Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

56 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

How in the ***** has this thread gone 83 pages for a beat up DE??

“beat up”......sigh. 

Watt has played in all 16 regular season games in 2 of the last 3 seasons.  Last season, he played in every game.  

How does would that classify him as “beat up”?

• Like (+1) 1

I have to admit I'm getting lukewarm about Watt.  I used to be excited about him coming to Buffalo, but if Buffalo isn't his clear choice, and it seems it isn't, then I'm less interested.  

Beane is, so far as I can tell, very clear about how much he's willing to play.  Beane doesn't spend a lot of time negotiating the money.  If Buffalo were Watt's #1 choice, then he would either have taken Beane's best offer or crossed Buffalo off the list.  

So, I think Watt is trying to figure what's the team he likes best.  If Buffalo isn't his clear choice by now, if he's having that much trouble trying to figure out he wants to go to the prom with us, then I'm just not all that excited.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have to admit I'm getting lukewarm about Watt.  I used to be excited about him coming to Buffalo, but if Buffalo isn't his clear choice, and it seems it isn't, then I'm less interested.  

Beane is, so far as I can tell, very clear about how much he's willing to play.  Beane doesn't spend a lot of time negotiating the money.  If Buffalo were Watt's #1 choice, then he would either have taken Beane's best offer or crossed Buffalo off the list.  

So, I think Watt is trying to figure what's the team he likes best.  If Buffalo isn't his clear choice by now, if he's having that much trouble trying to figure out he wants to go to the prom with us, then I'm just not all that excited.  

This is where I am. Obviously i’d like him on the team but if it’s true that he’s getting 15-16 million dollar offers I’m not as excited about it. 

I really feel like we can get two real contributors for that money and the concern about Watt producing at a high level is very real. 

Unless they truly believe the leadership/motivation intangibles are what this team really needs. Idk, I have my reservations but I guess I do trust Beane to do the right thing.

Im not overly concerned that he hasn’t chosen us by now. There’s a lot to consider and Green Bay isn’t chopped liver. Also, I don’t know how exciting our D line would appear to play on. Many players never get this kind of free agency experience, and he’s basically alone in it right now. I don’t begrudge him the opportunity to soak in as much as he can. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

This is where I am. Obviously i’d like him on the team but if it’s true that he’s getting 15-16 million dollar offers I’m not as excited about it. 

I really feel like we can get two real contributors for that money and the concern about Watt producing at a high level is very real. 

Unless they truly believe the leadership/motivation intangibles are what this team really needs. Idk, I have my reservations but I guess I do trust Beane to do the right thing.

Im not overly concerned that he hasn’t chosen us by now. There’s a lot to consider and Green Bay isn’t chopped liver. Also, I don’t know how exciting our D line would appear to play on. Many players never get this kind of free agency experience, and he’s basically alone in it right now. I don’t begrudge him the opportunity to soak in as much as he can. 

I agree, he can do what he wants.  It's an envious position to be in.  

I'm right where you are:  Like to have him, trust McBeane to what makes the most sense for the team. 

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Unless they truly believe the leadership/motivation intangibles are what this team is lacking. Idk, I have my reservations but I guess I do trust Beane to do the right thing.

The 15-16M offers could be the reason that this is taking longer.  If Beane is offering up 10-12 mill, maybe he’s trying to get that number up a little bit.  

There’s no reason for him to sign this contract.  I don’t see why any fans would be “less interested” in him because he hasn’t chosen us yet.  It’s pretty weak imo.  

It’s not as if he’s deciding between the Bills and 2 teams that he has no ties to.  The Bills are in the mix with his home town team.....and his old coach.  If anything, we should be happy to still be in the mix.  This can’t be an easy decision for anyone....let alone a player of his caliber having his first crack at free agency.  

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The 15-16M offers could be the reason that this is taking longer.  If Beane is offering up 10-12 mill, maybe he’s trying to get that number up a little bit.  

There’s no reason for him to sign this contract.  I don’t see why any fans would be “less interested” in him because he hasn’t chosen us yet.  It’s pretty weak imo.  

It’s not as if he’s deciding between the Bills and 2 teams that he has no ties to.  The Bills are in the mix with his home town team.....and his old coach.  If anything, we should be happy to still be in the mix.  This can’t be an easy decision for anyone....let alone a player of his caliber having his first crack at free agency.  

It's taking a while b.c Watt is in no hurry to chose.

Edited by TBBills

54 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

You’re reading into Watt not following the media and our perceived idea of his timeline. If he ends up choosing buffalo it will be because they are his first choice and he wants to be here.

He is a member of a small group of players who get a decade plus into their career before having the opportunity to choose where they want to play. I’m fine with him taking his time. 

• Agree 1

On 2/25/2021 at 6:07 PM, KDIGGZ said:

Of the teams reportedly interested, only Cleveland has that kind of cash. He will get to play his brothers twice a year. I don't consider them a legit Super Bowl contender but others might.

