Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

The pout your way off a team isn't anything new. It's definitely becoming more in vogue in the NFL.

With that and tight salary caps, players will be flip flopping team to team NBA style real soon.

Hard to compare pouting your way off a team to respectfully asking to be released and being granted it.  The roster is devoid of talent, and didnt have to be... he wants a ring, does anyone blame him?  Helped the Texans shed $ they couldnt afford in the process

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

Green Bay makes sense but they have some issues of their own. They are worse off cap wise and Rodgers doesn’t seem very happy there.  The hometown angle is an X factor, but Bills make more sense if like Gronk that’s not important to him.  

Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere in the thread, but doesn't Green Bay have a new defensive coordinator, and one who wasn't particularly inspiring? A new system with someone less than ideal might be a detractor.

I would think his list only includes team that have a chance to win it all.

KC, TB, BUF, GB, BAL, LAR are the most popular choices. 

BAL and TB have space already. BUF would need to create it it. KC, LAR and GB are all $20M + over the cap.

20 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He's going to the Packers. He grew up there, it was his favorite team growing up, he played at Wisconsin, he has expressed a desire to stay in the Midwest, and they have the best chance to get to the super bowl next to Tampa

This makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, Joe Barry's prior record as defensive coordinator is not too inspiring.

Could be "third time's the charm"

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/06/report-packers-plan-to-hire-joe-barry-as-defensive-coordinator/

And of course, as pointed out, GB is cap-strapped

He is smart and highly self promotional.  He will go to a team that had a bad 2020 record but which could improve based on roster strength/cap room/draft capital.  When their record is better in 2021 he can take the credit.  The top candidates I see are:

Jax

SF

Chargers

maybes:

Atlanta

Giants

Cowboys

possible:

Mia

Ariz

Jets

Pitt

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Eyeroll 1

He's ripe to sign with Buffalo. It is the perfect fit. Young and upcoming with a very large playoff window.

And then there is the need for a player with JJ's skill set.

Lack of a pass rush killed us against KC.

But as others have asked, is there anything left in the tank?

15 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

His production has dipped significantly in the past two seasons. IMO, it would be like when the Bills brought in Shawne Merriman. I’d have to pass.

I don't think it's quite the same.  Watt played in 16/16 games this past season, 8 games then returned hella early and played 2 playoff games last season.  Last season, he was clearly a contributor on a crap defense.

Merriman had only played in 3 games the season before the Bills signed him, was a non contributor on a top D, and was clearly hobbled from Day 1 in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

He's ripe to sign with Buffalo. It is the perfect fit. Young and upcoming with a very large playoff window.

And then there is the need for a player with JJ's skill set.

Lack of a pass rush killed us against KC.

But as others have asked, is there anything left in the tank?

Plenty left in his self promotional tank.  Football tank?  Probably not.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Here’s my only question... when we sign JJ and Harry has to give him #99, can Harry wear Kyles 95?

Harry may be a great guy and I had high hopes for him after the start he had in 2019, but he’s not getting 95. Not now, not ever. 95 should be retired