Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

If some of the people on here who always complain about the Bills cap ran the team, each pro bowl level player would only be allowed to play here if they took a hometown discount and the rest of the roster would be filled with guys who sign for the vet minimum

I tend to dismiss things that come from people on crusades.

22 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

This is for all those people arguing that a generational pass rusher is going to get worse once he’s in position to rush the passer more. 

Some people have the hardest time.

Yes, we've never seen pass-rushers fall off a cliff!

Some people have the hardest time.

22 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

And 14 was arguably Watts best season. 20.5 sacks. 5 TDs

He's talking about Denver.

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is that why we're up against the cap? It has nothing to do with the salary cap going down for the first time in over a decade? In that case I guess a lot of playoff teams from this year are inefficient with cap space.

How many playoff teams had an ineffective $9 million 3rd or 4th DE that was a healthy scratch multiple games? 

And yes we all knew the cap was going to be down. That's a poor argument. 

Murphy was a major mistake last year. Multiple ways that money could have been used last year or this year. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How many playoff teams had an ineffective $9 million 3rd or 4th DE that was a healthy scratch multiple games? 

Murphy was a major mistake last year. Multiple ways that money could have been used last year or this year. 

Some teams had ineffective $9M dlinemen who actually had to start

41 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How much do you think he costs?

I don't know.  None of us do.  That's part of the puzzle and process that management has got to work. Watt's also got to be thinking about what he wants and what is important to him and his family at this stage in his career.

50 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Houston moved him around quite a bit too didn't they?

Not recently that I’m aware of. Years ago when they had clowney, watt and Mercilus playing well they moved them around some. I think watt has mostly stayed at left end

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Murphy was a bad mistake, agreed. On the whole Beane has managed the cap very well, it's probably his biggest strength as a GM. Any team with a QB and a good roster has a bad cap situation right now because of covid.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills should make Watt an offer they can afford.  No bidding war please.  If Watt is going after Money then we don't need him and can't afford him.  If Watt is really after a chance to compete for the Super Bowl then he knows he's going to have to take less money then he's worth.

Sell Watt on the idea that the Bills are one of the few teams with a legit chance to make and win a Super Bowl next year.

If Watt seems interested get the players to make a hard sell.  If he signs great if not move on as there is a lot of D talent available this off season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Murphy was a bad mistake, agreed. On the whole Beane has managed the cap very well, it's probably his biggest strength as a GM. Any team with a QB and a good roster has a bad cap situation right now because of covid.

I never said he was bad at anything. I said his worst move was keeping Trent Murphy at a $9+ million cap hit as a depth DE last year. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

That’s the one thing that scares me about Watt.  What position does he play.  Seems like 3 tech would be his best position in a 4-3.  I saw that you preferred Von Miller to watt, with that I ask, what position does he play?  DE is the obvious answer, but it’s also a position that he’s never played before, as Denver has been 3-4 since he’s been in the league iirc.

the only thing I know, is we should replace a Addison with a top free agent pass rusher or our 1st rd pick.  

That dude can play any position and do it well. Total package.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I was responding to another poster who is on his usual anti-Bills management crusade. I'll drop it now.

Yeah. I think Beane is a very good GM so far. I won't crown him yet, he'll earn his crown over time. But he's put the Bills in contention to win a Super Bowl. The hard part though is coming. Once you start getting to the playoffs its about getting to a Super Bowl. Gets harder after next year. 

• Agree 1

On 2/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

He did have 29 QB pressures better than anyone we had...just sayin' and that was playing alot. In a rotation I bet he has more on the tank.

Per espn advanced stats offered other thread by @DCOrange, he was 8th in Edge win rate this year (JH was 2nd). So there's that, agree or not re metric.

As aside, I am not a huge JJ fan at this point in career.

[Sorry if this stat noted already; normally don't comment until I read all pages, but doing cross-thread reading today to catch up]

12 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

I would equate him signing with the Buffalo Bills as Reggie White signing with the GB Packers. 

Reggie was 31 also at that time. Im kinda surprised Watt is only 31. It's an old 31 at the minimum with all his injuries in the past few years.

Edited by Bferra13