Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, the GB and Pitt just seem like lazy takes. He's from Wisc, and his brother plays in Pitt. So what.

We could get there by releasing Butler and Jefferson too. I wouldnt mind keeping Addison around. He was the best of the under-performing bunch.

I like Jefferson a lot better than Addison.  Not to mention, the age difference.  I felt like Hughes and Addison provided the same role.

25 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Hard to compare pouting your way off a team to respectfully asking to be released and being granted it.  The roster is devoid of talent, and didnt have to be... he wants a ring, does anyone blame him?  Helped the Texans shed $ they couldnt afford in the process

That last is a key point.  Releasing JJ Watt is a single move that will put the Texans about $3M under a $180.5M cap

52 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

Interesting, thanks. I didnt realize where they were cap wise, etc.

Interesting though that Vegas has Pittsburgh as the second best favorite to sign him, so we'll see.

Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Favorites to sign JJ Watt:

Packers +150

Steelers +200

Bucs +400

Browns +500

Titans +700

49ers +800

Patriots +900

Colts +1000

Ravens +1200

Bears +1500

Cowboys +1800

Raiders +2000

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

I like Jefferson a lot better than Addison.  Not to mention, the age difference.  I felt like Hughes and Addison provided the same role.

I asked this before and no one answered.  How did the Bills use Jefferson last season?

From what I saw, it was at 3TDT primarily with some short doses of 1TDT

I didn't see him play edge at all.

The point of the above is that saying you like Jefferson a lot better than Addison is like saying you like Knox a lot better than Singletary.  That's nice.  They play different positions.

As far as Hughes and Addison providing the same role, well, we need 2 DE.  Hughes had a much better win rate than Addison AFAIK.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Plenty left in his self promotional tank.  Football tank?  Probably not.

The good:

Played in all 16 games season. Played 91% of the snaps. 14 TFL. 7 Passes Defended. 12 QB Knock Downs.

The Bad:

In 16 games - 5 sacks vs 16 in 2018. 2 Forced Fumbles vs 7 in 2018. 11 QB Hurries and 29 Pressures vs. 32 Hurries and 60 pressures in 2018. 

From this I see that he has possibly lost a step. Still an impact player but not the same burst that is needed for a 15 sack type of guy. He would still come in and be our best edge rusher however. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I asked this before and no one answered.  How did the Bills use Jefferson last season?

From what I saw, it was at 3TDT primarily with some short doses of 1TDT

I didn't see him play edge at all.

The point of the above is that saying you like Jefferson a lot better than Addison is like saying you like Knox a lot better than Singletary.  That's nice.  They play different positions.

As far as Hughes and Addison providing the same role, well, we need 2 DE.  Hughes had a much better win rate than Addison AFAIK.

Nope, not at all.  The d line has a certain allocation of money.  I would rather the allocated money go to Jefferson the DT, than Addison the DE.  

Addison was never comfortable playing LDE.  Him and Hughes ended up both playing RDE majority of their snaps because Addison was pretty useless on the LDE.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

You don’t trade JJ Watt if you’re the Texans, you release him so he can go where he wants. It’s the classy move.

LOL.  They aren't concerned with class.  They are concerned with return on investment.

If there is none there to receive, cut bait and move on.

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Plenty left in his self promotional tank.  Football tank?  Probably not.

I care more about the second part. If the answer is yes, McBeane should acknowledge that they will have to relieve some self-imposed "process" constraints to win the big one. As long as said self promotion doesnt hurt team chemistry (and I think the overall team makeup will temper it), we should absolutely be turning every rock to fill in the key pieces which will help us win it all. Pass rush is a clear need - we saw the contrast in Mahomes play facing said rush (bucs) and not facing one (Bills). 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

The good:

Played in all 16 games season. Played 91% of the snaps. 14 TFL. 7 Passes Defended. 12 QB Knock Downs.

The Bad:

In 16 games - 5 sacks vs 16 in 2018. 2 Forced Fumbles vs 7 in 2018. 11 QB Hurries and 29 Pressures vs. 32 Hurries and 60 pressures in 2018. 

From this I see that he has possibly lost a step. Still an impact player but not the same burst that is needed for a 15 sack type of guy. He would still come in and be our best edge rusher however. 

I think the idea is, if he came to Buffalo where we have a decent rotation, and he didnt have to play 91% of the snaps, he could stay fresher and perform better.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This guy annoys me.... that being said he'd be a big help to the defensive line despite his injury history and slight decline in production. 

Yeah the NFL just can't have guys like JJ Watt, a Walter Payton man of the year winner in it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Hard to compare pouting your way off a team to respectfully asking to be released and being granted it.  The roster is devoid of talent, and didnt have to be... he wants a ring, does anyone blame him?  Helped the Texans shed $ they couldnt afford in the process

O.J. and J.K. "respectfully" wanted no part of coming to Buffalo. The teams were bad.

Rotten Ralph should have respected their not wanting to be here.

If the price is right then I would be on board, but I'm sure he will have plenty of suitors.  There's younger very good d-lineman available this year as well - that's the route I would take if The Bills decide to spend some cash on one higher up free agent.