Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

If I'm ranking based on his SB desires:

1. Green Bay: The NFC sucks and the NFC North is terrible 

2. Tennessee:  With the Colts having no QB and the Texans total dumpster situation, they should win the South easily.  I put them here over us bc I think they can out bid us.  

3. Buffalo:  If Miami doesn't get Watson and Tua doesn't improve the Bills could go 6-0 in the division again.  

That should be his list unless he plays for league minimum with the Cowboys or Chiefs.    

Cleveland? Opposite Garrett, with an up and coming young team. I think Cleveland is just as high as Tennessee. Probably a little behind KC and Buffalo but still right there.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland? Opposite Garrett, with an up and coming young team. I think Cleveland is just as high as Tennessee. Probably a little behind KC and Buffalo but still right there.

They have some individual talent but they're the only playoff team with a minus point differential, and that includes the 7-9 Washington Football Team. 

Still some hurdles for them to climb. I think they're a better offense without OBJ, that's a problem. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Released by the Texans on Friday, Watt is seriously considering the Browns as one of his options because they have a lot of what he wants, sources tell cleveland.com.

The two biggest things? Money and a potential Super Bowl. What’s more, they have a strong supporting cast and a positive environment. Check, check, check, and check.

Coming off of a frustrating 4-12 season, Watt wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, and the Browns check off that all-important box. They made it into the Final 8 last season, losing to the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs, 22-17, in the AFC Divisional round.

Watt, 32, also wants to get paid his market value, and the Browns have the cap space to pay him. They’re 10th in the NFL with about $21.7 million in space. Watt was due to make $17.5 million in 2021, and will probably be looking for something in that ballpark.

Edited by HappyDays

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

[quote]Released by the Texans on Friday, Watt is seriously considering the Browns as one of his options because they have a lot of what he wants, sources tell cleveland.com.

The two biggest things? Money and a potential Super Bowl. What’s more, they have a strong supporting cast and a positive environment. Check, check, check, and check.[/quote]

[quote]Coming off of a frustrating 4-12 season, Watt wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, and the Browns check off that all-important box. They made it into the Final 8 last season, losing to the defending Super Bowl champion Chiefs, 22-17, in the AFC Divisional round.

Watt, 32, also wants to get paid his market value, and the Browns have the cap space to pay him. They’re 10th in the NFL with about $21.7 million in space. Watt was due to make $17.5 million in 2021, and will probably be looking for something in that ballpark.[/quote]

lol. Sure. 

I like want and I want him, but if he wants to piss away his last years for that fake team, by all means.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

lol. Sure. 

I like want and I want him, but if he wants to piss away his last years for that fake team, by all means.

I have to imagine this info is only being released to help drive up his price with the real contenders. If he seriously thinks Cleveland gives him a real chance to win a title then maybe we're seeing some early-onset CTE.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They have some individual talent but they're the only playoff team with a minus point differential, and that includes the 7-9 Washington Football Team. 

Still some hurdles for them to climb. I think they're a better offense without OBJ, that's a problem. 

I think Bills fans underrate Cleveland the same way you think they underrate Tennessee. I took a lot of heat for saying they'd beat the Steelers but they did and they gave KC a closer game than us too (albeit with Mahomes going out). 

I think the AFC pecking order is:

1. KC

2. Buffalo

3. Baltimore / Tenn / Cleveland

4. Colts

5. Everyone else

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

lol. Sure. 

Why do you think they're a fake team?

They did a better job on the Chiefs than we did.  If it wasn't for an uncalled head-hunting personal foul by Sorenson at the goal line they could have made it closer.  And whether or not you agree, a lot of people see Stefanski as a very talented coach who is changing the culture and getting the most out of his guys.

