mould him into what you want him to be.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So as I say I think JOK is a guy who plays as a weakside 'backer on first down and then as a big nickel. I think he is a pure playmaker who will always be around the ball. 

Collins, I don't really see as a Milano replacement. I think he is better going towards the line of scrimmage rather than laterally in space at this moment. But he is a really talented guy and you might be able to mould him into what you want him to be.

I wouldn’t want to waste a 1st on JOK when I can get a Hamsah Nasildireen later. He can be my “big nickel”. With Collins I see his lateral movement skills, size next to Edmunds to help with the run and when he blitzes... Unfortunately, I don’t see Collins making it to 30

All the guys they brought in on the defensive side of the ball last season really haven't made a big difference if anything they have underperformed for the money the Bills can save a bunch of money by cutting them i would rather see a Ryan Kerrigan or JJ even with them being on the down side of their career .

The Bills are close to the cap but there are ways they can get around it this yr which just adds to Beane's brilliance as our GM he always seems to leave a good escape plan as to not owe a ton as far as the cap is concerned if the players brought in don't live up to their contract which not many of the new guys did .

Don't know exactly how J. Phillips did in AZ last season but they may have been better off keeping him then letting him walk if the contracts they gave the new guys were close to what he wanted his play was definitely better while he was here & he seemed to be a Bills type player ! 

Edited by T master

If we want to go to a SB, let alone win one,  we need a pass rush. If Beane wants to perform some magic he should jettison Butler, Addison, Jefferson and Murphy.  Also say goodbye to Smoke. Pair up Ngakoue with a final year of Hughes. Then draft Basham in the 2nd round and develop him with AJ.  In theory Oliver should improve with Star. Phillips & Zimmer can rotate. Our front 4 is critical to making that next step beyond a afccg appearance. 

On 2/14/2021 at 2:16 AM, Big Blitz said:

Things will be a whole lot easier if guys we spent top picks on in the last 3 drafts that play positions we see as needs (DT/DE, interior OL) make big time leaps---Oliver, AJ, Harry, and Cody Ford.

It would even be easier if we get, say, 1 taking a leap and 1 taking a step into solid.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:58 AM, T master said:

Don't know exactly how J. Phillips did in AZ last season but they may have been better off keeping him then letting him walk if the contracts they gave the new guys were close to what he wanted his play was definitely better while he was here & he seemed to be a Bills type player ! 

Played in 9 games,  2 sacks, 3 QB hits, 10 tackles.  Would project out to 3.5 sacks and 5 QB hits on a 16 game season.

So not nearly the 2019 year he had in B'lo.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, GunnerBill said:

That's concerning, about Basham. I'd sort of generally hoped he would be a good fit.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:59 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

If we want to go to a SB, let alone win one,  we need a pass rush. If Beane wants to perform some magic he should jettison Butler, Addison, Jefferson and Murphy.  Also say goodbye to Smoke. Pair up Ngakoue with a final year of Hughes. Then draft Basham in the 2nd round and develop him with AJ.  In theory Oliver should improve with Star. Phillips & Zimmer can rotate. Our front 4 is critical to making that next step beyond a afccg appearance. 

We don't have to jettison Murphy. He's not under contract.

Me, I hope they get that DE FA from Cincy, Carl Lawson, if they like him as much as I do with a quick bit of research. He seems like he'd be a good bookend with Hughes.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:33 PM, Rc2catch said:

Kawann short has played like 3 games in 2 years or something. And if I recall is 10+ million in dead cap for Carolina to cut. 

I think corner is ok if wallace is here plus Dane Siran and taron. 

I think safety is ok, we have Jaquan still and I think Siran Neal was a safety in college and was converted here. I’m sure we’ll add one or bring Marlowe back. 

Pass rush is 100% priority #1 whoever that may be. 

I think milanos spot will get filled in the draft paired with Klein and maybe a really low tier free agent. 

Tight end we have to sign probably at least one. I like Everett from LA. I’d even toss a couple bucks at Jordan reed even with the health concerns. 

I want Kalif Raymond from Tennessee. Kid killed us in our game against them and I think his speed would be huge here in mckenzies role. 

Im not as concerned for running backs, I’d like a speedy guy who can return as well if needed. A young Taiwan Jones would be ideal in lower draft rounds. 

Definitely, Gerald Everett and Kalif Raymond are both really interesting fits for us in FA. Underused by their current teams IMO and hopefully shouldn't break the bank either. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Definitely, Gerald Everett and Kalif Raymond are both really interesting fits for us in FA. Underused by their current teams IMO and hopefully shouldn't break the bank either. 

Everett will get paid, I think, if for nothing else, than just how bad this FA class is at TE. 

I'm indifferent on Raymond. I can see the appeal, but you also have to wonder why he's never really popped in an offense that's basically held the door wide open for someone *to* pop.

