Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

21 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I mean that in the broader sense...frankly the whole video about asking for his release was a bit over dramatic to me. The browns stuff...etc...

You mean the video where he was saying goodbye to the City/team/fanbase he's been playing for his entire career? Also what Browns stuff?

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

If Mack hasn't lost a step I'd give up pick 30 in an instant. I think he's started to wear down a little though, and at his smaller size, that's not good.

I think I’d rather have Watt than have to pony up pick 30 for Mack, who turns 30 in a few days.  If Watt is truly asking for 2 years $25m, I think he’d be a great addition.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Hey, I really agree with this...and when you look at the FA defensive players available, there are a lot that are impressive. I start by getting back to finding that LORAX figure in this defense. We need guys who fit, not gimmicks. If you think about it, Rex Ryan was this gimmick too...was not a fit with all our 4-3 Players. I really like both Judon and Barrett....a few others. Even a dude like Kerrigan intrigues me. I hope Beane trusts his evaluations. If they deem Watt a great fit or a guy they see a role for, then so be it...but only if he is....don't try to sell tix by getting a guy we've heard of. 

I like Watt as a player, and like his energy, but I do roll my eyes sometimes at the theatrics. I'm rolling my eyes a bit at his twitter right now.

We need Watt AND Kerrigan

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my thing is, if we're willing to pay in that ballpark for an aging warrior on the downhill side of his distinguished career, would it make sense to pay for a guy in his prime? 

I don't think it's going to be in the ballpark though. Probably a $5 million per year difference. 

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't think it's going to be in the ballpark though. Probably a $5 million per year difference. 

I think Watt will get around $5 million more than Lawson - and Watt deserves it. 

Getting Lawson would be okay, more of a consolation prize in the Clowney/Hendrickson/Kerrigan tier.

1 hour ago, Dkollidas said:

1) He fits the scheme perfectly

2) He’s a perfect character fit.

3) we can create the money easily enough (Butler & Jefferson alone would save $13.3M)

4) we have the need at the position 

-The only question is if he’ll want to actually play in Buffalo, NY.

Green Bay can make the room, is a contender, and his his childhood team.

Cleveland could offer more money and is closer to his wife in Chicago, but not by much. And I’m not sure how much of a contender he views them as. 

If proximity to Chicago is a concern, Green Bay is closer to Chicago than Cleveland.  Green Bay is only 3 hrs drive vs. 5+ hrs

I think football people in general view Cleveland as a contender.    We in Buffalo prefer not to, but they have a coach-of-the-year, an 11-5 record, a top-5 running game, a QB who checks the boxes for "good enough to win with a team around him", a top young edge rusher in Myles Garrett, ~$20M in cap, and a gaping hole at RDE where Oliver Vernon played until he injured his Achilles.

5 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I think Watt will get around $5 million more than Lawson - and Watt deserves it. 

Getting Lawson would be okay, more of a consolation prize in the Clowney/Hendrickson/Kerrigan tier.

I think Lawson has a better next 5 years than all 3 of Clowney/Hendrickson/Kerrigan. I think Lawson is a great get as a guy who is still very young and is hitting the "putting it all together" spot in his career. I see multiple double digit sack seasons coming his way.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
Added word

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If proximity to Chicago is a concern, Green Bay is closer to Chicago than Cleveland.  Green Bay is only 3 hrs drive vs. 5+ hrs

I think football people in general view Cleveland as a contender.    We in Buffalo prefer not to, but they have a coach-of-the-year, an 11-5 record, a top-5 running game, a QB who checks the boxes for "good enough to win with a team around him", a top young edge rusher in Myles Garrett, ~$20M in cap, and a gaping hole at RDE where Oliver Vernon played until he injured his Achilles.

