Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

37 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I wonder about the timing of this playing out. Does he sign really fast, or does he let it sit for a while like Clowney? 

I think he is better off signing quickly. 

The article Hap linked by Parriro said he would be shocked if Watt hadn't signed by Friday. 

Here's hoping Beane can get Watt for $12 - $13 mill for two years by Friday!

12 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The article Hap linked by Parriro said he would be shocked if Watt hadn't signed by Friday. 

Here's hoping Beane can get Watt for $12 - $13 mill for two years by Friday!

Parrino?  Matt Parrino is the author.  Not sure who Parriro is?

The person he quoted with that viewpoint is Spotrac's Mike Ginnitti (though he spells his name wrong as Ginnetti).  Ginnitti is a UB grad, btw, and obviously has connections where he can get contract details on players, but  I don't have any feel for how "plugged in" (or not) Ginnitti may be with agents etc. to get insight in what their thinking is prior to the signing.

My feeling is, unless there is clear word from the NFL by Friday on what the cap will be, we are not going to see Beane committing the Bills to a $24M contract by Friday. 

That may be the point of Watt saying that one of his criteria is to go to a team with cap space: because he wants to get a deal done soon, and he recognizes that a cap-limited team is going to want to get a feel for what cap space they actually have before pulling the trigger.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My feeling is, unless there is clear word from the NFL by Friday on what the cap will be, we are not going to see Beane committing the Bills to a $24M contract by Friday. 

That may be the point of Watt saying that one of his criteria is to go to a team with cap space: because he wants to get a deal done soon, and he recognizes that a cap-limited team is going to want to get a feel for what cap space they actually have before pulling the trigger.

On the other hand, getting Watt at $12 mill/yr looks real good to me in comparison to the dollars quoted in the top 50 discussion of Yannick at $17.5 and Clowney at $13. 

Yes, it would take some cajones and a GM that is confident in his moves to go after a big prize early.  Luckily, seems like we have one, and I think it is a real possibility.  The hesitancy of other GMs to make the early move might be helping in getting Watt at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Hard to structure that in a way that keeps the 2021 hit low and gives you any sort of out. You pretty much have to do $12m and $12m if he is insisting on two years. 

You can easily spread 24M , to make most of that money hit in 22. Convert about 15M to a roster bonus. Give him a 5M bonus, and a base salary of 2M per year.  That's a 4.5M hit in YR1, and a 20M hit in YR2.

But this is a dangerous game to play, as your basically banking on the Cap to hugely increase for 2022. If you do that with Watt, you'll have about 70M in cap space tied up between Allen, Watt and Edmunds (who's 5th year would be activated, unless the Bills choose to extend him this offseason/season to lessen that ~10-15M hit).

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, appoo said:

You can easily spread 24M , to make most of that money hit in 22. Convert about 15M to a roster bonus. Give him a 5M bonus, and a base salary of 2M per year.  That's a 4.5M hit in YR1, and a 20M hit in YR2.

But this is a dangerous game to play, as your basically banking on the Cap to hugely increase for 2022. If you do that with Watt, you'll have about 70M in cap space tied up between Allen, Watt and Edmunds (who's 5th year would be activated, unless the Bills choose to extend him this offseason/season to lessen that ~10-15M hit).

Yea that is what I mean. I don't want to pay him $24m for 2 years and account for it all in the two years. I think that is too inflexible for a team in the Bills' position. 

My suggestion was If he'd take a deal that was $38m with $23m gua over 3 structured roughly:

$15m prorated signing bonus 

$2m fully guaranteed salary in 2021

$4m fully guaranteed salary in 2022

2021 Cap hit of $7m ($5m prorated bonus + $2m guaranteed salary)

2022 Cap hit of $12m ($5m prorated bonus + $4m guaranteed salary + $3m non-guaranteed salary)

2023 Cap hit of $19m ($5m prorated bonus + $14m non-guaranteed salary)

That would mean the Bills still pay him what he is looking for the first 2 years but can get out of the dummy third year for a $5m dead hit which they could even spread over two years. Gives us more flexibility. Remember the cap is not really a spending limit it is an accounting limit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is what I mean. I don't want to pay him $24m for 2 years and account for it all in the two years. I think that is too inflexible for a team in the Bills' position. 

My suggestion was If he'd take a deal that was $38m with $23m gua over 3 structured roughly:

$15m prorated signing bonus 

$2m fully guaranteed salary in 2021

$4m fully guaranteed salary in 2022

2021 Cap hit of $7m ($5m prorated bonus + $2m guaranteed salary)

2022 Cap hit of $12m ($5m prorated bonus + $4m guaranteed salary + $3m non-guaranteed salary)

2023 Cap hit of $19m ($5m prorated bonus + $14m non-guaranteed salary)

That would mean the Bills still pay him what he is looking for the first 2 years but can get out of the dummy third year for a $5m dead hit which they could even spread over two years. Gives us more flexibility. Remember the cap is not really a spending limit it is an accounting limit. 

you win the SB next season and that doesn't matter though.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, appoo said:

you win the SB next season and that doesn't matter though.

While I get that as a line of argument I don't think Beane and McDermott are a push the chips into the middle of the table and go all in for 1 year type of duo. They will take calculated risks but they want to be relevant for a long time. And put me in the school that thinks other than a QB it is rarely one guy that puts a team over the top.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

While I get that as a line of argument I don't think Beane and McDermott are a push the chips into the middle of the table and go all in for 1 year type of duo. They will take calculated risks but they want to be relevant for a long time. And put me in the school that thinks other than a QB it is rarely one guy that puts a team over the top.

I think they are pretty damn close though. But yeah, I don't think they are the "one big time player" away. I think they will need more, especially on the Defensive side.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don’t know.  Suh, Gronk, and Fournette were all 1 year types that made a huge difference for Tampa. 

• Like (+1) 1