Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm fine with him doing whatever he wants. 

What I really was saying is that I'm like a girl waiting to get asked to the prom.  The longer he waits to ask, the more he's saying to me I'm not the one.   If the question is that close for him, I'm not happy.  

(this has probably been said more than once in this 84 page thread) 

JJ is probably waiting to hear what the official new salary cap is.  Kind of foolish for him to sign a deal now and then it turns out the NFL goes "LOL we were joking, cap's at $205mil and not the $175/$180mil you were speculating".

Edited by delirious
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, delirious said:

(this has probably been said more than once in this 84 page thread) 

JJ is probably waiting to hear what the official new salary cap is.  Kind of foolish for him to sign a deal now and then it turns out the NFL goes "LOL we were joking, cap's at $205mil and not the $175/$180mil you were speculating".

Well, I've been saying all along that I don't want him if money is driving him, but I what I've meant by that is I want him to come to the Bills for less than some other team is offering.   If as you say, it's possible for the cap to go that high, then he'd be foolish to sign now and leave a few million on the table just because he wanted to get it done.   If the Bills are offering $12 and the cap goes to $200, he can get another million or two or three out of the Bills. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Anyone remember the Tyson Clabo thread? Those were sad times. 

Honestly, it’s probably for the best.  There’s a guy in the draft that is a better player than Watt is right now. 

Who? And will he be there at 30?

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I've been saying all along that I don't want him if money is driving him, but I what I've meant by that is I want him to come to the Bills for less than some other team is offering.   If as you say, it's possible for the cap to go that high, then he'd be foolish to sign now and leave a few million on the table just because he wanted to get it done.   If the Bills are offering $12 and the cap goes to $200, he can get another million or two or three out of the Bills. 

I agree with you, Shaw. If he is looking for every last penny then more power to him but Buffalo is not the place for him. I think it's pretty well established now that the salary cap will fall somewhere between $180 - $185 million. It's not even going into the $190s, let alone the $200s.

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm fine with him doing whatever he wants. 

What I really was saying is that I'm like a girl waiting to get asked to the prom.  The longer he waits to ask, the more he's saying to me I'm not the one.   If the question is that close for him, I'm not happy.  

Who cares? If the Bills aren't his automatic first choice, you're not interested? Do you think Buffalo was Diggs' first choice?

This is nothing like asking a girl out to the prom or whatever.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Who cares? If the Bills aren't his automatic first choice, you're not interested? Do you think Buffalo was Diggs' first choice?

JJ Watt should want to die as a Buffalo Bill! Josh was born wanting to be a Bill even though he grew up a Tom Brady fan. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, FireChans said:

JJ Watt should want to die as a Buffalo Bill! Josh was born wanting to be a Bill even though he grew up a Tom Brady fan. 

I'm glad the FO doesn't think this way or we would have like 5 players. The Bills aren't the only contenders and one of the contenders in on him is his childhood team. Why wouldn't that cause conflict? Conversely, I would question the decision making of a player who has extreme tunnel vision.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah but there's no reason for teams to rush into it. It makes no difference if he signs now or he signs one day before free agency. For teams like us and the Packers and the Titans a $2 million difference is meaningful.

Unless I've missed something I haven't seen any team re-sign a player or pick up a 5th year option yet. The only moves I've seen so far are teams releasing players. That tells me teams are being extra cautious right now and no new player contracts will be inked until the NFL finalizes the cap number. Once that happens I bet Watt is signed somewhere within a couple days.

Yes and no on the teams. They need to get their other FA priorities in line plus get their draft board in order. Plus know how much $ they have to work with. The sooner the better from their standpoint. They need to be under the cap by 3/17 so other moves hinge on this one 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Who? And will he be there at 30?

Trey Hendrickson was a 3rd rounder. za'darius smith Was a 4th rounder. stephon tuitt Was a 2nd rounder. romeo okwara And Shaq Barrett weren’t drafted.

of course if the Bills sign Watt, I’d be extremely happy. But $10 million/ year at least plus for a guy with 9 sacks in 2 years who has major injury issues is a big scary. I’d like to think McDermott could find a young hungry guy in the draft who is on the rise or a FA who is trending up and doesn’t have the name recognition. 

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Make a list of the most attractive girls and just go down the list. Shooters shoot. 

4 hours ago, ngbills said:

Bills not even listed in top 8 now...

not that this means anything but this is where money is...

Cleveland is the favorite, followed by Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, according to Points Bet.

Tennessee isn’t even listed here and you take these guys seriously? 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trey Hendrickson was a 3rd rounder. za'darius smith Was a 4th rounder. stephon tuitt Was a 2nd rounder. romeo okwara And Shaq Barrett weren’t drafted.

of course if the Bills sign Watt, I’d be extremely happy. But $10 million/ year at least plus for a guy with 9 sacks in 2 years who has major injury issues is a big scary. I’d like to think McDermott could find a young hungry guy in the draft who is on the rise or a FA who is trending up and doesn’t have the name recognition. 

I’m not making a case for Watt one way or the other as there are perfectly valid reasons on both sides of the issue. I was legit asking about a DE at pick 30 who is as good as Watt is right now and thought you had a specific prospect in mind. 

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Bills not even listed in top 8 now...

not that this means anything but this is where money is...

Cleveland is the favorite, followed by Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, according to Points Bet.

Who the hell is points bet? Laughable 😂

Article is from February 12 😂😂😂

That’s the same day he was released 😂😂