Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

2 hours ago, mattynh said:

5 years ago JJ Watt, sure, today what is he?  4-5 sacks....we have those guys already.   Unless you want him for the locker room/leadership aspect and the price is very reasonable I would pass.

Chris Jones had .5 tackles and 0 sacks vs us in the AFCCG.  He was the best player in the field and destroyed our offense.  Sacks are overrated.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, thurst44 said:

Actually you missed a 16 in there as I'm sure someone has pointed out. Your overall point is not off, b/c the year's before that have 1 sack between them. I could see him having a Buffalo revival though.

Wow!  Thank you for correcting me.  I looked that up via google and his stats were just on the search page...

But you are correct.

per nfl.com

Year  Sacks

2020   5

2019   4

2018   16

2017   0

2016   1.5

2015   17.5

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Give Watt the money that was due to Jefferson/Butler. He can play 3T or DE at an elite level and Jefferson/Butler stink. With Star coming back it doesn't even leave us in a position to need to pick someone else up as far as the numbers go. You can rotate Addison and AJ. 

Its kind of hard to evaluate our defensive line since the gameplan against us is to get rid of the ball as soon as possible... apparently we were 2nd in the league in pass rush win rate somehow lol we definitely do not have an elite player on the defensive line though that teams have to pay extra attention to that is for sure 

17 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Wow!  Thank you for correcting me.  I looked that up via google and his stats were just on the search page...

But you are correct.

per nfl.com

Year  Sacks

2020   5

2019   4

2018   16

2017   0

2016   1.5

2015   17.5

The talent around him on the texans defense has pretty much completely evaporated so its tough to analyze him with a stat sheet alone...teams could probably triple watt and be fine going one on one with everyone else lol

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is mcBeane’s favorite type of Dlineman to be honest 

This comment wins no matter what side of this anybody is on 🤣

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Interesting though that Vegas has Pittsburgh as the second best favorite to sign him, so we'll see.

Via SportsLine oddsmakers: Favorites to sign JJ Watt:

Packers +150

Steelers +200

Bucs +400

Browns +500

Titans +700

49ers +800

Patriots +900

Colts +1000

Ravens +1200

Bears +1500

Cowboys +1800

Raiders +2000

How the hell are we not on this list at all? I mean he is more likely to go to Patriots than us? Or Titans who were in his division?

Edited by No_Matter_What

10 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Packers are currently $21,851,617.00 over the cap.......as of now you can count them out unless they make a ton of moves over the next few weeks.  Steelers are $18,778,547 over the cap.......same goes for them.

The Salary Cap is a myth.

The Saints are $100M over cap, and looking at their ledger, have no way of getting under cap AND fielding any sort of team. But they are in that situation EVERY year. And just like every other year, they'll figure out a way to do it.

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

How the hell are we not on this list at all? I mean he is more likely to go to Patriots than us? Or Titans who were in his division?

Not being on that list is a nod to the competence of the current Bills organization.

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Salary Cap is a myth.

The Saints are $100M over cap, and looking at their ledger, have no way of getting under cap AND fielding any sort of team. But they are in that situation EVERY year. And just like every other year, they'll figure out a way to do it.

It is an accounting cap not a salary cap. It limits how much a team can account for in any one year. It places no restriction on spending. 

• Like (+1) 2