On 2/14/2021 at 2:50 AM, GunnerBill said:

Buffalo Fanatics likes Collins:

image.thumb.png.233f5e4ec21d900f94a680fd30ee81dc.png

Profile on him:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/draft/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-lb-zaven-collins-tulsa

A CBS article on top 5 defenders at each position:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-breaking-down-the-top-5-prospects-at-each-defensive-position/

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yea while I think Collins is not an ideal plug and play scheme fit he is a super talented, high ceiling guy if they can carve a role out for him. They could maybe use him more like they used Zo his last two years. But that means going away from as much 2 linebacker stuff.

On 2/12/2021 at 5:14 PM, glazeduck said:

This is shaping up to be an extremely interesting offseason... On the one hand, we're now one of the best teams in the league, with most of the necessary foundational pieces to truly compete for a title. On the other hand, we have a lot of needs to address, limited cap space, and a back-of-the-round draft slot. I had a longer version of this written out but it became a tl/dr post, so instead of going super deep into my thinking, here's how I'd like us to approach the offseason, philosophy and examples or specifics...

Needs (not necessarily in priority order):

• #2 CB: While a Patrick Peterson would be sweet, McBeane's shown their abilities to evaluate and find underrated CBs. Because of that (even though it's arguably our biggest need), shouldn't be a big "spend" -- I'd look for a younger, mid-tier, high-upside CB that would excel in our zone scheme (Kevin King, Dre Kirkpatrick, Darqueze Dennard, just a few examples)
  • Milano replacement: Another spot I think you'll find "value" at -- need a guy who excels in coverage. Thomas Davis is the name that instantly stands out for obvious reasons, but Kevin Pierre-Louis, Mychal Kendricks, Malcolm Smith, and Todd Davis might all fit the bill at a reasonable cost as well.
  • Pass Rush: This to me is our most glaring need, it's also the most difficult to come by. If there's a reasonable option in the draft, I'd be open to it, but usually those guys go top-15. Ryan Kerrigan or Olivier Vernon might offer the best combo of affordability/availability/performance for the value. On the interior, it's looking like Kawaan Short might get released, again, obvious reasons why that might make sense.  
  • OL Help: sounds like retaining Mongo is a matter of working out the #, who knows with Williams, and obviously Ford will be back. Barring a surprise cut, I'm not sure this is a position that we'll see a lot of change in (unless Williams bolts). Kelechi Osemele is someone who might be worth looking into, on the older side of things, but he's a road grader when healthy.
  • Safety depth: This is an underrated one for me. Both Poyer and Hyde are getting up there in years and as others have pointed out, both have reasonably large cap hits. Malik Booker is a guy who I would LOVE to see us sign. He'll probably be more expensive than a lesser need like this should afford, due to his top-10 draft pedigree, but if we can get him cheap enough, I think he'd thrive under McDermott. Absent that, there are a number of lesser-rated CBs in the draft that I think would be tremendous safeties (DD Lenoir, Shaun Wade, Olijiah Griffin, to name a few)
  • TE: While this is absolutely not our most pressing need, it's where I'd love to see us swing big. The TE FA sucks and we just saw what having an impact TE can do for your offense. It'd be costly, but I'd love to see us put a package of picks together to go get Kyle Pitts. He's big, so he'd help in the RZ and on short-distance plays, he's fast and agile so he'd help in stretching the field vertically, he's basically a big-bodied WR and TE in one. We saw what this offense can do with one great receiving weapon, imagine adding that element...
  • RB: If we swing big on Pitts, this would either have to be a vet-min guy or later rd draft pick. I'm sure a lot of you like Patterson, but to me, the best RB in this draft, relative to where he'll be drafted is Jermar Jefferson. That said, there's a number of guys who could probably be had in the 5th/6th range that could work (Jefferson, Sermon, Hubbard)
  • Other: 
    • Josh Dobbs for backup QB 
    • Late rd. draft depth guys -- swing for the fences: Joshua Kaindoah, Jonathan Adams Jr., EDIT: Nico Collins will also be severely under-drafted.

Olivier Vernon tore his achilles at the end of the 2020 season. Short is basically done. He is 32 and has played 5 games in the past two seasons. 

On 2/14/2021 at 11:31 AM, GunnerBill said:

I think LB is basically the equivalent of RB on defense—some are obviously better than others, but there’s a dime-a-dozen quality to LBs and they can be found up and down the draft. The three first team all-pro LBs this year were drafted after the first round: Warner (3rd), Leonard (2nd), and Wagner (2nd). On the second team, Demario Davis was a mid-3rd rounder and Lavonte David was a late second rounder. Devin White and Roquan Smith were first rounders, but looking at all pro teams over the years, there are lots of mid-round guys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea while I think Collins is not an ideal plug and play scheme fit he is a super talented, high ceiling guy if they can carve a role out for him. They could maybe use him more like they used Zo his last two years. But that means going away from as much 2 linebacker stuff.

Think Collins would be a good fit at MLB. He’s better in coverage than people think and he doesn’t get bossed around by OL, can rush the passer.