Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Until the teams know what the salary cap is going to be, I don’t think much gets done. What is taking so long? This is the first day that the franchise tag can be use too but crickets because wtf is the cap #. I mean it’s been estimated anywhere between 175 and 185, we can assume 180 but why the mystery 

Blame Thursday Night football. 

No seriously

What I read: NFL wants new TV deal finalized before finalizing NFL 2021 Salary Cap -> Networks want Thursday night football settled as part of any new TV deal -> Thursday night football still point of contention.

38 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

I need some good Keto recipes 

https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/ricotta-cake/

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Release Vernon Butler and Addison and you can sign Watt or any other pass rush help.

Release Butler and Addison and you free up $13M of cap, true

Then you've also perhaps got a hole at DL (and is Jefferson >> Butler?) and what about OLB, RT, RG, LG, and KR/PR?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then you've also perhaps got a hole at DL (and is Jefferson >> Butler?) and what about OLB, RT, RG, LG, and KR/PR?

No you don't. Star is back. 

There's moves to clear cap. Restructures and cuts. I think a couple moves that make sense to open up cap are extensions for Diggs and Beasley. Hughes also is an extension candidate that would clear cap. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like Addison the best of the bunch, but I'm going all in (or out rather) and cutting Butler, Addison, and Jefferson for a total savings of about $18M.

Could we backload contracts with guaranteed money to get around the reduced cap this year?

Like both Ngakoue and Watt end up with a hit of only $9M this year (fully guaranteed), but go up significantly with guaranteed money the rest of the years...

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we could get 2013, 2014 Mario back, we'd win the Super Bowl.

What incredibly freaky talent! If his passion for the game was near Josh’s level and he was in the right scheme, we might talk about him in the same breath with Bruce and Reggie White. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like Addison the best of the bunch, but I'm going all in (or out rather) and cutting Butler, Addison, and Jefferson for a total savings of about $18M.

Could we backload contracts with guaranteed money to get around the reduced cap this year?

Like both Ngakoue and Watt end up with a hit of only $9M this year (fully guaranteed), but go up significantly with guaranteed money the rest of the years...

If you cut Butler and Jefferson, I think you leave a hole even if you count on Lotulelei returning in good form and Harrison Phillips returning to early 2019 form

1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips

3T: Ed Oliver, ??

Zimmer saw spot duty, do you count on him?

I understand that guys are allowed to opt out again this year and I wouldn't bet the rent money Star doesn't do it

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you cut Butler and Jefferson, I think you leave a hole even if you count on Lotulelei returning in good form and Harrison Phillips returning to early 2019 form

I understand that guys are allowed to opt out again this year and I wouldn't bet the rent money Star doesn't do it

I would. You'd better believe the NFL is going to be able to vaccine all concerned players before September.  And at his age, two years out of football at that position and a team would be hard pressed relying on him for anything more than a rotational piece.

As for the holes it would create cutting Butler and Jefferson - Star WILL be back. Then you have Phillips, Zimmer, Practice Squad guys, draft, vet minimum guys before the season; lots of options. If we're talking a hole at 3rd or 4th DT in exchange for us getting JJ Watt - it's a no brainier.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, any late round pick should be able to replace those guys just fine and for a lot less money. They were nothing but bodies out there for the most part this year. Can't recall a single big play made by either one.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have wondered about the opt out thing with star.... my question is this: if guys opt out for a second straight year, shouldn’t teams be able to get some kind of relief? I know we wouldn’t have to pay him this year, but if he opts our under the same rules he’d show back up in 2022 for his year 33 season, having been out of football for two years. Kinda a tough row to hoe to be expected to pay him 7+ million.

i think it would be wise for the league to say that instead of opting out a second time and contracts deferring, that is a player is still uncomfortable playing, they need a settlement of the contract much like an injury settlement and then say only x% of it counts against the teams cap.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

3T: Ed Oliver, Watt