Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

6 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The bolded simply isn't true. Brown easily would've put up over 600 had he not missed 7+ games. Davis had 599 yards this year as a rookie, do you believe his stats won't Increase with additional experience and game time on the field?

You can’t just create extra targets? The range is somewhere between roughly 950 - 1100 plays on offense. We were at 1034 plays. Let’s say we hit that upper limit and run 1100 plays.

With a 59/41 run pass split that’s an extra 39 targets to go around... really not that many spread across an entire offense... but the spread would like look something like the current target share... so guys are picking up around 5-6 extra targets on average. 

Stats could very well increase, but it means someone else has their numbers declining. If Brown is healthy for 7 more game, Davis’ numbers are not the same. 

• Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

You mean 1B or is this the beginning of your "Ertz >>>>> Diggs" hot take?

Yes 1B that was a mistype

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Huh? 

Beasley shouldn’t get more than 4 Tgt/G? Explain? 

if we have Ertz he is the second best weapon on offense. Assuming a more balanced offense w Allen averaging 32 attempts/game or so, I would give Ertz and Diggs 14-18 targets between the two of them, 10-12 between the rest of the wideouts, and 4 or so to the RBs. That’s where this offense would be operating at efficiency imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

You can’t just create extra targets? The range is somewhere between roughly 950 - 1100 plays on offense. We were at 1034 plays. Let’s say we hit that upper limit and run 1100 plays.

With a 59/41 run pass split that’s an extra 39 targets to go around... really not that many spread across an entire offense... but the spread would like look something like the current target share... so guys are picking up around 5-6 extra targets on average. 

Stats could very well increase, but it means someone else has their numbers declining. If Brown is healthy for 7 more game, Davis’ numbers are not the same. 

For some context, in the 2020 NFL season, of the top 10 passing offenses by yards, only one team had their 4th receiver >600 yards. The Dallas Cowboys.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

It certainly can’t all be pinned on him but he also didn’t exactly fix it.  That’s a big ask, I get it, but the ask isn’t as big as his ego.  I think he was fine sharing the spotlight with Watson because he is the QB, but Hopkins was a star in the rise and boom, gone.  

That was BOB I get it but Watt has been the Sagittarius A* of the Texans galaxy, and everyone knows it.  Maybe BOB knew that they can’t have three sheriffs in town.  No way Watt goes somewhere else and doesn’t get major press before even meeting the guys on his team.  Our team and culture has been built slowly with a strong foundation.  He is the center of the universe IHHO.  I don’t see how that works with him coming in and being the center of everything.

what do you think would happen if he signed here? What bad things would come about from him getting a lot of attention?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

if we have Ertz he is the second best weapon on offense. Assuming a more balanced offense w Allen averaging 32 attempts/game or so, I would give Ertz and Diggs 14-18 targets between the two of them, 10-12 between the rest of the wideouts, and 4 or so to the RBs. That’s where this offense would be operating at efficiency imo.

By what metric is Ertz a better weapon than Beasley? Genuinely asking... like how are you making the determination? 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think another relevant point is whether any tight end is going to hog targets in this offense? 

I think the issue in using Ertz over Knox is that when we need our TE, Ertz will be there and not so sure about Knox.  It may only be 2 or 3 targets per game, but they could be significant. If Allen has all day to throw again, Diggs will again get 150 receptions, but if not, the TE may need to bail him out more often. That's the argument for Ertz, I would think.

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

So Davis wouldn't be able to do more with his targets as he gains experience? My guess is he could do more with increased time with Josh and experience on the field with less targets. He also won't see 2 targets or less in 4 of 6 games like he did at the start of the season, he's not a rookie anymore. His targets will go up, not down. If it takes away from others, it may not be such a bad thing. He averaged more yards per catch, by a pretty good margin, than any other starting WR on the team.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
Spelling errors

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

By what metric is Ertz a better weapon than Beasley? Genuinely asking... like how are you making the determination? 

I mean the replacement value is higher. I don't know if Ertz is a better tight end than Beasley a slot, I'm saying the difference in quality that Ertz upgrading Knox at TE1 would make is >>> than the value of WR2/3

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I think the issue in using Ertz over Knox is that when we need our TE, Ertz will be there and not so sure about Knox.  It may only be 2 or 3 targets per game, but they could be significant. If Allen has all day to throw again, Diggs will again get 150 receptions, but if not, the TE may need to bail him out more often. That's the argument for Ertz, I would think.

For sure. I wasn't talking about Ertz. Ertz is really a tight end in name only. He is a big slot. He doesn't really block and he is in the slot or outside much more than he is in line. If the Bills were lining up Diggs and Davis wide and Beas in one slot, Ertz in the other that is a pretty awesome 4 wide. But I kind of see Ertz as the alternative to John Brown in that sense (in terms of salary cost). I'm not sure any in line dual threat tight end is gonna hog targets. They would be a complimentary player and red zone guy. 

58 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Think we should be putting the full court press on Ertz too?

I think Ertz ends up in Seattle. I'm actually not that crazy about spending on a TE. I think teams are best developing their own TE. I wouldn't mind spending a low asset on a quality TE. But I want to draft and develop one. I think Beane's comments were more of a message to our young TEs. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

He won’t be cheaper 

had hoped the injury thing might help
 and you are aware Beanes a Wizard , I hope
:)
JJWatt has earned every bit of his accolades, and then some.
If Bills are able to bring him in ? Sweet. I just expected he might got to Steelers. 
Now it looks more like Packers ??

1 hour ago, psuscott16 said:

35 page Watt thread and half is about Dawson Knox and playing time. 🤦‍♂️

multi tasking

3 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not sure why some fans want him so bad. We could probably draft a guy that would have the same or better impact and cost less, and probably stay healthier. I'm not totally against getting him, but I'm not dying to get him either 

dude is a for real legend.
No Mario Williams though

28 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If Bills are able to bring him in ? Sweet. I just expected he might got to Steelers. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/texans/news/j-j-watt-to-green-bay-packers-source-reveals-likelihood-of-nfl-homecoming

This what you're seeing or you got more?

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is plenty

Thanks Hap :)

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

multi tasking

dude is a for real legend.
No Mario Williams though  lol

• Sad 1