Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

Some of the comments in this thread are crazy. "Watt isn't the same player he was." Yeah, he's not a 1st ballot hall of famer in his prime anymore. He is still a very good player who commands attention from the offense and he upgrades a position of weakness. Where else are we finding that? The draft?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Some of the comments in this thread are crazy. "Watt isn't the same player he was." Yeah, he's not a 1st ballot hall of famer in his prime anymore. He is still a very good player who commands attention from the offense and he upgrades a position of weakness. Where else are we finding that? The draft?

What position do you see him upgrading in a 4-3?

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He commands attention from the entire world.

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Which one is that? He plays 3-4 DE 

in recent years this has been the case, but his prime years were as DE in 4-3, besides, he can play DT in obvious passing Downs

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GymShorts84 said:

Agreed. He’s a process guy to a T. Big time players make big time plays in big time games. He still does that. He can be productive for 2-3 years and be a difference maker on the d-line, something we’ve been lacking. 

I guess this could be somewhat similar to the late 80s Bills bringing in Art Still?

27 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Please, please, please. I know he’s struggled with injuries and his production dipped but one guy I’d never rule out is JJ Watt. He is a freak of nature, he’s not terribly old, I think we can squeeze one more good year out of him. I covet him the most of any FA.

I agree, but I think you could get a few years if he stays healthy. Even if he's only on the feild on 3rd down to rush the qb he's a force you have to account for no matter his age

• Like (+1) 2

Cut Vernon Butler ($6.8M saved)

Cut Quinton Jefferson ($6.5M saved)

Cut Lee Smith (2.25M saved)

Cut John Brown ($8M saved)

Pay Cut Mario Addison (save $2M)

Pay Cut Matakevich (save $1.25M)

Extend Diggs 2 yrs. (save $7M in '21)

Convert Morse salary to bonus (save $3M)

Total savings of nearly $30M

With that savings:

1. Franchise Milano for $15M and look to trade him for a 3rd and 5th. I'd love to keep him, I'd hate to lose him for nothing, I think given the reduction in cap this might be the smartest compromise.

2. Re-sign Feliciano ($3M cap hit)

3. Re-sign D Williams ($7M cap hit)

4. Sign J.J Watt ($9.5M cap hit)

5. Sign Curtis Samuel ($6.5M cap hit)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Sorry skipped a bunch of pages 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30886997/houston-texans-part-ways-jj-watt-asks-release

League sources told ESPN's Ed Werder that approximately a dozen teams initially had shown interest in Watt since his release, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans. Sources said Watt's priority in determining his next team will be his belief that he can play in a Super Bowl with that team based on its supporting cast; he has never reached a conference championship game.