Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

We don’t have to get younger.  We are going to be signing 2-4 players every year that are one year rentals.  It doesn’t matter which position and how old those players are.  They just have to be able to help us win a super bowl.  When the window is open and ours may never be more open that right now, the only thing a team has to do is bet better, hopefully enough to win the super bowl.  We can get younger pass rushers next year, or in 2-3 years.  As long as we sign pass rushers that can get the job done. 

I think the danger of having 3 primary pass rushers aged 32 or older is that they all regresse in the same season and you are left with no pass rush.

Just now, FireChans said:

I'm assuming Eddy and Tremaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaine who is still a toddler.

I mean everybody is entitled to their opinion but

- The only DL there is Ed Oliver

- Edmunds hasnt played like a pro bowler....he has however wond defensive player of the week more then a few times

I also want to add to the DL....but lets not hyperbole people

14 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Per espn advanced stats offered other thread by @DCOrange, he was 8th in Edge win rate this year (JH was 2nd). So there's that, agree or not re metric.

As aside, I am not a huge JJ fan at this point in career.

[Sorry if this stat noted already; normally don't comment until I read all pages, but doing cross-thread reading today to catch up]

Yes his pass rush win rate was very high according to ESPN, I'd like him as a rotational player. He certainly could make a difference where we need it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean everybody is entitled to their opinion but

- The only DL there is Ed Oliver

- Edmunds hasnt played like a pro bowler....he has however wond defensive player of the week more then a few times

I also want to add to the DL....but lets not hyperbole people

What does this mean?

Both have been underwhelming.  It is what it is.

40 minutes ago, par73 said:

Bills did a poor job of replacing players lost on the DL last year. It doesn't help that two 1st round picks on the front seven have been under-performers.

I had higher hopes for Addison.  He wasn't really a factor all year (even though I think he was our leading sacker w/ 5)....

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

"It doesn't help that two 1st round picks on the front seven"

They both play in the front 7 my dude.

Yeah I guess I read that sentence wrong.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah I guess I read that sentence wrong.

Well Chan its good to know that banning has changed you at all

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

I don't know.  None of us do.  That's part of the puzzle and process that management has got to work. Watt's also got to be thinking about what he wants and what is important to him and his family at this stage in his career.

I realize that you don’t know what he’ll cost.... what do you THINK he costs?

I’m thinking it’ll be around 13-15M aav

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I realize that you don’t know what he’ll cost.... what do you THINK he costs?

I’m thinking it’ll be around 13-15M aav

I think 15 is what he'd like  Not sure about term.  Not sure about guarantee or signing bonus.  I think the latter terms are where the issues will be, whether or not something can be contracted/settled.

Edited by Pokebball
corrected
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Success said:

I had higher hopes for Addison.  He wasn't really a factor all year (even though I think he was our leading sacker w/ 5)....

I was against that from the start. His pressures and hits were down in 2019, he turned an unsustainable number of his pressures into sacks. He actually continued that this year in a sense... it is just that the pressures reduced again. When Addison gets a chance he converts usually. It is just he doesn't win at a very high rate. Kinda the direct opposite of Jerry.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I was against that from the start. His pressures and hits were down in 2019, he turned an unsustainable number of his pressures into sacks. He actually continued that this year in a sense... it is just that the pressures reduced again. When Addison gets a chance he converts usually. It is just he doesn't win at a very high rate. Kinda the direct opposite of Jerry.

It was like when LorAx was in the top of sacks with the lowest pressure/sack ratio in the NFL.  Completely unsustainable.

But I liked the Addison signing so ***** me .

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm really hoping McDermott and Beane just cut their losses with Addison, Jefferson, and Butler. They can find capable replacement with $20 million in savings. I really don't think either player makes a difference for the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm really hoping McDermott and Beane just cut their losses with Addison, Jefferson, and Butler. They can find capable replacement with $20 million in savings. I really don't think either player makes a difference for the roster. 

Agreed.  I liked the Jefferson signing the most and I feel he can still be a nice rotational player, but his salary suggests he should be more