Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

19 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Watt could have been traded in the real world. But supposedly they decided to release him so he could sign where he wants.

If you think there isn't a team out there willing to trade a draft pick for JJ Watt, even on a one year deal, I don't know what to tell you. They could have gotten a third or 4th rounder probably, but the Texans decided they wanted to allow Watt to choose his own future.

Based on talent alone, Watt is likely worth trading a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Based on talent, age, injury history, AND existing $17.5 mil contract, very unlikely anyone would trade for him and mainly due to the contract.  The only way he gets traded is like what happened in Cleveland a few years back where the Browns received a 2nd round draft pick back, ironically also from Houston for taking on a high value contract.  Granted this is a little different in that Watt only has one year left on his contract, but even then only about half the teams in the league have enough cap space right now to take on the contract.

Houston would be even dumber than they already are made out to be if they didn't trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder if they actually could have got that.  They could have easily told Watts give us a few days or even asked him to give them 5 or 10 teams he'd be interested in going to, they then try and work out a trade.  Likely that was what happened, Houston got no takers, so they were being nice in that they quickly released him rather than try and hope someone comes along with a trade offer next month or so.

It's easy for Houston to try and look good in all this and they gave him his freedom without trying to trade him, but we'll never know if that is what they did or there were no trade seekers.  But if what you say is true, then Houston's front office is even more incompetent than everyone thinks.

25 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’re hearing lots of reports, but Ed Werner was just recirculated by WGR as the current four front runners are Pitt., Cleveland, Buff., and TN.

Should be interesting as we know they can pull it off if they really wanted and the price was right.  All four of these teams are contenders, and what was interesting is one of them was NOT GB.

Watt watch is on.

my nephew who is a browns fan texted me some Instagram Rumor that watt has bought a house in the Cleveland suburbs! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Based on talent alone, Watt is likely worth trading a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Based on talent, age, injury history, AND existing $17.5 mil contract, very unlikely anyone would trade for him and mainly due to the contract.  The only way he gets traded is like what happened in Cleveland a few years back where the Browns received a 2nd round draft pick back, ironically also from Houston for taking on a high value contract.  Granted this is a little different in that Watt only has one year left on his contract, but even then only about half the teams in the league have enough cap space right now to take on the contract.

Houston would be even dumber than they already are made out to be if they didn't trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder if they actually could have got that.  They could have easily told Watts give us a few days or even asked him to give them 5 or 10 teams he'd be interested in going to, they then try and work out a trade.  Likely that was what happened, Houston got no takers, so they were being nice in that they quickly released him rather than try and hope someone comes along with a trade offer next month or so.

It's easy for Houston to try and look good in all this and they gave him his freedom without trying to trade him, but we'll never know if that is what they did or there were no trade seekers.  But if what you say is true, then Houston's front office is even more incompetent than everyone thinks.

Nah, 17 million not that much for pass rusher if you feel hes a fit. You could restructure the deal as well. I thought he had trade value as well.

Does anyone know if he has a no trade clause? Because Watkins supposedly does.

A lot of players will be willing to take less. JJ wants a ring.

Get cap hit down to 12 -13 million and that's still likely his value. Moot now though.

Article below saying Texans just being classy....yeah right.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/texans-release-j-j-watt-owner-cal-mcnair-explains-why-the-team-didnt-trade-star-pass-rusher/

Edited by RichRiderBills

32 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

We’re hearing lots of reports, but Ed Werner was just recirculated by WGR as the current four front runners are Pitt., Cleveland, Buff., and TN.

Should be interesting as we know they can pull it off if they really wanted and the price was right.  All four of these teams are contenders, and what was interesting is one of them was NOT GB.

Watt watch is on.

I'd put Pit as the frontrunner and all the others a distant second. Pretty sure if they offer him something fair he would love to play with his 2 brothers.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

my nephew who is a browns fan texted me some Instagram Rumor that watt has bought a house in the Cleveland suburbs! 

Wait he got released AND bought a house in Cleveland int he same day?? Man, that dude was busy yesterday! Or did he already own a house in Cleveland because what superstar athlete wouldn’t want to own a house in Cleveland??

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Both Watt and Miller are injury prone, Watt moreso. No thanks on either of them.

Before his injury suffered prior to the 2020 season (which by all accounts was a freak practice injury), Miller played 9 NFL seasons. He played a full 16 games in 6 of them, 15 in 2 of them. Only in the 2013 season did he play less (9 games). JJ Watt also played a full season 2 of the last 3 years. And we all know in 2019 he came back from injury in time for the Playoffs. Maybe do a little research before you post statements like this. 

I understand the appeal of playing in Pittsburgh with his brother. The defense would be great. But does he really expect the defense to carry Pittsburgh to the Super Bowl with dead arm Big Ben? If he signs with anyone outside of the 4 Conference Championship game contenders I would be surprised.

Edited by Justin C

17 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Wait he got released AND bought a house in Cleveland int he same day?? Man, that dude was busy yesterday! Or did he already own a house in Cleveland because what superstar athlete wouldn’t want to own a house in Cleveland??

i know i would

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'd put Pit as the frontrunner and all the others a distant second. Pretty sure if they offer him something fair he would love to play with his 2 brothers.

All depends what matters most.  If winning the super bowl matters most, we make the most sense out of pitts,cleve and Tennessee.

Can’t see Pittsburgh unless he only cares about playing with his brothers. The Big Ben situation looks like a mess and it’s hard to see them as a legit title contender with him under center.  
Cleveland’s a possibility but I can’t see him picking Lil Baker if he wants to win a title.  
Tennessee is legit.  I’d worry most about them.  

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Can’t see Pittsburgh unless he only cares about playing with his brothers. The Big Ben situation looks like a mess and it’s hard to see them as a legit title contender with him under center.  
Cleveland’s a possibility but I can’t see him picking Lil Baker if he wants to win a title.  
Tennessee is legit.  I’d worry most about them.  

Not sure how the Steelers would even restructure Ben's contract again unless they resign him past 2021 and he's owed a $15 million roster bonus in March. Wouldn't be surprised to see him retire or have the Steelers release him.  The Steelers could then either go after Darnold or let Rudolph / Haskins fight it out.