Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

Watt must be telling his agent and teams that he is talking to to make sure that a lid is kept on things. Things have been mostly quiet almost a week in. There have literally been no confirmed reports of him actually meeting with or negotiating with anyone. There have only been rumors of teams that are interested in him and that he is interested in

The more I think about this, the less I want Watt on the Bills. 

I don't want them to spend their limited cap space on a 32-year-old edge rusher whose best days are behind him. Does he fit into the Bills defensive scheme? Plus, getting him would have a domino effect on other players they might get or keep. I really think people are getting dazzled by the name and reputation and not thinking analytically on what Watt would realistically bring to the team, and the repercussions of bringing him. 

• Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I don't want them to spend their limited cap space on a 32-year-old edge rusher whose best days are behind him. Does he fit into the Bills defensive scheme? Plus, getting him would have a domino effect on other players they might get or keep. I really think people are getting dazzled by the name and reputation and not thinking analytically on what Watt would realistically bring to the team, and the repercussions of bringing him. 

Seriously, go up literally 1 post from yours-he’s not washed up. Definitely had some injuries, not washed up. Also analytically the guy just had an outstanding season

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

He is tailor-made for McD’s scheme. The fit couldn’t be better.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Seriously, go up literally 1 post from yours-he’s not washed up. Definitely had some injuries, not washed up. Also analytically the guy just had an outstanding season

I saw that. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I predict Watt, if he comes to the Bills, will be at best mediocre and at worst huge mistake that will set the team back. But I'm just a fan, no expert.  

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think with how high Edmunds was drafted and these pro bowls that I don't think he deserved will make it almost impossible to sign him. He is going to ask for money that doesn’t add up with what you get on the field currently. I like Edmunds as a player and I know he is still young but if he asks to be paid as a top 5 at his position it’s going to be hard to swallow that. 

If he plays at the level he did this year, or even a little higher, i hope he prices himself out of here.  Our staff does seem to covet "their" guys and keep them around too long sometimes.  I definitely dont want Edmunds stretching us out because we feel like hes going to turn a corner that never comes. Hes tall and thats great for passing lanes but cmon are we going to pay the guy top 10 $s.  If we have to settle for a better player thats not tall lol then so be it.  Or hell snag a tall dude in middle to late rounds thats smart and you think you can develop

Who would you rather have? 

Kawaan Short 

or Watt? 

Short:

had 32.5 sacks (seventh-most in franchise history and most for a Panthers defensive tackle), 280 total tackles, 59 tackles for loss and 88 quarterback hits during his eight seasons in Carolina. From 2015-17, Short was third among all NFL defensive tackles in sacks (24.5), fourth in tackles for loss (35) and fifth in quarterback hits (52). His 11 sacks in 2015 are the most by a defensive tackle in a season in team history.

Both are a gamble bc of injury history. 

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Kawaan Short 

or Watt? 

Short:

had 32.5 sacks (seventh-most in franchise history and most for a Panthers defensive tackle), 280 total tackles, 59 tackles for loss and 88 quarterback hits during his eight seasons in Carolina. From 2015-17, Short was third among all NFL defensive tackles in sacks (24.5), fourth in tackles for loss (35) and fifth in quarterback hits (52). His 11 sacks in 2015 are the most by a defensive tackle in a season in team history.

I mean, with Star hopefully coming back, I’d rather have Watt if we can get him in the 10-12 mill AAV range.

1 hour ago, Dr. K said:

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

44 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I saw that. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I predict Watt, if he comes to the Bills, will be at best mediocre and at worst huge mistake that will set the team back. But I'm just a fan, no expert.  

Let me follow the train of thought here... 

You think people are getting caught up in the name and aren’t thinking analytically. 

Then numbers (analytics) are brought to your attention to illustrate that he’s still a very impactful player. 

Then you say that the numbers don’t matter anymore and you’re just going off of gut? 

Tighten it up. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Kawaan Short 

or Watt? 

Short:

Watt and it's not even close

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I saw that. 

Well - it's your lucky day. I am an expert.

You're wrong.

:bag:

• Thank you (+1) 1