Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

It’s weird...

I am generally in the “we’ve already tried giving big contracts to old guys at EDGE, what we need is youth and juice and to find, draft, and grow our OWN stars there” camp, and yet...

I find myself hoping that Watt sings with the Bills. He seems like a perfect culture fit, an instant jolt of leadership, and a mentor for Epenesa and hopefully another youngster yet to be drafted. 

Seeing JPP play a crucial role in TB’s Super Bowl run has me caring a little less about the age factor. Besides, it seems unlikely that the Bills can find a blue chip EDGE picking at 30.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

It’s weird...

I am generally in the “we’ve already tried giving big contracts to old guys at EDGE, what we need is youth and juice and to find, draft, and grow our OWN stars there” camp, and yet...

I find myself hoping that Watt sings with the Bills. He seems like a perfect culture fit, an instant jolt of leadership, and a mentor for Epenesa and hopefully another youngster yet to be drafted. 

Seeing JPP play a crucial role in TB’s Super Bowl run has me caring a little less about the age factor. Besides, it seems unlikely that the Bills can find a blue chip EDGE picking at 30.

We already have enough singers

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That wasn't a bad decision IMO. Not like they dumped him straight away. He was on the roster the first two years here and got on the field ocassionally and was bang average. He then went to Detroit and didn't stick too. You don't just keep dedicating a roster spot to a QB to TE conversion project for four years hoping the light finally comes on when he is 29 year old. I am pleased for Logan but I attach no wrong doing to the Bills in that scenario. 

Of course the team switch might have delayed his emergence but even so Thomas was better with Detroit than Tyler Kroft was with Buffalo.   Obviously the Bills offense in 2017/2018 was an abortion so not a great place to develop young talent but he looked notably better in Detroit in limited opportunity in 2019.   But he wasn't likely to get the time that a Murphy got because he was inherited from Rex/Whaley.   TE is a tough position to evaluate and project.......but it's a tough game for tough people right?  Bottom line results........team would pay thru the nose for him now.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Of course the team switch might have delayed his emergence but even so Thomas was better with Detroit than Tyler Kroft was with Buffalo.   Obviously the Bills offense in 2017/2018 was an abortion so not a great place to develop young talent but he looked notably better in Detroit in limited opportunity in 2019.   But he wasn't likely to get the time that a Murphy got because he was inherited from Rex/Whaley.   TE is a tough position to evaluate and project.......but it's a tough game for tough people right?  Bottom line results........team would pay thru the nose for him now.

They would be chasing fool's gold.

He has a paltry 6.1 yards per target, which ranks 127th in the NFL, tied with Eric Ebron, who is making $3M AAV.

His catch percentage is 125th in the NFL. 

Kelce, Waller, Gesicki and Andrews had 9.8, 8.2, 8.3, and 8.0 YPT.

LT had a nice season, but he's a product of receiving a boat load of targets, with QB's that struggle to attack outside defenses (Smith/Allen).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

It’s weird...

I agree with this, but you should dive into some of the DEs that are pegged to be drafted around 30.  I think you’ll 

be surprised.  I think this class of pass rushers, while lacking the elite talent, has several guys that can be effective getting pressure on the QB

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Overreaction Saturday a thing?

he’s a decent TE.  In hindsight, we should have kept him.  Were you upset when we cut him?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yes, we've never seen pass-rushers fall off a cliff!

Some people have the hardest time.

He's talking about Denver.

What he has in the tank is a completely different conversation than those that argue that he wouldn’t be a scheme fit going from a B gap player to a C gap player when he’s a phenomenal rusher from the B. Moving further out will likely only increase his efficacy, like Calais Campbell.

Which is the real context of the tweet and my response that went right over your head.

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He didn't show enough to be worth hanging onto. Right decision at the time to let go. This is a classic case of a decision that ONLY looks bad in hindsight. It wasn't even arguable at the time IMO.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

What he has in the tank is a completely different conversation than those that argue that he wouldn’t be a scheme fit going from a B gap player to a C gap player when he’s a phenomenal rusher from the B. Moving further out will likely only increase his efficacy, like Calais Campbell.

