Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The fact is....we dont need him.

It would be nice to have him.  Frankly he should be wanting US as we were one game away from the Super Bowl last year with a realistic shot to get back.

Our product sells itself...this is not the old bills

The fact is....we need a pass rush

This isn’t about selling the product. This is about getting pressure on Patrick Mahomes in the AFC Championship game next year. No we don’t necessarily need JJ Watt, but we do need to address that particular position. 

Edit: I just realized that you meant selling us to JJ. Yes I do agree that we should look like a prime destination for him. We check all the boxes 

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Agree 1

So his goal is to win a Super Bowl. You would think at first he looks at the Four teams who made the Conference Championship.

What’s their interest? Am I the missing piece that maybe just gets them to that next level? 

Good culture, fan base well knockout Kc.  

So the other three teams check the box. Tampa has already shown they can win a SuperBowl without me. Out.

GB , Buffalo, awesome fan base culture, ohh so close.  Can they pay me with the cap being what it is or want to Pay me what I think I’m worth No 

Oh well all that other crap doesn’t even really matter.

Cleveland it is! 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

If JJ is now set on Cleveland, he clearly had changed his requirements:

(1) The team must be not-so-loveable losers, a powder keg ready to explode at any minute, as this fuels the beast

(2) The team needs to be dressed ugly like barking canines, as I need my beautiful muscles and vicious tough guy persona to stand out 

(3) The team needs to be seen as a 2nd or 3rd tier team at best, as I dream of being the herculean star that could bring all the glory.

(4) The team needs to be OK with mediocrity, as if my body falls apart again, I can escape the city untouched

1 minute ago, BillsDude said:

If JJ is now set on Cleveland, he clearly had changed his requirements:

(1) The team must be not-so-loveable losers, a powder keg ready to explode at any minute, as this fuels the beast

(2) The team needs to be dressed ugly like barking canines, as I need my beautiful muscles and vicious tough guy persona to stand out 

(3) The team needs to be seen as a 2nd or 3rd tier team at best, as I dream of being the herculean star that could bring all the glory.

(4) The team needs to be OK with mediocrity, as if my body falls apart again, I can escape the city untouched

Has someone said he's set on Cleveland? 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Has someone said he's set on Cleveland? 

The implication from all the reports is he is seriously considering Cleveland. Whether that is fake news, wishful thinking on part of that team or media there, or other, who knows. Why would he not dispute those reports though, or at least say he is considering several teams. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

The implication from all the reports is he is seriously considering Cleveland. Whether that is fake news, wishful thinking on part of that team or media there, or other, who knows. Why would he not dispute those reports though, or at least say he is considering several teams. 

Why WOULD he dispute those rumors? The more he says, the more he drives down his price. Plus, why does he need to come out publicly and say anything? 

10 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Why WOULD he dispute those rumors? The more he says, the more he drives down his price. Plus, why does he need to come out publicly and say anything? 

Well, he already drove down his price then, as he ruled out the vast majority of teams with his 4 media listed requirements. And he pissed off the other interested teams when he did not shoot down the Browns story. I mean, JJ Watt is good, but his injury history and some decline is not about to cause those other interested teams to resort to game playing and bidding wars. Bu keeping his mouth shut about the Browns story (did not help), and if he instead said his mind was not made up, he would get more interest, in my opinion..

Edited by BillsDude

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/02/nfl-free-agency-rumors-what-will-jj-watts-contract-look-like-with-new-team.html

Speculation is his contract will be $12M/yr, 2 years:

The final number per season on Watt is expected to be around $12 million, according to Spotrac.com’s Mike Ginnetti, who threw out that number on the latest episode of his podcast.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King wrote in his Monday Football Morning In America column that Watt will likely get a two-year deal, depending on the team’s financial situation.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

Well, he already drove down his price then, as he ruled out the vast majority of teams with his 4 media listed requirements. And he pissed off the other interested teams when he did not shoot down the Browns story. I mean, JJ Watt is good, but his injury history and some decline is not about to cause those other interested teams to resort to game playing and bidding wars. Bu keeping his mouth shut about the Browns story (did not help), and if he instead said his mind was not made up, he would get more interest, in my opinion..

You’re thinking about this as a fan, not a team or player. They all know how this game works-players or teams never shoot down these types of rumors because it does them no benefit. Every team in the league already knows he is only looking at a handful of teams. By not shooting down the Cleveland rumor, that could potentially keep teams like Seattle in the mix, or at least give that illusion. Teams don’t get butt hurt because a player doesn’t deny rumors. My guess is you are hoping he shoots down the rumor because then it still keeps the Bills in the running to get him. I want to see him sign in Buffalo as well but from a business standpoint it doesn’t make sense for him to publicly eliminate a potential team. Honestly think about it, do free agents ever deny rumors about where they may potentially sign?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BillsDude said:

This seems to assign an internal team importance to media reports.

The Browns story does not say Watt's mind is made up.  It just says he is "seriously considering" the Browns.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hard to structure that in a way that keeps the 2021 hit low and gives you any sort of out. You pretty much have to do $12m and $12m if he is insisting on two years. 

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder about the timing of this playing out. Does he sign really fast, or does he let it sit for a while like Clowney? 
I think he is better off signing quickly. 

That may be why one of his criteria is cap space. 

Teams like the Bills really can't commit themselves until the NFL gives a reasonably firm decision on the cap.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That is exactly his worth.   I would hope the Bills dont consider anything over that.  

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hard to structure that in a way that keeps the 2021 hit low and gives you any sort of out. You pretty much have to do $12m and $12m if he is insisting on two years. 

I think it's hard to structure any duration contract for a vet player in a way that keeps the 2021 hit low and give the team an out.  They know it's all about the guarantees.

The 2021 "low" isn't too hard.  Say you give him $10M signing bonus, $2M salary this season which gives him $12M in upfront/salary this year for a $7M cap hit

Then you make the next year $12M split between salary or other bonus, which gives him another $12M for a $17M cap hit. 

But in that case he's gonna want all more most of that 2nd year salary guaranteed, period so no out.

18 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I want to see him sign in Buffalo as well but from a business standpoint it doesn’t make sense for him to publicly eliminate a potential team. Honestly think about it, do free agents ever deny rumors about where they may potentially sign?

Ha!  The only one I can think of is Antonio Brown with the Bills and that was certainly a "special" situation.

1 hour ago, BillsDude said:

That report didn't give any indication he wanted to go there or even if the Browns want him.

Anyways why wouldn't he seriously consider them? He's considering a lot of teams. 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's hard to structure any duration contract for a vet player in a way that keeps the 2021 hit low and give the team an out.  They know it's all about the guarantees.

The 2021 "low" isn't too hard.  Say you give him $10M signing bonus, $2M salary this season which gives him $12M in upfront/salary this year for a $7M cap hit

Then you make the next year $12M split between salary or other bonus, which gives him another $12M for a $17M cap hit. 

But in that case he's gonna want all more most of that 2nd year salary guaranteed, period so no out.

Exactly. That is why I favour a 3rd year on the contract that allows you a bit of extra flex. $24m for 2 years feels to me to be a little high.