Beane has not been one to get into bidding wars. I think Bills should focus on cheaper option like 1 year prove it deal for Clowney

Yes but John Clayton says Cleveland is out of the running and they are not a finalist for consideration! 

He seemed to say all that the other day with confidence that he had good information.

21 hours ago, Rubes said:

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but one of the guys on GMFB this morning said Watt had already received offers in the $15-16 mill per season range. Have to believe there's no way the Bills can afford that or would pay that.

It’s been posted about 800 times since dianna Russini reported it a few days ago. Watt has already said in response to the report that he and his agent talk to no one except the teams. So it is a team leak. Could be any team but i doubt it is the Bills leak. Probably jags. 

btw I do think the Bills can and would

pay him that depending on how it is structured. If they want to. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I just don't think any team will sign him until the final salary cap number is decided. A team like the Jaguars can offer him whatever they want to right now, but the contending teams all have a tight budget and they can't structure the deal without knowing what they're working with. Supposedly the NFL is waiting until their new TV contracts are negotiated and signed before finalizing the salary cap. Disney was the first domino to fall so hopefully we're close to finding out for sure.

But even if we don't sign Watt we know that Beane is making pass rusher a priority in free agency this year. IMO the best Bills edge rusher of 2021 isn't on the team yet. If it isn't Watt, someone else in that 2nd or 3rd tier will be a Bill this season.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just don't think any team will sign him until the final salary cap number is decided. A team like the Jaguars can offer him whatever they want to right now, but the contending teams all have a tight budget and they can't structure the deal without knowing what they're working with. Supposedly the NFL is waiting until their new TV contracts are negotiated and signed before finalizing the salary cap. Disney was the first domino to fall so hopefully we're close to finding out for sure.

But even if we don't sign Watt we know that Beane is making pass rusher a priority in free agency this year. IMO the best Bills edge rusher of 2021 isn't on the team yet. If it isn't Watt, someone else in that 2nd or 3rd tier will be a Bill this season.

I wonder that too, but from everything I’ve seen it looks like we’re down within the 2-3 million range of varience. At very least it seems sure to be between 180-185. I would think teams could use that as a baseline at least to act, if they were so wanting to. 

4 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

My guess is he signs somewhere around March 8, maybe the 10th.  This will maximize the time for publicity before general FA starts.  He views himself as the center of the universe and that date range is the peak for someone with the need for self promotion.  

How about him signing around 3/22, which is his birthday??

Edited by Solomon Grundy

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I think it's between Buffalo, Green Bay and Las Vegas

I think Buffalo makes the most sense. I cannot see GBay changing to a 4-3 line, and this alignment would help his skills the most. I feel he wants to play his best, and get the most out of his body these last few years for all of his training and healthy eating efforts. Of course stats mean alot to competitors and players who are used to that attention. What player would not want to regain that personal glory, for one or two more years, if possible? Yes, a Super Bowls can bring glory, but Buff and GBay seem similar at chances there. 

He loves GBay, as its home to him, but they have other more important needs I think, and less to spend perhaps with their other priorities. It's not a perfect fit for them.  That's why you see stories of that. Buff desperately needs a pass rusher and run stuffer, and leader there. He could be seen as the hero here. ..As for Las Vegas, not sure why he'd want to play for an average team, and with lots of holes, pressure there, and questions. Maybe they are the team who offered the most, not sure...As for my preference, I do not care either way. See pros of JJ, but pros of using that money on a younger guy on the rise with almost just as much talent.

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I wonder that too, but from everything I’ve seen it looks like we’re down within the 2-3 million range of varience. At very least it seems sure to be between 180-185. I would think teams could use that as a baseline at least to act, if they were so wanting to. 

Yeah but there's no reason for teams to rush into it. It makes no difference if he signs now or he signs one day before free agency. For teams like us and the Packers and the Titans a $2 million difference is meaningful.

Unless I've missed something I haven't seen any team re-sign a player or pick up a 5th year option yet. The only moves I've seen so far are teams releasing players. That tells me teams are being extra cautious right now and no new player contracts will be inked until the NFL finalizes the cap number. Once that happens I bet Watt is signed somewhere within a couple days.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone remember the Tyson Clabo thread? Those were sad times. 

31 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Bills not even listed in top 8 now...

not that this means anything but this is where money is...

Cleveland is the favorite, followed by Green Bay, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, according to Points Bet.

Honestly, it’s probably for the best.  There’s a guy in the draft that is a better player than Watt is right now. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

You’re reading into Watt not following the media and our perceived idea of his timeline. If he ends up choosing buffalo it will be because they are his first choice and he wants to be here.

He is a member of a small group of players who get a decade plus into their career before having the opportunity to choose where they want to play. I’m fine with him taking his time. 

I'm fine with him doing whatever he wants. 

What I really was saying is that I'm like a girl waiting to get asked to the prom.  The longer he waits to ask, the more he's saying to me I'm not the one.   If the question is that close for him, I'm not happy.  

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1