Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't have picked Allen, true. But the two situations are totally incomparable. And I wasn't disputing any of the other examples you cited. Just Logan Thomas. You don't hold onto guys who show nothing for 4 years.... just in case.

Whoa that is NOT what I claimed. 

Not 4 years.   Thomas only played two years for the Bills.   He was on the PS the last month of the season with the Bills in 2016 when he first decided to convert from QB to TE.   He didn't do much with the Bills but those two offenses were nightmarishly bad.    Especially first half 2018, historically inept offense.   He showed something in year 3 as a TE......in Detroit.......in limited reps showed that he could move the chains............that's why he got the two year deal with Washington.    

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Lack of cap space just means teams have to be more creative.  If Watt and the team he desires want to make it happen, they’ll make it happen.  New Orleans probably only team that cap is a factor for, but they still always find a way to make it work.  

Usually would agree but this year with the cap going down, cap creativity bid limited

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not 4 years.   Thomas only played two years for the Bills.   He was on the PS the last month of the season with the Bills in 2016 when he first decided to convert from QB to TE.   He didn't do much with the Bills but those two offenses were nightmarishly bad.    Especially first half 2018, historically inept offense.   He showed something in year 3 as a TE......in Detroit.......in limited reps showed that he could move the chains............that's why he got the two year deal with Washington.    

Hence why he wasn't retained.

Are we supposed to keep players who don't do much in case they perform decently 2 years later?

How is this even an argument?

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You and @GunnerBill and @NewEra can claim he's just a scrub on a bad team.........but you guys are wrong.........he's become a very good receiving TE.   Watch the games guys.  

Also, please let me know how much this "very good" recieving TE with one solid year as the second most targeted player with poor efficiency numbers is going to get paid?  Probably Tyler Kroft money, which is the going rate for a TE with one solid season after being a nothingburger his whole career.

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So you’re saying with 100+ targets Knox couldn’t put up similar numbers? 100 targets is a crazy amount of passes to a tight end 

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Yes his pass rush win rate was very high according to ESPN, I'd like him as a rotational player. He certainly could make a difference where we need it.

I've changed my mind in last 24hr: I do like JJW...in the role you describe. Football idea being obvious: 2 symbiotic edge rushers; vets who still have 1-2 yrs of high-ish level in the tank.

Further, he would seem to be a great cultural fit.

But, and there's always a but, financials: I honestly don't think it's possible, esp as role player. But, keeping open mind...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes... 17 and 18 here, 19 in Detroit, before he broke out in 20 in Washington. Good for him, but no way that could have been anticipated. 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Did I miss something?  Is JJ a TE now?

Are you new here? We are of course signing him and converting him to tight end to play alongside Duke williams. 
Then moving Dawkins to RT, trading for brown in Baltimore for a 2 and 4 and then extending him a top 5 LT contract. Oh and Milano is getting franchise tagged then traded for a 3 and a 5 I guess too 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ultimately, if you get credited for things that work out........you also get credited for those that don't work out.

And how should we make a final determination whether more things work out then don’t work out?

Perhaps we could look at the teams 13-3 record and reaching the Championship game as evidence ?

8 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Are you new here? We are of course signing him and converting him to tight end to play alongside Duke williams. 
Then moving Dawkins to RT, trading for brown in Baltimore for a 2 and 4 and then extending him a top 5 LT contract. Oh and Milano is getting franchise tagged then traded for a 3 and a 5 I guess too 

While we’re at it, what’s Mike Jasper up to these days?

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Should I be mashing the F5 key or is Watt going to drag this on for months? 🤪

Probably not till next weekend. Teams are still trying to get a feel for what to expect this year with tags and whatnot, so I don’t think anyone on any side is in a huge rush.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes... 17 and 18 here, 19 in Detroit, before he broke out in 20 in Washington. Good for him, but no way that could have been anticipated. 

The way to anticipate the possibility would be to take into account a guy transitioning from QB to TE and having to do it while learning 6 different playbooks between November 28 of 2016 and the summer of 2020.   The Bills offenses of 2017 and 2018 were very different and both made it very hard to evaluate the talent on the team.     After 2018 they gave up on Logan Thomas and Wyatt Teller.   Two guys that would get a lot of scratch on the free agent market now.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The way to anticipate the possibility would be to take into account a guy transitioning from QB to TE and having to do it while learning 6 different playbooks between November 28 of 2016 and the summer of 2020.   The Bills offenses of 2017 and 2018 were very different and both made it very hard to evaluate the talent on the team.     After 2018 they gave up on Logan Thomas and Wyatt Teller.   Two guys that would get a lot of scratch on the free agent market now.

And on Teller I think it is safe to say a guard who was okay as a rookie when he got on the field and was then traded before his 2nd year.... even at that point there was reasonable chance he would turn out to be good. At the point they let Thomas walk I'd have put those chances below 10%. And for all your "he showed promise in Detorit..." he had 170 yards. I am not saying he can't play. He can. But he is an exception that proves the rule.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And on Teller I think it is safe to say a guard who was okay as a rookie when he got on the field and was then traded before his 2nd year.... even at that point there was reasonable chance he would turn out to be good. 

The reviews on Teller were mixed as a rookie.  Thomas was new to the position but his physical talent was known.   He was a top recruit and stud athlete.

I think the odds that Teller would become a second team All Pro when he played just 11 games.....not just "good"........and the chance that Thomas would emerge as a good receiving TE.....were not as different as you'd like to make it seem.:rolleyes:

It will be fun to watch Thomas next year he was really beasting at the end of the season.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The reviews on Teller were mixed as a rookie.  Thomas was new to the position but his physical talent was known.   He was a top recruit and stud athlete.

I think the odds that Teller would become a second team All Pro when he played just 11 games.....not just "good"........and the chance that Thomas would emerge as a good receiving TE.....were not as different as you'd like to make it seem.:rolleyes:

It will be fun to watch Thomas next year he was really beasting at the end of the season.

Coincidentally, when he was getting 9/7/16/12/6/9 targets in his last 6 games.

Like you said, offensive skill positions were horrendous in 17/18. Almost all of their careers are all pretty much over. LT is the aberration. Good for him.

• Agree 1