Now from the JJ Watt POV - last year the Browns had Myles Garrett and 31 year old Olivier Vernon bookending at DE.  Garrett led the way with 12 sacks and 18 QB hits, but Vernon was right up there with 9 sacks and 16 QB hits.  That was a significant jump on his 2019 production (he only played 10 games in 2019) - but it is also a higher number than Watt has had since 2018.  And Vernon was cheaper at $11M/yr.

Chances are Watt, like any top player, would bet on himself to show he's an upgrade. 

But how do the Browns see it?  Do the Browns want Watt, or do they want to re-up Vernon who knows their system and just demonstrated what he can do as a bookend to Garrett?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Watt to CLE would not be good for Buffalo.

They have a solid squad already and bring back basically everyone. They could sign Watt and still have more space available. They could also look to move OBJ and pick up even more space. Plus they have like 6 picks in the first 4 rounds of the draft. 

Gap was not very big between us and them and this would allow them to close it and then some. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They did a better job on the Chiefs than we did.  If it wasn't for an uncalled head-hunting personal foul by Sorenson at the goal line they could have made it closer.  And whether or not you agree, a lot of people see Stefanski as a very talented coach who is changing the culture and getting the most out of his guys.

Now from the JJ Watt POV - last year the Browns had Myles Garrett and 31 year old Olivier Vernon bookending at DE.  Garrett led the way with 12 sacks and 18 QB hits, but Vernon was right up there with 9 sacks and 16 QB hits.  That was a significant jump on his 2019 production (he only played 10 games in 2019) - but it is also a higher number than Watt has had since 2018.  And Vernon was cheaper at $11M/yr.

Chances are Watt, like any top player, would bet on himself to show he's an upgrade. 

But how do the Browns see it?  Do the Browns want Watt, or do they want to re-up Vernon who knows their system and just demonstrated what he can do as a bookend to Garrett?

They had one of the lowest strength of schedules, they got blown out by two division rivals at various points, and they struggled consistently throughout the season to win games against mediocre competition. 

Their QB is limited, and their defense has several holes. 

If anything, they’re the 2019 Bills, with a worse defense. 

Not to say they cant take a step, but they’re overrated and they were very uninspiring in the playoffs- it took a Pit implosion for them to win that, and then they lost to the chiefs backup QB on one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve ever seen. 

They have talent, but they’re clearly in the second tier of the AFC. 

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Vernon tore his achilles in week 17. He won't be back. He's solid, but not coming off that injury. 

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Bills fans underrate Cleveland the same way you think they underrate Tennessee. I took a lot of heat for saying they'd beat the Steelers but they did and they gave KC a closer game than us too (albeit with Mahomes going out). 

I think the AFC pecking order is:

1. KC

2. Buffalo

3. Baltimore / Tenn / Cleveland

4. Colts

5. Everyone else

Cant get the taste of that horrible 4th quarter out of my mouth. Coaches lost the game with incompetence and then got COTY. Stupid.

I’ll say it. I expect them to be a .500 team next year. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Cant get the taste of that horrible 4th quarter out of my mouth. Coaches lost the game with incompetence and then got COTY. Stupid.

I’ll say it. I expect them to be a .500 team next year. 

I think Cleveland's window is short because they are already paying a lot of guys.... and I am yet to be convinced about Baker's ability to compensate when those guys get stripped away. But I think they will be good again in 2021. Better than Pittsburgh and contending with Baltimore for the division. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

They had one of the lowest strength of schedules, they got blown out by two division rivals at various points, and they struggled consistently throughout the season to win games against mediocre competition. 

Their QB is limited, and their defense has several holes. 

If anything, they’re the 2019 Bills, with a worse defense. 

Not to say they cant take a step, but they’re overrated and they were very uninspiring in the playoffs- it took a Pit implosion for them to win that, and then they lost to the chiefs backup QB on one of the worst coaching decisions I’ve ever seen. 

They have talent, but they’re clearly in the second tier of the AFC. 

A Pitt implosion? You're kidding, right? I guess going up 35-7 in the first half had nothing to do with Cleveland.