Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

Kevin Colbert (Steelers GM) had a presser today where he said he is concerned with planning to build the team without knowing what the cap situation will even look like. I have to think every GM feels the same. Wouldn't surprise me if Watt goes unsigned until the final cap number is nailed down.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I get that as a line of argument I don't think Beane and McDermott are a push the chips into the middle of the table and go all in for 1 year type of duo. They will take calculated risks but they want to be relevant for a long time. And put me in the school that thinks other than a QB it is rarely one guy that puts a team over the top.

But a 2 yr deal 12/per deal is not a "pushing the chips into the middle" situation.  It's a great short term fix of a problem.  Replacing Addison/Jefferson/Butler w Watt/K Short/draft pick is an overall cost reduction and performance upgrade.

This would show more Beane magic, showing the love early in a period of cap uncertainty.  IMO, the longer Watt goes unsigned the less likely the Bills get him - because all things being equal the Packers and Pitt have the advantage.  Beane made his big move early last year and the results were terrific - time to strike again (I smell Exec of the year repeat).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Kevin Colbert (Steelers GM) had a presser today where he said he is concerned with planning to build the team without knowing what the cap situation will even look like. I have to think every GM feels the same. Wouldn't surprise me if Watt goes unsigned until the final cap number is nailed down.

I was hoping this would be the case, if Pitt and GB are reluctant to put in a bid at this time the Bills chances shoot upward if an early decision is to be made.  And while Beane may feel trepidation with the cap situation, this is when a top Exec earns his money.

A Cleveland vs Bills competition clearly leans the Bills way (no matter what that Cleveland fan tries to claim).

1 minute ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

OK this is starting to get old pretty fast....

imo

Until the teams know what the salary cap is going to be, I don’t think much gets done. What is taking so long? This is the first day that the franchise tag can be use too but crickets because wtf is the cap #. I mean it’s been estimated anywhere between 175 and 185, we can assume 180 but why the mystery 

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Until the teams know what the salary cap is going to be, I don’t think much gets done. What is taking so long? This is the first day that the franchise tag can be use too but crickets because wtf is the cap #. I mean it’s been estimated anywhere between 175 and 185, we can assume 180 but why the mystery 

Isn’t their some rumours they are going to sign a new Tv deal in the coming weeks that may lift the cap higher than expected?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/02/10/nfl-wants-to-finalize-new-tv-deals-before-setting-2021-salary-cap-in-march.html

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

From what I've heard the NFL is waiting for the new TV deals to be finalized before giving a final number. Who knows when that will be done. Surely by March teams will know.

Edited by HappyDays

32 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Isn’t their some rumours they are going to sign a new Tv deal in the coming weeks that may lift the cap higher than expected?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/02/10/nfl-wants-to-finalize-new-tv-deals-before-setting-2021-salary-cap-in-march.html

Yes. Need to move quickly 

• Like (+1) 1