Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

I would push hard for Watt.  Offset the cost by cutting Addison and Jefferson.  Hes got 3 to 4 solid years left.  The kind of rotation Mcdermott utilizes will allow him to stay healthier and play longer. 32, 33, and 34 still near prime years.  He would be the king of Bills Mafia.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you cut Butler and Jefferson, I think you leave a hole even if you count on Lotulelei returning in good form and Harrison Phillips returning to early 2019 form

1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips

3T: Ed Oliver, ??

Zimmer saw spot duty, do you count on him?

I understand that guys are allowed to opt out again this year and I wouldn't bet the rent money Star doesn't do it

Watt would play 3T some too and I think they will draft at least 1 guy on the Dline in the first three rounds. I also think if Short sits out there into dust settle free agency he is an option on a cheap deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I would push hard for Watt.  Offset the cost by cutting Addison and Jefferson.  Hes got 3 to 4 solid years left.  The kind of rotation Mcdermott utilizes will allow him to stay healthier and play longer. 32, 33, and 34 still near prime years.  He would be the king of Bills Mafia.

I think you're a little optimistic on that front bud. 2 years maybe and that's in a rotational game plan on passing downs. Hard pass if he wants 17.5. To me he's a 12 mil per player tops. I'll let Beane figure out years and guaranteed money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you cut Butler and Jefferson, I think you leave a hole even if you count on Lotulelei returning in good form and Harrison Phillips returning to early 2019 form

1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips

3T: Ed Oliver, ??

Zimmer saw spot duty, do you count on him?

I understand that guys are allowed to opt out again this year and I wouldn't bet the rent money Star doesn't do it

Absolutely Zimmer should be DT4

4 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Not worth 17.5. The Bill's will NEVER, NEVER PAY THAT..

NEVER....

I'm finding very little about him demanding to be paid the same as he was in Houston. Just some rumors. Even if he is - what do you think his people are going to put out there? "Money's not important"? Just because that's what he sets his price tag at doesn't mean that's what he's gonna get. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm finding very little about him demanding to be paid the same as he was in Houston. Just some rumors. Even if he is - what do you think his people are going to put out there? "Money's not important"? Just because that's what he sets his price tag at doesn't mean that's what he's gonna get. 

I don't think any team will pay over 13m per season. We shall see

At this point of his career, is JJ really looking for money? Or he is looking for the best opportunity. JJ’s made his money. I think coming from the dumpster fire of an organization in Houston, JJ is looking for a well run organization with a opportunity to win the SB. 

The culture that Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane have built in Buffalo..along with the Billsmafia fan base has made the Bills a very attractive destination. 

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes but we are over the cap as of right now. So it isn't quite that simple.

There is no official cap right now. According to Spotrac, we are a little over 3m under and that does not take into account Lee Smith's likely retirement which would get it to near 6m (if spotrac's guess turns out to be correct). If that TV deal goes through we could be even more under. I'd bet they'll do everything to be higher than 175 as that puts almost half the league over the cap. 

9 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

There is no official cap right now. According to Spotrac, we are a little over 3m under and that does not take into account Lee Smith's likely retirement which would get it to near 6m (if spotrac's guess turns out to be correct). If that TV deal goes through we could be even more under. I'd bet they'll do everything to be higher than 175 as that puts almost half the league over the cap. 

I agree it will probably be more than the floor but it isn't until it is. The floor is the default.

The Buffalo News confirmed an ESPN report Wednesday that the Bills and Watt's representative have been communicating and there is mutual interest in the team signing the former Houston Texans star.

According to an NFL source, the Bills are one of a "half-dozen teams" that remain in contention for Watt. Those teams fit the criteria of what he's seeking from a new employer as a Super Bowl contender and a club with a top-level quarterback, the source said. 

The source said it is likely that "things could get rolling by the end of the week" toward Watt joining one of those teams. 

Watt, 31, also is seen as a "good fit" with the team-first culture that Beane and coach Sean McDermott have assembled, the source said, and is the kind of player Buffalo would easily embrace.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1