Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. I was talking more generally about the pecking order in the conference rather than attractiveness to Watt, but I agree totally with your analysis. The three teams I have clustered together are there because they are more limited by their QB situation in different ways. I think they each have another flaw too.... Ravens it is receiving options, the other two it is secondary (and with Tenn pass rush a bit too). The Colts are a solid team with no QB and a lack of special skill players. 

As for Watt I see the argument for Tennessee more strongly than I see the argument for Cleveland. Tenn gives him not only a chance to compete but a scheme match and a coaching / ownership familiarity too. Buffalo offers him a scheme change, and no familiarity, but the best chance to win of any of the AFC teams likely to be in the mix. Not sure what the attraction of Cleveland would be. 

Yeah, I agree with all that.  I'd say also that McDermott is an additional attraction.  He knows Vrabel, I know, but I think the word is out around the league that if you really like to play, McDermott is guy you'll really like to play for.  I don't know anything about Tennessee's ownership and management, but I think the word also is out that the Pegulas do everything first class, and Beane is as committed to winning as McDermott - in other words, more or less insanely committed.   Put it all together, and I think that Watt easily could find the Bills to be the most attractive package.   However, it's pretty subjective stuff, so I could understand how he might prefer one of the other teams.  

Just writing this, it occurs to me how interesting it is that it's hard to make a case for any NFC team.   I don't think he'd go to the Packers just because he's from Wisconsin, and I'm not convinced about the stability of their QB situation.   I mean, Rodgers is great and all, but he's kind of a prima donna, and the Pack certainly have succession in mind.   Not Dallas or anyone else in the east.  New Orleans has a tougher QB picture.  Tampa, I suppose.  The Rams are unsettled at QB.  Arizona?  Seattle?   The AFC teams would all seem to be much more attractive.

Edited by Shaw66

Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com reports that Watt is “seriously considering” making his way to Cleveland to play for the Browns. Among the reasons that the Browns have caught Watt’s eye is the cap space they have to make a deal with the three-time defensive player of the year as well as a roster he thinks can compete for a Super Bowl.

wait what did he say? 

a SB contender or a team with cap space?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-j-j-watt-seriously-153923165.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I liked the Jefferson signing the most and I feel he can still be a nice rotational player, but his salary suggests he should be more

I would try and restructure Jefferson's contract, I think he is a nice rotational player but at 8 million on the cap he isn't worth it, I think . I also would outright cut Butler and ask Addison to restructure his contract. 

38 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

wait what did he say? 

a SB contender or a team with cap space?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-j-j-watt-seriously-153923165.html

Same story different day. "I want to win a championship get me out of here". Then to new teams , "Oh BTW I also ain't giving you any discount!"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I agree with all that.  I'd say also that McDermott is an additional attraction.  He knows Vrabel, I know, but I think the word is out around the league that if you really like to play, McDermott is guy you'll really like to play for.  I don't know anything about Tennessee's ownership and management, but I think the word also is out that the Pegulas do everything first class, and Beane is as committed to winning as McDermott - in other words, more or less insanely committed.   Put it all together, and I think that Watt easily could find the Bills to be the most attractive package.   However, it's pretty subjective stuff, so I could understand how he might prefer one of the other teams.  

Just writing this, it occurs to me how interesting it is that it's hard to make a case for any NFC team.   I don't think he'd go to the Packers just because he's from Wisconsin, and I'm not convinced about the stability of their QB situation.   I mean, Rodgers is great and all, but he's kind of a prima donna, and the Pack certainly have succession in mind.   Not Dallas or anyone else in the east.  New Orleans has a tougher QB picture.  Tampa, I suppose.  The Rams are unsettled at QB.  Arizona?  Seattle?   The AFC teams would all seem to be much more attractive.

Yea Green Bay is the only NFC team that makes sense to me. The chance to go home and that team is right on the brink, and basically plays his scheme. You are right about long term stability but JJ is about to turn 32. I think he is probably intending to play 2 more years. Does he think they have a two year window in the weaker conference? Maybe. He has to weigh all that stuff up. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Green Bay is the only NFC team that makes sense to me. The chance to go home and that team is right on the brink, and basically plays his scheme. You are right about long term stability but JJ is about to turn 32. I think he is probably intending to play 2 more years. Does he think they have a two year window in the weaker conference? Maybe. He has to weigh all that stuff up. 

