Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

IMO, the unfortunate aspect of the Cleveland comment is to let contending teams know "Watt wants to be paid".   The discount angle is just part of his schtick, he wants money while playing on a winning, relevant, team.

GB, Pitt, or the Bills would need to match a Cleveland type offer for consideration, which, in my guess, now puts it up to 15-17 million.

IMO, the odds of the Bills getting him have dropped considerably.

ZERO interest at that kind of money the dude is always hurt now...  HARD PASS at anything even close to 15 mil. 

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

IMO, the unfortunate aspect of the Cleveland comment is to let contending teams know "Watt wants to be paid".   The discount angle is just part of his schtick, he wants money while playing on a winning, relevant, team.

GB, Pitt, or the Bills would need to match a Cleveland type offer for consideration, which, in my guess, now puts it up to 15-17 million.

IMO, the odds of the Bills getting him have dropped considerably.

So instead of playing for a Championship he is doing it for the money aka Mario Williams style.

CLE can be good and the Bills can be good. The main argument I hear is Baker sucks, they dont have Allen. That can be a lot. But lets look at the most recent Super Bowl winners. Is it the best QB with a monster arm or better team?

2021: TB with Brady dinking/dunking and strong running game beats Mahomes

2020: Mahomes, but almost loss to Jimmy G dinking/dunking and strong running game

2019: Brady dinking/dunking and strong running game beats Goff

2018: Foles and running game beats Brady

2017: Brady vs Ryan. Brady wins.

2016: Manning with no arm left beats Newton

2015: Brady beats Wilson

2014: Wilson beats Manning

2013: Flacco beats Kaep

I will stop there. I would say CLE could be that. With a good D and running game. Baker not making mistakes and making easy throws. They could fit the bill. Still, I would rather be the Bills right now with Allen, but to say CLE + Watt sucks is naive IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, gordong said:

ZERO interest at that kind of money the dude is always hurt now...  HARD PASS at anything even close to 15 mil. 

I believe Watt wants to go to a contender, he’s just not interested in a “discount double check”. Don’t think he’s trying to break the bank though. IMO 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

Not one national sports show (that I've heard) has mentioned anything about JJ Watt being interested in...or being a fit in Buffalo.   It's the offseason and Buffalo appears to be irrelevant nationally.

I’ve  heard several. Colin Cowherd brought them up earlier. He’s convinced the interest in Cleveland is BS. According to him it’s going to be either going to be Green Bay or Kansas City 

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Based on what exactly?

Im not entirely sold on Baker either, but they have as much talent as anyone, if not more and another year in the same system should only help them.

I think they win the North next season. 

Based on a harder schedule, (though it’s not that hard) a defense needing improvement, and a year of people knowing stefanski’s offense. Just a hunch, maybe I’m wrong. I think they will ebb and flow with Baker. 

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

CLE can be good and the Bills can be good. The main argument I hear is Baker sucks, they dont have Allen. That can be a lot. But lets look at the most recent Super Bowl winners. Is it the best QB with a monster arm or better team?

2021: TB with Brady dinking/dunking and strong running game beats Mahomes

2020: Mahomes, but almost loss to Jimmy G dinking/dunking and strong running game

2019: Brady dinking/dunking and strong running game beats Goff

2018: Foles and running game beats Brady

2017: Brady vs Ryan. Brady wins.

2016: Manning with no arm left beats Newton

2015: Brady beats Wilson

2014: Wilson beats Manning

2013: Flacco beats Kaep

I will stop there. I would say CLE could be that. With a good D and running game. Baker not making mistakes and making easy throws. They could fit the bill. Still, I would rather be the Bills right now with Allen, but to say CLE + Watt sucks is naive IMO. 

Hey man, not saying your wrong. But your argument says the opposite. Look at that list of SB winners. Brady a bunch of times, Mahomes, Manning, Wilson. Yes you have Flacco and Foles on the list, but those are your 2 exceptions. If you add up all the SB titles to HOF qbs, I bet you'll get more yellow jackets than not.

2 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Hey man, not saying your wrong. But your argument says the opposite. Look at that list of SB winners. Brady a bunch of times, Mahomes, Manning, Wilson. Yes you have Flacco and Foles on the list, but those are your 2 exceptions. If you add up all the SB titles to HOF qbs, I bet you'll get more yellow jackets than not.

Not saying they were bad QB's. More that the QB's winning in the majority of those games did not win throwing for 400 yards and carrying the team on his back. Rather they managed the game well and had a strong running game to balance them out. 

14 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I believe Watt wants to go to a contender, he’s just not interested in a “discount double check”. Don’t think he’s trying to break the bank though. IMO 

What do you think Watt's range is then?  I thought the leak of Cleveland was to put out there that Watt is looking for good money.  It's not just between - Pitt, GB, KC, the Bills and maybe Tampa. 

And while I believe Clev is a decent team, it didn't seem a culture fit.  Baker, OBJ are me first, M Garret had big issues.  K Hunt is a talented dirt bag.  Watt has worked hard on his team first, competitive image - floating out the consideration of playing with the me-first weirdos in Cleveland screams payment is a bigger factor than I previously thought.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Right, but when your prevent defense let’s them back in the game you’ve done something wrong. Just like the Bills did against the Rams in week 3.

Again, the Steelers had the ball at midfield at the end of the third down 12 points having just scored back to back and having forced the browns off the field three straight times. If the Steelers score instead of punting it’s a different game. Again- a huge if and it doesn’t matter cause it didn’t happen. This is the point:

The Browns win can be directly associated with 5-6 mistakes made by the Steelers. Some of them were good plays by the browns (the tipped interception, and the first interception was a good catch, but more or a terrible throw), but several of them were just horrible plays by the Steelers. The fumble to start the game, the interception where Ben just threw it to the air and the browns guy was there. The decision to punt. The dropped pick six late in the game.

all of this works together to create what I would define as an implosion by the Steelers, which is where this digression began. 

Right, prevent defense shouldn't let them back in the game but it typically does make it a lot closer. That's why I hate it. When you have momentum like that it is very hard to turn it off and then turn it back on when you need to.

Just now, cle23 said:

Right, prevent defense shouldn't let them back in the game but it typically does make it a lot closer. That's why I hate it. When you have momentum like that it is very hard to turn it off and then turn it back on when you need to.

This i completely agree with. Prevent is ridiculous. It just seems unintuitive to change what you were doing because it was working so well... 

On 2/12/2021 at 10:29 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Life comes at you fast. They were 11-0 and now headed toward major uncertainty ... need to deal with Villanueva, juju, Dupree as FAs... Ben’s contract is an albatross ... I could see JJ watt and cam on the inside and TJ watt and dupree on the outside but Ben’s arm is falling apart and that overshadows everything 

I mean...no one really saw them as an 11-0 team. People were probably surprised when the WFT beat them but likely not shocked as though they were the Chiefs or Packers.

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I mean...no one really saw them as an 11-0 team. People were probably surprised when the WFT beat them but likely not shocked as though they were the Chiefs or Packers.

I picked the WFT in that game. I actually picked the Ravens to beat them despite no Lamar in the re-arranged thanksgiving game. I could tell it was coming.