Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

He’d be the 15th best player on the Bills and tacitly demand being the top name on the marquee.  Our locker room is solid but that kind of crap will erode anything.

15th best player?!? Well that’s a strong opinion and not a very good one, in my opinion 

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

He’d be the 15th best player on the Bills and tacitly demand being the top name on the marquee.  Our locker room is solid but that kind of crap will erode anything.

What has he shown in his career that has destroyed locker rooms? 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoaoa, Confident!  Any basis for this?

Beane did say don't expect a "splash" in trades/FA this year

No, not confident.  Bills have a shot, I'm sure, but there are other attractive spots.   It just seemed like a good response.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Who are the 14 better?

So we’re clear, I’m talking about in 2021, not overall careers, and talking pro-rated per position.

7 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What has he shown in his career that has destroyed locker rooms? 

Houston’s locker room is amazing.

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

No, not confident.  Bills have a shot, I'm sure, but there are other attractive spots.   It just seemed like a good response.

I think Buffalo has become a very attractive destination for upper echelon players late in their careers looking to win a championship. Allen is an absolute players magnet in my humble opinion.

Edited by Figster
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

So we’re clear, I’m talking about in 2021, not overall careers, and talking pro-rated per position.

Houston’s locker room is amazing.

So you’re pinning that current situation on Watt?? Yikes, that’s a big time reach

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get that Watt would be a splash as far as media attention goes, but for what the contract would likely look like, I don’t know that Beane would consider that a splash.

Lol at people pretending Watt is a negative locker room influence. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

*Beane reading headlines that JJ is released*: "oh shoot, that's right, I said in a presser to not expect a big FA signing. Guess I can't sign him"

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don't really see how they improve without a "splash" like signing. Specifically on the front four. 

I mean, I guess we’re into the weeds of what a “splash” is. 

the media and fans define splash as adding big names or being a part of a blockbuster. Diggs was both. 

I would imagine (based on my perception of what he said) that Beane cares not about that definition, but that he defines a splash as leveraging a large portion of our resources for one player- like we did for Diggs. 

So while a Watt signing for say 10m a year, would be a splash by the media and fan definition, in reality I think he’d just consider it good business. Same with trading a 5th or something for Ertz. News making moves, but not “splashes” in sense of leveraging capital. 

The breakdown for us, I think, is that we’re so used to our FO giving us ***** about “no splashy moves, building through the draft, developing our talent” and etc and it meaning they’re willing to sit back and scratch their ass’ while the rest of the league works to improve and then they’ll hold up a retread signee for 5 million dollars as a difference maker for us and say “we’re excited about the draft and that’s where our focus is!”

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

SJ13 is a good example of the "concept" you are talking about........he wouldn't have been option #1 on many teams........ but he was also in steep decline by the time the Bills got rid of him so I wouldn't use his production after Buffalo as an example.     

Logan Thomas is not the #1 option for the WFT like SJ13 was for the Bills, though.

That guy is Terry McLaurin.......a stud WR.

Thomas was given a chance to convert to TE because he was the top TE recruit in the nation in HS (and later considered the possible NFL #1 overall pick at QB in college).    He's a really exceptional athlete for the position.      

I don't expect him to become a true superstar TE like Kelce/Gronk while pushing 30 now............but while you may think that he just got over-targeted, and therefore overrated,  the same argument was made about Kelce early in his career with KC.

He averaged over 100 targets per season from 2014-2016 when the Chiefs had no outside passing game(literally 0 WR TD's in 2014).   His game didn't decline switching from a pro bowl level QB in Alex Smith to a great one in Mahomes with great WR targets.........his production actually increased by about 30%.   

Yup. That's why I said Stevie in his prime was a good #2 option on a contending team.

I never said Logan Thomas was the #1 option for the WFT and I am well aware of Terry McLaurin. My point is Logan Thomas would not get close to the volume in Buffalo that he did in Washington. There just weren't 110 targets available for the guy here. I'm not saying he is overrated, but I am leary of a player on a not very good team, commanding 110 targets, with Y/Tgt and Y/R stats that look more like RB numbers than they do even mid-tier TE numbers being anything more than a volume player. 

Travis Kelce's Y/Tgt and Y/R numbers look almost identical with Mahomes as they did with Smith. He averaged 9.1 Y/Tgt and 12.7 Y/R with Smith and with Mahomes he has averaged 9.2 Y/Tgt and 13 Y/R. Virtually identical... under Mahomes and Smith for Kelce. Kelce's efficiency never changed... he's always been a very efficient player. Mahomes has just targeted him even more which has increased his total production but his efficiency has not changed. For comparison Thomas was sitting at 6.1 Y/Tgt and 9.3 Y/R, it's not amazing, he was a nice check down option and racked up yards and catches because of it... but those are numbers you see from a RB. 

Logan Thomas' breakout season is comparable to Scott Chandler's worst season in Buffalo... 7.1 Y/Tgt and 10.6 Y/R. He's just benefitting from being the main option on an offense lacking other weapons outside of McLaurin. 

Would he be nice to have here? Absolutely.

Is he a difference maker in the offense? Probably not.

He wouldn't command the volume to put up ~700 with 6 TDs. It would be impossible. Cut his targets to say 70 in Buffalo (which is probably generous) and he puts up numbers closer to Dawson Knox and everyone is likely complaining that he's not a difference maker. 

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, I guess we’re into the weeds of what a “splash” is. 

the media and fans define splash as adding big names or being a part of a blockbuster. Diggs was both. 

I would imagine (based on my perception of what he said) that Beane cares not about that definition, but that he defines a splash as leveraging a large portion of our resources for one player- like we did for Diggs. 

So while a Watt signing for say 10m a year, would be a splash by the media and fan definition, in reality I think he’d just consider it good business. Same with trading a 5th or something for Ertz. News making moves, but not “splashes” in sense of leveraging capital. 

The breakdown for us, I think, is that we’re so used to our FO giving us ***** about “no splashy moves, building through the draft, developing our talent” and etc and it meaning they’re willing to sit back and scratch their ass’ while the rest of the league works to improve and then they’ll hold up a retread signee for 5 million dollars as a difference maker for us and say “we’re excited about the draft and that’s where our focus is!”

I think what Beane meant by big splash was a big contract. For example Shaquil Barrett. Watt would likely be a 1-2 year deal worth around half per year .

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That was taken out of context. What he said was don't expect a big move like the Diggs trade. That doesn't mean he's going to sit on his hands this offseason. He knows the pass rush was underwhelming last year. If we don't sign Watt I'm sure we will still sign an above average edge rusher. There are a ton available in free agency this year and Beane knows our window is now.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes. I guess what I meant to say was I don’t see how they improve without signing a very good player/pass rusher or two to the defensive line.... and yes, I know Star is coming back.😂

If we’re actually aiming for a Watt, I’d love to sign him - release Addison (or keep him, if we don’t need the money), and draft a big guy like Tyler Shelvin. Then maybe a developmental guy later. 

Watt played on a very bad defense and got a lot of attention, but still performed.

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1