I'm about to turn 40....what in the bloody are you trying to say ye olde mucker?

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What do you think Watt's range is then?  I thought the leak of Cleveland was to put out there that Watt is looking for good money.  It's not just between - Pitt, GB, KC, the Bills and maybe Tampa. 

And while I believe Clev is a decent team, it didn't seem a culture fit.  Baker, OBJ are me first, M Garret had big issues.  K Hunt is a talented dirt bag.  Watt has worked hard on his team first, competitive image - floating out the consideration of playing with the me-first weirdos in Cleveland screams payment is a bigger factor than I previously thought.

It's amazing that you know OBJ and Mayfield are "me first." OBJ has that rep, but from the media only. His teammates love him. And Mayfield is the furthest from me first that there is. Watch his reactions when his teammates score. 

Garrett had 1 issue, albeit a major one, but his entire history has been of a great guy and teammate.  

Maybe Watt is one of those BS artists who talks about a higher purpose like winning a Super Bowl but in the end it's all about the Benjamin's.

A lot of us have had friends who wanted to change jobs for a better work/life balance.  They sounded so high minded as they looked for a new job but then when the dust settled and they took that new job the work/life balance was worse but the money was a lot better.

I doubt Watt can get the money AND the Super Bowl run.  Or put another way, if Watt gets the money then a team is overpaying him.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Cant believe he wants Cleveland, we are a better team with a better culture and a way better organization. They may have more cap space  but but it if wants to win a championship he needs to come here.

He says the main reason is they have the cap space to give him what he wants...if that’s the case, he is probably asking for more than I want the bills to pay for him...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think both Cleveland are the Bills are really close in terms of who’s the better team going forward.... that being said, who said he wants Cleveland?

J.J. Watt Seriously Considering Cleveland Per Report

Free agent defensive end J.J. Watt is seriously considering the Cleveland Browns according to a report from Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com.

5 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

He says the main reason is they have the cap space to give him what he wants...if that’s the case, he is probably asking for more than I want the bills to pay for him...

I hoping for 2 years 13 mill

42 minutes ago, cle23 said:

It's amazing that you know OBJ and Mayfield are "me first." OBJ has that rep, but from the media only. His teammates love him. And Mayfield is the furthest from me first that there is. Watch his reactions when his teammates score. 

Garrett had 1 issue, albeit a major one, but his entire history has been of a great guy and teammate.  

Of all fan bases you would think Bills fans would try not to be lazy and just listen to the narrative put out there about players. 

53 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Oh stop, your ridiculous Cleveland bias is showing.  OBJ screams "look at me", from his hair, his time at NY, to his complaining about targets.  When you say Mayfield is the furthest from me first that there is - are you seriously trying to put him in the same class as J Allen - because he's not in the same stratosphere.

Not only has Garrett had at least one issue (remember the feable lie he followed that up with when he tried to play the race card?).  Also the organization made a mockery of the "Man of the Year" award by giving Cleveland's designation to that degenerate.  Watt can't be pleased by that.

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Oh stop, your ridiculous Cleveland bias is showing.  OBJ screams "look at me", from his hair, his time at NY, to his complaining about targets.  When you say Mayfield is the furthest from me first that there is - are you seriously trying to put him in the same class as J Allen - because he's not in the same stratosphere.

Not only has Garrett had at least one issue (remember the feable lie he followed that up with when he tried to play the race card?).  Also the organization made a mockery of the "Man of the Year" award by giving Cleveland's designation to that degenerate.  Watt can't be pleased by that.

No one but Rudolph, Garrett and the NFL know what was said. Weird that the audio was lost for that play only. Garrett was beyond dumb with the helmet, but his off the field work speaks for itself.

OBJ has a bad rap, some of it deserved, but just saying most "me first" players aren't great teammates. OBJs teammates love him. 

Also, who said a word about Allen. Mayfield is a great teammate. All the way around. He celebrates just as much when his teammates score or make big plays as he does when he makes the play. What makes him a bad teammate?

Allen is a better QB as of today. That's got nothing to do with Mayfield being a "me first" player as you claim. What makes you say that? And how is Mayfield different than Allen as a teammate?

This Browns leak is 1 of 2 things:

1 - Watt's side trying to get other teams to up their offers

2 - Watt's side trying to get the Browns to up their offer

I think its the former.  The best way to create leverage for more money is the illusion of multiple teams bidding on your service.