Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It does seem to me that Alan looks to go to Dawson Knox quite a bit so I think the answer to that is yes

He was 6th in targets last year, behind 8 games of John Brown, Gabe Davis playing part time and DEVIN SINGLETARY. 

He had 10 more targets than Isaiah McKenzie. Who plays like 20% of offensive snaps.

25 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It certainly can’t all be pinned on him but he also didn’t exactly fix it.  That’s a big ask, I get it, but the ask isn’t as big as his ego.  I think he was fine sharing the spotlight with Watson because he is the QB, but Hopkins was a star in the rise and boom, gone.  

That was BOB I get it but Watt has been the Sagittarius A* of the Texans galaxy, and everyone knows it.  Maybe BOB knew that they can’t have three sheriffs in town.  No way Watt goes somewhere else and doesn’t get major press before even meeting the guys on his team.  Our team and culture has been built slowly with a strong foundation.  He is the center of the universe IHHO.  I don’t see how that works with him coming in and being the center of everything.

So I’m following what you’re saying, but I do believe we are looking at this COMPLETELY differently. If the Bills have this amazing locker room chemistry that you don’t want to break up, there’s no way Watt would be able to disrupt that. There’s too much leadership on this team for that to happen. From Beane to McDermott, then the players-Allen, Hyde, Diggs, Hughes, Poyer, etc. perhaps you have read/heard/seen things about Watt I haven’t...I have always heard he plays hard for his team, works hard, ex-teammates always talk about how great a teammate he is. Does he have an ego? Sure-but so does every other player in the NFL. He is ring chasing at this point, I don’t think he has plans of coming in and being a disruption. 

Again I can see where a fan could possibly be worried about taking on a person who has Watt’s influence, but IMO he is definitely worth the risk

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Mike Vrabel was the Texans DC from 2017 to 2018. If Watt liked him as a coach that gives the Titans the edge. I would bet on them right now, followed by the Packers, followed by the Bills. 

I don’t see him signing in division. Too weird.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

They won’t.

Even if we acquired Ertz. They will be a 3/4 option at best.

Diggs is the engine. Beasley is the caboose. More weapons are nice but no other player is putting up more than 600 yards if those two are healthy all year.

The bolded simply isn't true. Brown easily would've put up over 600 had he not missed 7+ games. Davis had 599 yards this year as a rookie, do you believe his stats won't Increase with additional experience and game time on the field?

5 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The bolded simply isn't true. Brown easily would've put up over 600 had he not missed 7+ games. Davis had 599 yards this year as a rookie, do you believe his stats won't Increase with additional experience and game time on the field?

I'm talking about a 4th player. Like if we added Ertz, I wouldn't expect Gabe and Ertz to both have >600 yards if Beasley and Diggs get their targets.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Yeah, I don’t get that argument. If you want to argue that Ertz isn’t good, go for it. But if you think more weapons won’t help, I don’t know what to say. Look at TB. It’s not as if all their receivers had 1000 yards. But the point of all their weapons is you don’t know who to plan against. Double Godwin, Evans has a big day. Double Evans, Godwin goes off. Try to take away both, Miller or Brown step up.

Here, I’d say we are doing really well as far as weapons go. But we can be better. Maybe it’s a better receiving threat out of the backfield. Maybe it is a TE. Maybe it’s more speed or more speed with size as well.  I don’t have the answers, but adding talent is never a bad thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan5121 said:

Yeah, I don’t get that argument. If you want to argue that Ertz isn’t good, go for it. But if you think more weapons won’t help, I don’t know what to say. Look at TB. It’s not as if all their receivers had 1000 yards. But the point of all their weapons is you don’t know who to plan against. Double Godwin, Evans has a big day. Double Evans, Godwin goes off. Try to take away both, Miller or Brown step up.

Here, I’d say we are doing really well as far as weapons go. But we can be better. Maybe it’s a better receiving threat out of the backfield. Maybe it is a TE. Maybe it’s more speed or more speed with size as well.  I don’t have the answers, but adding talent is never a bad thing. 

Incredibly, nobody made this argument.

47 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Average of 3.3 targets per game last season, average of 3.6 targets per game this season.

Basically 2 receptions/game each season.

I just dont know if that was a problem with scheme or confidence in Dawson Knox.

When I look at these things now I look at what do we do to get past the Chiefs......it is a lot harder to play "sticky defense" on a quality TE

1 minute ago, billsfan5121 said:

Especially when that talent is only 30 and is better than our current player at that position. I don't want to make a trade for him, but if he becomes a FA take a shot at him. He also brings with him Super Bowl winning experience.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoaoa, Confident!  Any basis for this?

Beane did say don't expect a "splash" in trades/FA this year

Just to clarify a little, Beane said "I would not anticipate any blockbuster moves of Stef(on) Diggs type". 

To me, he's just keeping expectations low.  It doesn't mean he's not going to try.  It's carefully worded GM speak.  If/when he lands someone he will say it was unanticipated.

And with JJ there would be no draft compensation involved.  And since Watt was released after Beane's quote, the "unanticipated" clause applies.

• Like (+1) 1