Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Thurman was po’d when Bills cut him. Watt wanted his release.  Unless Texans are even more inept that everybody thinks, you trade him to the Jets for a 5th round pick before you do him any favors and let him go to a team in your division.  

Watt isnt happy with the Texans so there is some bad blood there. Regardless if one player asked for a release and one didnt.

As to the bold... well... are you just catching up? Because Watt has been released.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Watt isnt happy with the Texans so there is some bad blood there. Regardless if one player asked for a release and one didnt.

As to the bold... well... are you just catching up? Because Watt has been released.

we all know he was released.  Doesn’t mean there wasn’t a handshake deal that he can sign with anyone but the 3 teams in their division.  Thurman was kicked to the curb.  

10 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

we all know he was released.  Doesn’t mean there wasn’t a handshake deal that he can sign with anyone but the 3 teams in their division.  Thurman was kicked to the curb.  

Handshake deal with who? McNair has proven that he isnt trustworthy, so why would any player give him that back?

Thurman was kicked to the curb by a team he still loved, and Watt was released by a mismanaged team whose dysfunction he was sick of. There isnt that much difference as far as immediate player loyalty goes. Any coach Watt might have loyalty to is long gone from the organization. And one of those coaches is now HC in Tenn.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Those are Bold Predictions.

Isn't Will Fuller V under suspension for next season?

He has 1 game left to serve I believe,

I wouldn't want Fuller here for the simple fact I hate him for ruining my fantasy season. My team was on the path to a playoff berth thanks to his stellar year then he went down. Will never forgive him.

• Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Handshake deal with who? McNair has proven that he isnt trustworthy, so why would any player give him that back?

Thurman was kicked to the curb by a team he still loved, and Watt was released by a mismanaged team whose dysfunction he was sick of. There isnt that much difference as far as immediate player loyalty goes. Any coach Watt might have loyalty to is long gone from the organization. And one of those coaches is now HC in Tenn.

handshake deal involves Texans trusting Watt.   They did him a huge favor cutting him now.  None of his 2021 money was guaranteed until 1st game of 2021 season.  Good luck finding somebody in late August who has the cap space and hasn’t already filled their needs.  NFL owners didn’t become Billionaires giving anything away for free.  Unless McNair is a total fool, he told Watt I’ll give you your release now as long as I don’t have to play you twice a year and remind Texans fans how inept I am.  

48 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Watt to Green Bay makes the most sense to me, except they don't like to invest in players who can actually help them win. 

The Bills make the 2nd most sense, as we have a need at DL and are right there in terms of the SB. 

I’ve heard of this guy named Reggie White ...

Seriously, you gotta think that event is looming over the conversations in GB.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I’ve heard of this guy named Reggie White ...

Seriously, you gotta think that event is looming over the conversations in GB.

If culture is important to him, you do have to wonder about Rodgers degree of irritation with his team over a certain draft pick last year and his uncertain future moving foward....

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/14/2021 at 10:25 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting assessment and comparison to Baseball scouting.  I think some people said a similar thing, years ago, about Stevie Johnson - that he had been the Bills #1 WR, but that he would no way be the #1 WR on a team with a top-tier offense.  And in fact, when he went to San Francisco, he was their #3 behind Boldin and Crabtree.

And we do the same thing here periodically, talking about how many players we have on offense or defense who would start on other teams.

Anyway, I'd like to hone in on the part I quoted above.  I don't think it's at all the "zero sum game" you portray above "there are only so many targets to go around".  I think our offense has room to become a better offense with more targets overall. 

For realism, let's look at the best teams in different categories this season and how the Bills stack up to them.  The Bills were #2 in offensive yards, with 310 fewer yards than KC.  Probably some room for more plays there - let's look.  Yes, in fact the Bills were #15 (!!!!) for offensive plays, with 93 fewer plays there than the #1 team, the Chargers.  We were #27 for offensive penalties, with 40 more than the least-penalized team. 

Let's say for ease of calculation, we could have 100 more offensive plays (between #15 for offensive plays and #27 for penalties, clearly room to improve).  Let's say we maintain the same 59%/41% run-pass split (the focus being a more effective run game, not more run plays).  So 59 more pass plays. 

Knox and Singletary had 44 and 50 targets, respectively.  If all those 59 pass plays went to Knox, he could clearly have >100 targets without taking a thing away from anyone else.

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we'd all have a Happy Valentine's Day" (wait - is that not how it goes?) but I think the underlying point is clear.  Realistically, the Bills could have more offensive plays without even exceeding what a team actually did last season, and those plays gotta go to someone.  Since Diggs and Beasley rightfully draw a lot of defensive traffic, if we had a reliable TE (an improved Knox, a pass catching RB etc) it's probably not unrealistic to think they could be the beneficiaries.

Yeah, but don’t teams with really good won-loss records sacrifice plays because they grind out the clock late? The chargers had a good offense AND usually lost, so they’re the perfect example of a team overdetermined to have a high offensive play count. 7 of the top 9 teams failed to have winning records. https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-team-with-the-most-offensive-plays-per-game-this-season

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I suspect it’s in Australia.

Even though the thought is good, family is not allowed on site in Australia. They have a mandatory 14 day institutional quarantine on arrival. They would get to do it at a pretty nice hotel, but I’m 100% sure that they are not going over there with that in mind.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

If culture is important to him, you do have to wonder about Rodgers degree of irritation with his team over a certain draft pick last year and his uncertain future moving foward....

This.  GB culture is all about what Rodgers wants to do on a given day.  He could be happy or disgruntled.  Not ideal if you are signing up there where he could ask to he traded at any time. 

• Like (+1) 1