Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

7 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

JJ is still pretty damn good. 

Yep Watt would be an amazing addition to the team. Offenses doubled Oliver many times this year. They can't double Oliver and Watt without extra protection. With Star coming back the whole defensive line could make a resurgence in 2021.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Salary Cap is a myth.

The Saints are $100M over cap, and looking at their ledger, have no way of getting under cap AND fielding any sort of team. But they are in that situation EVERY year. And just like every other year, they'll figure out a way to do it.

No what the Saints did was kick the cam down the road too many times. This is the year they feel it. Salary cap definitely isn’t a myth......there are ways to get around it for a year or 2, but eventually it catches up to you. 

Edited by streetkings01

Trying to assess if J.J. still has enough left in the tank (via stats):

AGAINST

- At the start of next season, J.J. will be 32-1/2 years old.

- He has missed 32 of his last 80 games (over the last 5 years) due to injury

- Over the last 5 years, he has only had more than 5 sacks in 1 season (2018), which will be 3 years ago at the start of next season.

- He has only had one monster season (2018) since he was the best DE in the league (between 2012-2015)

FOR

- He did play all 16 games last year and played 91% of Houston's defensive snaps

- In the two seasons that he was healthy over the last 5 years (2018 and 2020), his stats were still good...with that monster season in 2018 (16 sacks, 61 tackles)

- In 2020, despite his sack total being down (only 5 sacks), his other stats were still pretty good:

52 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, he created 3 turnovers (2 strip sacks and a pick six), at least 6 batted balls at the line, 7 passes defended, 5 sacks, 17 QB knockdowns

So, my assessment would be, with the Bills defensive line rotation, he could still be very productive in Buffalo next year. If his snap count goes down from his normal 90% in Houston to say where Jerry's snap count was this year (58%), that should mitigate age and injury risk a bit. I think he could be very valuable to the Bills, I just wouldn't want to break the bank for him at this stage in his career (and because you would be asking him to do/play less than he has to this point in his career).

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure if JJ fits, the Bills need to get younger and more dynamic at DE. Unless they plan on releasing Addison and still brining in a younger DE. 

But I wouldn't hate JJ, I just think there are better directions to go. 

We have two pretty young guys with Johnson and Epenesa. Johnson of course is versatile playing special teams. Watt, Hughes and the two young guys would be your active 4 on game days. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

JJ Watt is also over rated. I’ll take Chris Jones!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/platform/amp/2021/2/8/22270800/aaron-donald-was-the-right-choice-for-defensive-player-of-the-year-t-j-watt-steelers-nfl-awards

15th is pass rush win rate out of 110+ players.

JJ was doubled team more than any edge rusher in the league.....and he’s a 3-4 DE.  

Opposing DCs know more than you.  

12 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Not sure if JJ fits, the Bills need to get younger and more dynamic at DE. Unless they plan on releasing Addison and still brining in a younger DE. 

But I wouldn't hate JJ, I just think there are better directions to go. 

I don’t know about better, not in the FA pool and very likely not at #30

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yay but BF isn’t overly reliable 

• Eyeroll 1