Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

So you’re saying with 100+ targets Knox couldn’t put up similar numbers? 100 targets is a crazy amount of passes to a tight end 

100+ targets TE for the last couple seasons are Waller/Kelce/Kittle or Ertz in 2019 numbers.

On that number of targets, all but Ertz broke 1000 yards, and Ertz had >900 yards

Thomas had 610 yds.

I'm not trying to take away from him, he had a good year and played capably

But if he were playing for us, I think we'd be talking about how he wasn't a difference maker at TE, and didn't get enough YAC

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

giphy.gif

I mean, we have no idea at this point if the Bills are going to make him a serious offer

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

What if we donated and he goes elsewhere, then what? We look like a buncha moronic donating Minions.

Money still goes to charity. What is wrong with tithing for nothing in return?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

100+ targets TE for the last couple seasons are Waller/Kelce/Kittle or Ertz in 2019 numbers.

On that number of targets, all but Ertz broke 1000 yards, and Ertz had >900 yards

Thomas had 610 yds.

But if he were playing for us, I think we'd be talking about how he wasn't a difference maker at TE, and didn't get enough YAC

I mean, we have no idea at this point if the Bills are going to make him a serious offer

Yeah, in McBeane we trust. But, why not potentially make his job easier,  while giving to needy children at the same time? I mean, tithing is also an obligation for many, as well.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Paulus said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Clyde Smith said:

What if we donated and he goes elsewhere, then what? We look like a buncha moronic donating Minions.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh I don't know never want to talk anyone out of donating to charity but it is kind of a weird thing to do.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This. I'm waiting for something further than "the Bills called" before I get excited. For all we know the call could have just been "You want how much? Okay, cool, nice talking to you".

Edited by BillsFanForever19

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving, but why not give to a cause that serves one's local community or is near to one's personal heart, instead of to an athlete's foundation in the hope of influencing him?

People sometimes need a bit of extra motivation to give. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the net result of monies given to charity, because of Bills' Mafia grabbing Watt's ear, is higher than if the idea was never broached. Overall the aftermath is a more money to charity, and thus I support it. 

Edited by Paulus

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I know people say that they don’t like to do this... but if you give Logan Thomas the same amount of targets as Dawson Knox his numbers are actually worse....

I’m not saying the same thing happens - Thomas definitely ends up providing more value this year. 

What I am saying is that there weren’t 110 targets on this offense for Thomas. There are only so many targets to go around. You can give him all of Knox’s targets, but then where do we go from there? How many does he pull from Diggs, Brown, Beasley and Davis? Probably not enough to make a substantial difference and not nearly enough to put up the numbers he did in Washington. 

Fine player who benefited from being better than the majority of the options in a bad offense. I’ll say it again, even though I’ve been made fun of for this. When you scout in baseball, you look at a player and try to place them where they would fit on a championship caliber team. That’s where you start with you grading. Is Logan Thomas a difference maker on a championship caliber team? He’s a nice role player who’s a good second tier starter, but he’s not putting anyone over the top. Just because John Means is the ace of the Baltimore Orioles doesn’t mean he’s an actual “ace pitcher” by definition. He’s a #5 starter/swing man at best on a championship caliber club and he would be graded by scouts as such. 

Another common way it’s phrased is “this guy is a first division starter or he’s a second division starter.” Comes from the idea early on in baseball that teams in the top half of the division were the “first division” and teams in the bottom half were in the “second division.” A first division starter would be able to start on almost any team in the league and second division starter would only typically be able to start on less talented teams. 

Logan Thomas is a second division starter. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

It does seem as though our training staff and methods are very good with preventing a lot of muscle and odd injuries that seem to have effected Watt recently, might be an added incentive on the Bills side along with a very good team and top QB. Could be an extra thing to sway him to the. Ills if he so desires and the team goes after him aggressively. JMO. 

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I know people say that they don’t like to do this... but if you give Logan Thomas the same amount of targets as Dawson Knox his numbers are actually worse....

I’m not saying the same thing happens - Thomas definitely ends up providing more value this year. 

The problem with this - and I say it as someone who thinks no reasonable person could consider letting Thomas leave after 2018 a mistake - is that Thomas despite much inferior QB play caught 65% of his targets. With top 5 QB play Knox caught 54%. Even give Knox the same targets I am not sure he delivers the same production.

5 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Who would want a team on the decline.

Gregg was wrong on that news.

Think JJ wants a ring. If it is AFC the Titans make some sense if he doesn't feel that is too much of a middle finger to Houston. After that the Bills make as much sense as anyone in the conference. I'd still put Green Bay #1 though.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1