Which is the real context of the tweet and my response that went right over your head.

Yeah bro. "Calais Campbell did it!" is not an argument because every player is different.  Hence my response, which went right over YOUR head.

52 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It was like when LorAx was in the top of sacks with the lowest pressure/sack ratio in the NFL.  Completely unsustainable.

But I liked the Addison signing so ***** me .

me too. Very complimentary player i still think.

Rough season overall for  front seven in my opinion

JJWatt goes to Pittsburgh to play with his Brothers and we get Bud Dupree

everyone wins

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He didn't show enough to be worth hanging onto. Right decision at the time to let go. This is a classic case of a decision that ONLY looks bad in hindsight. It wasn't even arguable at the time IMO.

And you were adamant that Josh Allen wasn't worth selecting and that it was the wrong decision at the time to select him.  

A classic case of something that only looks good to you(and many others with similarly self-assured opinions) in hindsight.

Not comparing Allen to Thomas directly but it's just one of those deals, like Teller and a pile of bad free agent signings, that did not work out and are part of Beane's resume regardless of opinions of those moves at the time.

Ultimately, if you get credited for things that work out........you also get credited for those that don't work out.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah bro. "Calais Campbell did it!" is not an argument because every player is different.  Hence my response, which went right over YOUR head.

Nothing went over my head. Your response was entirely based on his overall performance and didn’t even engage with the conversation regarding position change. You aren’t talking at all about what I was posting about, but you’re trying to fit it into your idea that Watt is washed, which in of itself is a stupid argument. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I liked the Jefferson signing the most and I feel he can still be a nice rotational player, but his salary suggests he should be more

Draft pick and salary always affect opinion for nearly everyone.
I too was hoping for more from Addison and Butler. But i was hoping to see more from Oliver and Espinosa (sp)

as well.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They would be chasing fool's gold.

He has a paltry 6.1 yards per target, which ranks 127th in the NFL, tied with Eric Ebron, who is making $3M AAV.

His catch percentage is 125th in the NFL. 

Kelce, Waller, Gesicki and Andrews had 9.8, 8.2, 8.3, and 8.0 YPT.

LT had a nice season, but he's a product of receiving a boat load of targets, with QB's that struggle to attack outside defenses (Smith/Allen).

You and @GunnerBill and @NewEra can claim he's just a scrub on a bad team.........but you guys are wrong.........he's become a very good receiving TE.   Watch the games guys.  

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And you were adamant that Josh Allen wasn't worth selecting and that it was the wrong decision at the time to select him.  

A classic case of something that only looks good to you(and many others with similarly self-assured opinions) in hindsight.

Not comparing Allen to Thomas directly but it's just one of those deals, like Teller and a pile of bad free agent signings, that did not work out and are part of Beane's resume regardless of opinions of those moves at the time.

Ultimately, if you get credited for things that work out........you also get credited for those that don't work out.

I wouldn't have picked Allen, true. But the two situations are totally incomparable. And I wasn't disputing any of the other examples you cited. Just Logan Thomas. You don't hold onto guys who show nothing for 4 years.... just in case.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You and @GunnerBill and @NewEra can claim he's just a scrub on a bad team.........but you guys are wrong.........he's become a very good receiving TE.   Watch the games guys.  

Whoa that is NOT what I claimed. 

38 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

everyone wins

Pittsburgh is like 35m over the cap so they might not be a threat. I’d be more worried about greenbay. They’re just as much a SB contender as us and Watt is from Wisconsin. I’m not sure about they’re cap situation, probably similar to us

Edited by Turbo44

40 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

everyone wins

So you want the Bills to sign a guy for more money than what Watt will get paid and is coming off of an ACL tear and that’s somehow a win for Buffalo?

8 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Pittsburgh is like 35m over the cap so they might not be a threat. I’d be more worried about greenbay. They’re just as much a SB contender as us and Watt is from Wisconsin. I’m not sure about they’re cap situation, probably similar to us

GB is $30M + over the cap according to OTC.  Not likely they are spending big this off season.