Watt has made over 100 million in his career so far. Why is he driving from GB to Chicago, or Clevland to Chicago? Dude has played in Houston, while married. If Houston wasn't a dumpster fire, he would have never left. Now proximity for a couple years to his wife is an issue? Is he driving to Chicago after Sunday games, then coming back a day or two later for team meetings and practice? The NSWL ends October 30th. I think we need to stop thinking proximity to his wife is some huge factor. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Green Bay is 5+ hours from Chicago too. I live in the Chi area & driven to GB.

16 minutes ago, 947 said:

Green Bay is 5+ hours from Chicago too. I live in the Chi area & driven to GB.

Traffic?  It's only 217 miles.  Had a colleague who moved to Chicago a few years back, one of the selling points to him was proximity to relatives in WI.  Wonder if he got disappointed that it took longer than he thought.

Joe B. weighs in on the JJ Watt thing:

https://theathletic.com/2395778/2021/02/18/j-j-watt-and-the-bills-it-can-work-on-the-field-financially-but-does-it-make-sense/

Why do the Bills want Watt?

Only days removed from their crushing loss in the AFC Championship Game, the problems of the 2020 Bills were in full view. One of head coach Sean McDermott’s points of emphasis centered around getting faster and putting more pressure on the quarterback than they did last season. Watching the Buccaneers dominate the line of scrimmage in the Super Bowl against the Chiefs likely served as confirmation to McDermott’s claims of where they fell short one round earlier.

Acquiring Watt would give the Bills a player with a long history of impacting the game, whether with quarterback hits or in forcing incompletions. It would make the Bills a better team on paper and give the opponents a high-profile player to prepare for every week. Although given his injury history, age and the natural decline most players have following their prime, it is fair to wonder what the Bills would get out of Watt in his age-32 season

Ted Nguyen then provides film breakdowns of Watt showing where and how he's lost a step rushing from the edge, before concluding:

Another area in which Watt has greatly regressed is his ability to bend to finish for sacks. Injuries seemed to have greatly affected his balance and flexibility, which is another reason why he should be rushing from the interior more.

In 2020, offenses still respected Watt. They were aware of where he was and sent chip blocks his way or doubled him. It wasn’t anywhere near the amount of attention he was given when he was at his peak, but one has to wonder if they’ll start allowing him to be single-blocked more if he produces as he did in 2020.

(....)

Watt is still somewhat twitchy and can beat blocks with well-coordinated moves and hand fighting but he has to have a two-way go. He’s just not a threat on the edge anymore. In the right situation, where he doesn’t have to play too many snaps, especially on run downs and can rush from the inside more, Watt can be an effective pass rusher but he’s not close to the superstar that he used to be.

(This is not sounding like a guy Beane ought to sell the farm for, unless they feel they can revitalize him)

Then Joe weighs in again:

If the Bills were to add Watt this offseason, it would likely focus on fulfilling the two-in-one role the Bills hoped to use Jefferson in last season. When Jefferson played with Seattle in 2019, the Seahawks utilized him both as a defensive end on early downs and as an interior pass rusher in obvious passing situations. The Bills even listed Jefferson as a defensive lineman rather than defensive tackle, likely with that vision in mind. (...)

With Lotulelei presumably coming back in 2021, that means the Bills will once again have that versatile role in mind, and Watt would be an excellent candidate to fill it. Watt would ideally line up as a run-stuffing defensive end on early downs and slide inside on pass-rushing downs to pair with Oliver.

(He then goes on to discuss the cap and what could be saved by releasing whom)

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Trade for Mack? Why no Judon or Shaq Barrett? 

Retool cap #s dont give up another 1st rounder. 

I’d love Mack......but trading multiple picks and adding his salary could be trouble in a couple years. The couple games I watched him this season, he didn’t impress me as much as in the past.

i say no to Judo and yes to Barrett.  

Edited by NewEra

4 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Athletic article was a warning on signing him. Said he’s not effective as and end rushing any longer. Injuries and age has diminished his burst and bend. Is still very effective as an inside rusher But Houston rarely used him inside

• Vomit 1