Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Wait he got released AND bought a house in Cleveland int he same day?? Man, that dude was busy yesterday! Or did he already own a house in Cleveland because what superstar athlete wouldn’t want to own a house in Cleveland??

he obviously was released and immediately purchased a house sight unseen in Cleveland, before even speaking to the browns. 

1 hour ago, Ya Digg? said:

Wait he got released AND bought a house in Cleveland int he same day?? Man, that dude was busy yesterday! Or did he already own a house in Cleveland because what superstar athlete wouldn’t want to own a house in Cleveland??

I hear “the Flats” area in Cleveland is lovely this time of year! 🤔

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It was a terrible mistake. Probably his worst error as GM so far. Keeping Murphy as depth was a terrible decision. 

Not even close to his worst error..........because of the way they cleaned house of key young talent and traded up so much in drafts Beane had to invest a lot in free agency and trades to make up for the personnel they lopped off.      There were tons of bad decisions.   Trading for Corey Coleman and then cutting him 10 days later and eating $3.5M cap hit was worse than keeping Murphy as insurance and most don't even remember it.   

• Like (+1) 1

If it's the JJ Watt from his first 5 seasons(75.5 sacks), I'm all for it. But his last 5 seasons he's netted 1.5, 0, 16, 4 & 5 sack seasons while missing the equivalent of 2 full seasons.

His leadership and work in the community I'm sure would be stellar, but I'm betting he goes to Pitt to play with his brothers or someone over plays for him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not even close to his worst error..........because of the way they cleaned house of key young talent and traded up so much in drafts Beane had to invest a lot in free agency and trades to make up for the personnel they lopped off.      There were tons of bad decisions.   Trading for Corey Coleman and then cutting him 10 days later and eating $3.5M cap hit was worse than keeping Murphy as insurance and most don't even remember it.   

Last I checked $7 million is more than $3.5 million. They were also at very different stages of the rebuild. Murphy was not a key member of the roster. It is by far Beane's worst decision.

Edit. It was actually over $8m the Bills would have saved.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Last I checked $7 million is more than $3.5 million. They were also at very different stages of the rebuild. Murphy was not a key member of the roster. It is by far Beane's worst decision.

Passing on Metcalf and AJ Brown to draft Cody Ford?  Trading Wyatt Teller?   Giving Star Lotulelei a $50M contract and then guaranteeing his salary last offseason to try to get back a little over $1M of his salary(which allowed him to take the year off with no financial loss and makes him an $11M immovable object on the payroll).   The Eric Wood extension?   Dumping Logan Thomas and then watching him become a top receiving TE(3rd in receptions 7th in yards)?  

There have been PLENTY.

Fortunately you have to be constantly making bad decisions to not at least be competitive in the NFL.

I like Beane and the growth mindset the organization has gives me hope that they will continue to improve in evaluating players but the list of bad decisions is not so small that a $7M cap hit for a part time player is the worst.

• Like (+1) 1

I slept on it. I really want this to happen.

Star coming back, an early round draft pick, Watt, along w/ Oliver in his 3rd year - things could look a lot different for the Bills at the front of the defense with just a few moves.  

He's turning 32 in March.  That's still 2-3 really good years, imo.  I never really buy into "injury prone," either - it seems like bad luck a lot of the time (though there are exceptions).

Would love to see the headline that we got him.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I see your Murphy and Coleman and raise you a Benjamin. Trading a 3rd+7th for a worthless WR that we later released and ate 8.5mm dead cap on is pretty darn bad. 

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Passing on Metcalf and AJ Brown to draft Cody Ford?  Trading Wyatt Teller?   Giving Star Lotulelei a $50M contract and then guaranteeing his salary last offseason to try to get back a little over $1M of his salary(which allowed him to take the year off with no financial loss and makes him an $11M immovable object on the payroll).   The Eric Wood extension?   Dumping Logan Thomas and then watching him become a top receiving TE(3rd in receptions 7th in yards)?  

There have been PLENTY.

Fortunately you have to be constantly making bad decisions to not at least be competitive in the NFL.

I like Beane and the growth mindset the organization has gives me hope that they will continue to improve in evaluating players but the list of bad decisions is not so small that a $7M cap hit for a part time player is the worst.

You're listing some things Beane had no idea would happen. Pointless arguments. Different stages of Bills cap space. Multiple variables playing a role in the decision. 

Trent Murphy was replaced in free agency and the draft. They had no need for him. There were many other uses for that money. They knew what he was. 

I could make a similar argument for keeping Lee Smith, but won't. The nearly $9 million cap hit to keep Murphy far outweighs keeping Lee Smith. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

21 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How do their bad decisions stack up with the decisions across the NFL? 

Do other organizations make mistakes like this? Seattle passed on Metcalf twice to take LJ Collier and Marquise Blair. 

The Eric Wood extension, he was supposed to see the future and know he was going to have a career ending injury? 2/16 where they got 1 year out of it before they found out about the severe neck injury isn’t a gross error.

Cool. Logan Thomas had a lot of receptions and yards based on sheer volume on a 7-9 team sorely lacking receiving options in an offense with QBs who made Trent Edwards look like Elway when it came to pushing the ball down field. It’s like saying Scott Chandler or David Nelson were great because they were top options on bad teams. 

Not absolving them of their mistakes... but those are some interesting choices as well. I’ll sandwich my post with my initial question... how do their bad decisions stack up against the bad decisions of other teams?

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, twist_to_open said:

Watts very active in his community and with his charities. I would not be surprised to see Bills Mafia rally donations to one of his causes to put a little pressure on signing with the best fanbase in the NFL.

He had a Twitter post indicating his foundation had been receiving $99 donations from multiple fanbases.  We can assume based on history that many were from Buffalo.  He thanked people for the donations and tooted his own horn about helping people.  He then called the donations bribes implying Bills fans and others are criminals.  This guy is too much.  Hey JJ, accepting bribes is also criminal in case you didn’t know.  Oh, but you’re perfect, I forgot.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You're listing some things Beane had no idea would happen. Pointless arguments. Different stages of Bills cap space. Multiple variables playing a role in the decision. 

Trent Murphy was replaced in free agency and the draft. They had no need for him. There were many other uses for that money. They knew what he was. 

I could make a similar argument for keeping Lee Smith, but won't. The nearly $9 million cap hit to keep Murphy far outweighs keeping Lee Smith. 

We are in agreement that Beane has been very inefficient with cap space.........that's why they are up against it with a QB still on his rookie deal.

But you are discounting that they still thought that Murphy was perhaps going to return to his peak pass rusher level.    That's why they signed him and he had a huge game with 3 sacks in the playoffs against Houston 9 months earlier so they might have thought he was finally getting back to being productive.   

Murphy  as that near double-digit sacks guy that they paid him to be was NOT replaced.    That's why we are having this Watt discussion. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Wait...isn’t Cleveland the halfway point between Pittsburgh and Buffalo?