Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Watt choosing Bills has chance of bringing other guys along who are also chasing rings.  Kind of like what Brady’s presence does.  There’s a lot of vets who are gonna get cut.  If we can’t get Gronk, then a guy like Kyle Rudolph is intriguing if Vikings cut him.  Does Sherman take less money to chase a ring.  Milano’s replacement.  A vet RB.  I think Watt picking the Bills would have an add-on effect.  

I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is the culture that McBean have been working on.

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

Reggie White was 32 also when he went to a new team.

That worked out well.

True, but Reggie White had 29 sacks in the previous 2 seasons before moving to GB, and had started 16 out of 16 games for the previous 5 seasons. There were no signs of injury or performance dips in his entire career.

He only missed 1 game and 3 starts in his 6 years in GB, and had 16 sacks in his last season with GB at the age of 37.

There is only 1 Reggie White. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

True, but Reggie White had 29 sacks in the previous 2 seasons before moving to GB, and had started 16 out of 16 games for the previous 5 seasons. There were no signs of injury or performance dips in his entire career.

He only missed 1 game and 3 starts in his 6 years in GB, and had 16 sacks in his last season with GB at the age of 37.

There is only 1 Reggie White. 

All true. I won't dispute it.

All I am saying is maybe Watt can have an impact here.

Who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, njbuff said:

All true. I won't dispute it.

All I am saying is maybe Watt can have an impact here.

Who knows.

I think it all depends on how healthy he is. He certainly could, if he isn't too physically shot. I just don't know what to expect. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Watt choosing Bills has chance of bringing other guys along who are also chasing rings.  Kind of like what Brady’s presence does.  There’s a lot of vets who are gonna get cut.  If we can’t get Gronk, then a guy like Kyle Rudolph is intriguing if Vikings cut him.  Does Sherman take less money to chase a ring.  Milano’s replacement.  A vet RB.  I think Watt picking the Bills would have an add-on effect.  

Sherman has a ring.

I'm very meh on this whole thing. Could we use the dline help and the exposure it would bring for other free agts, sure. Its going to come at a cost though because he wants big bucks still and hasn't been exactly healthy the last couple seasons. I'll trust Beane here of course though. Definitely not going to be heartbroken if he signs somewhere else though.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

I'm very meh on this whole thing. Could we use the dline help and the exposure it would bring for other free agts, sure. Its going to come at a cost though because he wants big bucks still and hasn't been exactly healthy the last couple seasons. I'll trust Beane here of course though. Definitely not going to be heartbroken if he signs somewhere else though.

That's where I am.  Back in the day with Russ Brandon involved, I always felt there were marketing motivations involved in signing FA .... kind of "yeah, let's sign TO, he'll put bodies in the seats!  Let's bring in Vince Young, he could really excite the fan base, they've heard of him!  Lights Out!  Yeah, Shawne Merriman!"  Kind of like Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney, "Hey, let's put on a show!"

But I trust Beane and his FO that if they cut Mario Addison and Quinton Jefferson and sign JJ Watt, it's because they've carefully watched his last 3 years of film and they feel he can better contribute something the team needs at this point, and they have a specific dollar value on what he brings and they won't exceed it.

• Like (+1) 6

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is the culture that McBean have been working on.

Watt has had to create his own atmosphere as much as he can with weak coaching. Theres something to be said about showing up to a team with a good culture in place, and just having to worry about yourself. That's gotta be a very attractive situation for a guy in his twilight years.

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

JJ Watt signed!!!!

This helmet!

3F72C1F8-DDA6-4A9D-9A33-1F0A674CB6B3.jpeg

Bass (you know our kicker) turd lol

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's where I am.  Back in the day with Russ Brandon involved, I always felt there were marketing motivations involved in signing FA .... kind of "yeah, let's sign TO, he'll put bodies in the seats!  Let's bring in Vince Young, he could really excite the fan base, they've heard of him!  Lights Out!  Yeah, Shawne Merriman!"  Kind of like Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney, "Hey, let's put on a show!"

But I trust Beane and his FO that if they cut Mario Addison and Quinton Jefferson and sign JJ Watt, it's because they've carefully watched his last 3 years of film and they feel he can better contribute something the team needs at this point, and they have a specific dollar value on what he brings and they won't exceed it.

You said it well, Hap. It does feel really good to trust the front office.

10 hours ago, mjt328 said:

After this offseason, the Bills will probably have Top 5 paid (at their position) players in Josh Allen, Tre White and Mitch Morse.

It's possible they can restructure Morse, but then I imagine Stephon Diggs will start pushing for a new contract.

Dion Dawkins sits just outside the Top 10 on offensive tackles.  Jordan Poyer is just outside the Top 10 on safeties.

My point is that our roster, in terms of salary cap, is starting to get a little bit top-heavy.

Every team can have a handful of big contracts.  But after your QB and maybe 2-3 other positions, those big contracts are eventually going to start costing talent everywhere else.

Would you rather have a roster with several big name Pro-Bowlers, hoping they can make up for big weaknesses at a couple other spots?  Or would you rather have a couple Pro-Bowlers, and strong depth across the board?  1 good player + 2 below average players?  Or 3 good players.  In my opinion, the latter is a better recipe for consistent/long-term success. 

The Bills were close this year.  Their offseason plan should be improving a few places, without upsetting what worked in 2020.

If JJ Watt costs them a combination of Matt Milano, Darryl Williams, Jon Feliciano, or forces them to cut guys who have contributed... he's not worth it.

Yes and no. Allen's contract extension will no doubt be in the top 5 for QBs, but once they pick up his 5th year option, his cap hit for this year will be nowhere near top 5 and next year's will be the average salaries of the 10 highest paid QBs this year. We have 2 more seasons before Josh's cap hit is top 5. If we were to sign Watt to a 2 or 3 year contract, now's the perfect time to do so before we have to pay big bucks for Josh.

I would also venture to guess they will restructure Mitch Morse's contract or cut him.

KC has several high priced players and they've been the best team in football over the last 2 seasons. Last year their 8 highest paid players ate up $115.6 million, leaving less than 2 million per player on average for the rest of the roster. They're going to have to do something this year though as their 9 highest paid players are slated to have a combined $157.3 million cap hit.

If you can draft well and find some cheaper plug and play players that pan out well for the team you can be successful being top heavy. Your margin of error, of course, is less. You better have to have a really good scout team and GM if you're going to do it and we have both.

• Like (+1) 1