Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s the one thing that scares me about Watt.  What position does he play.  Seems like 3 tech would be his best position in a 4-3.  I saw that you preferred Von Miller to watt, with that I ask, what position does he play?  DE is the obvious answer, but it’s also a position that he’s never played before, as Denver has been 3-4 since he’s been in the league iirc.

the only thing I know, is we should replace a Addison with a top free agent pass rusher or our 1st rd pick.  

Jack Del Rio ran a 4-3 when John Fox was Head Coach. They have been 3-4 since 2015 with Wade, then Vance Joseph then Fangio.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hmm, not sure I agree.

I look at the cap, and the second Josh hits real money, we pretty much have no dead weight under contract.

Yup. Agreed. 

Is he just supposed to sit on the cap space in the meantime? I’m not really sure what the argument is on the other side?

He had extra money to spend because of the cheap QB, so he spent it on some of the better players in FA to be competitive. You’re always going to have to overpay in FA, hard to find a great deal. Although he’s found a few. 

Then the argument becomes “Well then when Josh is getting paid a lot, he can’t draft so poorly.” But according to everyone here we don’t really have any difference makers via FA and then in the draft Beane can only find solid starters - which is what you want when your QB is making a lot of money. 

Honestly based on the messages on this board, I have no clue how we were in the AFCCG by drafting so poorly and doing so poorly in FA with a bunch of bad coaches and coordinators. 

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Compare how long they've played TE

6 years for Knox and 4 years for Thomas? 

Thomas also isn’t getting 100+ targets in Buffalo like he did in Washington... that’s Kelce/Waller level of targets... does anyone really think he’s that type of player? He was a check down option. His Y/R was sub 10. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

No what the Saints did was kick the cam down the road too many times. This is the year they feel it. Salary cap definitely isn’t a myth......there are ways to get around it for a year or 2, but eventually it catches up to you. 

Someone says this every year too. :thumbsup:

Were do we want our limited dollars spent?  What are our options and priorities?

I think an edge is a significant need but Watt's going to require more from our limited bank.  Are we willing to take from Peter (TE, RB, Corner, LB, O line, D line) to pay Paul (edge)?  I think we need to find a couple/three of our immediate needs in the draft and pay rookie salaries to fill those.  What does the draft class look like for these needs.  Then we compliment our hopeful draft class with FAs. 

This is where management needs to try to make the right call, and where I think they've done a good job these past three years.  I trust them.  If they see a good edge or two in the draft class and think we can reach one of them, pass on Watt.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I'd put Pit as the frontrunner and all the others a distant second. Pretty sure if they offer him something fair he would love to play with his 2 brothers.

I thought the same Turk, and then at the gym played the replay from Movin the Chains.  Pat made a comment from yesterday and said Pitts out as they now have $6 + mil. in dead cap for the pounced retirement and the Ben restructure.  He doesn’t think they can do it.  Made sense the way he explained.  He called the Tampa Fournette pick last summer.

1 minute ago, Pokebball said:

Were do we want our limited dollars spent?  What are our options and priorities?

I think an edge is a significant need but Watt's going to require more from our limited bank.  Are we willing to take from Peter (TE, RB, Corner, LB, O line, D line) to pay Paul (edge)?  I think we need to find a couple/three of our immediate needs in the draft and pay rookie salaries to fill those.  What does the draft class look like for these needs.  Then we compliment our hopeful draft class with FAs. 

This is where management needs to try to make the right call, and where I think they've done a good job these past three years.  I trust them.  If they see a good edge or two in the draft class and think we can reach one of them, pass on Watt.

How much do you think he costs?

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But do you wait for Von Miller? Also others will become available. 

I believe the assumption is that Watt can be signed for cheaper since he is still chasing a ring.

Whereas Miller already has his ring, and will be more likely chasing the highest contract.

Plus I'd personally rather have Watt than Miller. Think he'd be better in the locker room.

So no, I aint waiting.

22 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I have to assume that all this talk about that tweet is just in humor. It was funny. I don’t know why you would overreact to somebody doing that?

Is it really a joke on social media if someone doesn’t get unnecessarily offended??

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

We are in agreement that Beane has been very inefficient with cap space.........that's why they are up against it with a QB still on his rookie deal.

Is that why we're up against the cap? It has nothing to do with the salary cap going down for the first time in over a decade? In that case I guess a lot of playoff teams from this year are inefficient with cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Is that why we're up against the cap? It has nothing to do with the salary cap going down for the first time in over a decade? In that case I guess a lot of playoff teams from this year are inefficient with cap space.

Yeah, I don't think people are realizing this. The cap was supposed to be around 201 million this year, now in the 170's. Beane said as much. They probably wouldn't have been as aggressive last off season. I guess Beane should have predicted the covid pandemic effects. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If some of the people on here who always complain about the Bills cap ran the team, each pro bowl level player would only be allowed to play here if they took a hometown discount and the rest of the roster would be filled with guys who sign for the vet minimum