Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Thought this was an interesting take.

Hopefully the Bills are looking carefully through all the FA and trying to find way to improve our OL

https://www.radio.com/wgr550/sports/bills/carl-lawson-should-be-atop-bills-pass-rush-wish-list

Carl Lawson will get a huge contract. Bills aren't going there this offseason. 

Spotrac has that projection way off in my opinion. Agents and GMs know all the stats listed. He's getting a bigger deal than Shaq Lawson. Shaq got 3 years $30 million. My guess for Carl Lawson is $15 million per year. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Spotrac has that projection way off in my opinion. Agents and GMs know all the stats listed. He's getting a bigger deal than Shaq Lawson. 

He should get more than shaq for sure.  He’s the guy I want 💯. Even at 12-14M per year he’s a good value imo.  I’d pay him, if I were Beane.  He’s one of the most underrated players in the league imo

11 minutes ago, cablesabres68 said:

I personally think he is going to chicago after the last tweet he had we will see but my money is on chicago

What was his last tweet?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, cablesabres68 said:

https://t.co/7t2E5vCpxT looks like he is in his wife's apt/condo in chicago

He wants to play for a contender....maybe they plan on trading for Watson?   

he can buy a condo in any city he/she wants.  I don’t see why on earth he’d sign with them.  Maybe just trying to force GBs hand.  

56 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Spotrac has that projection way off in my opinion. Agents and GMs know all the stats listed. He's getting a bigger deal than Shaq Lawson. Shaq got 3 years $30 million. My guess for Carl Lawson is $15 million per year. 

I guess my thing is, if we're willing to pay in that ballpark for an aging warrior on the downhill side of his distinguished career, would it make sense to pay for a guy in his prime? 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Watt's wife is a soccer player who plays for the Chicago Red Stars.  "Two Body Problem" LOL

If Watt wants to contend for a Championship, the Bears need a QB who can go toe-to-toe with Aaron Rodgers, Russ Willson, and yes, Tom Brady.

He's gonna have to choose: city where my wife works, or best shot at a championship?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess my thing is, if we're willing to pay in that ballpark for an aging warrior on the downhill side of his distinguished career, would it make sense to pay for a guy in his prime? 

Agree.   I won’t hate it if we get Watt, in fact I’m sure I’ll be pretty pumped... but if there’s ever going to be a position we overpay for in FA, given we have our QB, LT, WR and CB, it should be young EDGE. 

I trust Beane and McDermott to fill out the roster once all these contracts, mainly Josh’s, start hitting. 

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He wants to play for a contender....maybe they plan on trading for Watson?

If the Bears want to trade for Watson, they got some serious cap issues to clear.  Currently a bit over the cap.

59 minutes ago, NewEra said:

he can buy a condo in any city he/she wants.  I don’t see why on earth he’d sign with them.  Maybe just trying to force GBs hand.  

As said before, she's a professional athlete.  I'm sure she'd love them both to have jobs in the same city, or at least an easy commute.

18 hours ago, Motorin' said:

True, but Reggie White had 29 sacks in the previous 2 seasons before moving to GB, and had started 16 out of 16 games for the previous 5 seasons. There were no signs of injury or performance dips in his entire career.

He only missed 1 game and 3 starts in his 6 years in GB, and had 16 sacks in his last season with GB at the age of 37.

There is only 1 Reggie White. 

right on the money. Watt will give you 4-6 games/yr.People expect him to get healthier as he gets older?

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If the Bears want to trade for Watson, they got some serious cap issues to clear.  Currently a bit over the cap.

Allen Robinson is also a free agent this year not sure how they could put all those pieces together to be a contender.

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's where I am.  Back in the day with Russ Brandon involved, I always felt there were marketing motivations involved in signing FA .... kind of "yeah, let's sign TO, he'll put bodies in the seats!  Let's bring in Vince Young, he could really excite the fan base, they've heard of him!  Lights Out!  Yeah, Shawne Merriman!"  Kind of like Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney, "Hey, let's put on a show!"

But I trust Beane and his FO that if they cut Mario Addison and Quinton Jefferson and sign JJ Watt, it's because they've carefully watched his last 3 years of film and they feel he can better contribute something the team needs at this point, and they have a specific dollar value on what he brings and they won't exceed it.

Hey, I really agree with this...and when you look at the FA defensive players available, there are a lot that are impressive. I start by getting back to finding that LORAX figure in this defense. We need guys who fit, not gimmicks. If you think about it, Rex Ryan was this gimmick too...was not a fit with all our 4-3 Players. I really like both Judon and Barrett....a few others. Even a dude like Kerrigan intrigues me. I hope Beane trusts his evaluations. If they deem Watt a great fit or a guy they see a role for, then so be it...but only if he is....don't try to sell tix by getting a guy we've heard of. 

I like Watt as a player, and like his energy, but I do roll my eyes sometimes at the theatrics. I'm rolling my eyes a bit at his twitter right now.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Eyeroll 1

I like Watt as a player, and like his energy, but I do roll my eyes sometimes at the theatrics. I'm rolling my eyes a bit at his twitter right now.

What's wrong with his twitter? 

He's throwing some shade at his brother TJ...posting about his dogs...tweeting about his nephew's birthday and his wedding anniversary

Aside from the comment "free agency is wild", seems like a pretty typical twitter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What's wrong with his twitter? 

He's throwing some shade at his brother TJ...posting about his dogs...tweeting about his nephew's birthday and his wedding anniversary

Aside from the comment "free agency is wild", seems like a pretty typical twitter.

I mean that in the broader sense...frankly the whole video about asking for his release was a bit over dramatic to me. The browns stuff...etc...

• Vomit 1

1) He fits the scheme perfectly

2) He’s a perfect character fit.

3) we can create the money easily enough (Butler & Jefferson alone would save $13.3M)

4) we have the need at the position 

-The only question is if he’ll want to actually play in Buffalo, NY.

Green Bay can make the room, is a contender, and his his childhood team.

Cleveland could offer more money and is closer to his wife in Chicago, but not by much. And I’m not sure how much of a contender he views them as. 

• Like (+1) 1