Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

Supply and demand.  I think it's fair to say the Bills pass rush is a massive weakness, maybe the biggest missing piece to a ring.  We may have to overpay for Watt, but at this point what other options do the Bills have for making an upgrade to the pass rush of the required magnitude for this upcoming season?  I don't want to see an otherwise championship-calibur team ripped apart by the likes of Brady and Mahomes next season.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Man, it’s gotten to the point where one man can’t make snap judgement assumptions about another man by his avatar. 

If this is the way America is headed i’m moving to Canada! 

Give me old America any time. Gluten in my bread, Randal Cunningham is the hottest thing to hit the NFL, and you can call a man a curmudgeonly crankster and no one even bats an eye. 

Don't move here. Trust me.

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Came here to post this but you beat me to it.

John Clayton did a Pittsburgh radio segment today in which he mentioned all this.

Interesting that Buffalo is in the Final 3.

Can somebody sell me on Watt? He averaged .88 sacks per game start prior to 2019 and .38 after. His production in rushing the passer is less than 1/2 the level it used to be on a per start basis.

Is the thought he can be rejuvenated by a change in scenery, one more year and he will be even more healthy, playing in a 4-3 will help his production in pass rush, solid run D, play inside sometimes?  Sort of like a better version of Shaq Lawson? Are we getting so excited at his name or what we expect him to bring? I'm certainly interested in this storyline. Just don't know what to make of it yet if he does sign.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Can somebody sell me on Watt? He averaged .88 sacks per game start prior to 2019 and .38 after. His production in rushing the passer is less than 1/2 the level it used to be on a per start basis.

Is the thought he can be rejuvenated by a change in scenery, one more year and he will be even more healthy, playing in a 4-3 will help his production in pass rush, solid run D, play inside sometimes?  Sort of like a better version of Shaq Lawson? Are we getting so excited at his name or what we expect him to bring? I'm certainly interested in this storyline. Just don't know what to make of it yet if he does sign.  

My angle is he played 90% of snaps and has been the focal point of preparation by opposing offenses his whole career. Hoping a lower % snaps can keep him healthy happy and rejuvenated. He'll be on a better defense, better coaching and supposedly the best training/ recooperating facilities in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

My angle is he played 90% of snaps and has been the focal point of preparation by opposing offenses his whole career. Hoping a lower % snaps can keep him healthy happy and rejuvenated. He'll be on a better defense, better coaching and supposedly the best training/ recooperating facilities in the league.

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Hmm, thank you guys.....This does have some intrigue. I mean, the Texans were pitiful last year and in theory Watts could have just been doubled almost every snap. He recovered with such force after the first injury...

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

One only has to google his 2020 highlights to see he still has it.  Total stud and instantly upgrades our run and pass defense.  I would get a total football chub if Beane manages to get Watt and resign Darryl Williams.  The rest I think we can manage through draft/FA.  

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This sounds more like he was just speculating than any inside info he has.

JJ Watt is unlikely to make any decisions until the QB situation around the league stabilizes.

Will Deshawn Watson be traded to Miami or another contender?

Is Rothlesburger retiring?

How about Dak Prescott, rumors are he could be traded, but where?

Etc...etc

44 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

The biggest thing for me is he was one of, if not the most double teamed guy in the league this past year (at least as far as edge-ish rushers go) and he was still productive. To me, this means that as long as he stays healthy, he should:

1. Free up Hughes, and to a larger extent, Oliver, to have more 1 on 1 matchups (particularly Oliver, who was very good when blocked by a single blocker but pedestrian against double teams)
  2. Improve our run defense
  3. Get pressure on the QB himself
  4. Continue deflecting passes at the line which could theoretically improve our tight end defense
  • Like (+1) 1