Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Welcome to the real world!  Was reading here a few days ago, people were thinking we could trade Addison for a 4th or 5th rounder I believe it was.  LOL

I think Watt could have been traded in the real world. But supposedly they decided to release him so he could sign where he wants.

If you think there isn't a team out there willing to trade a draft pick for JJ Watt, even on a one year deal, I don't know what to tell you. They could have gotten a third or 4th rounder probably, but the Texans decided they wanted to allow Watt to choose his own future.

54 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

If the price is right then I would be on board, but I'm sure he will have plenty of suitors.  There's younger very good d-lineman available this year as well - that's the route I would take if The Bills decide to spend some cash on one higher up free agent.

I don't know - given the cash outlay we're going to have for Josh maybe 2 or 3 years fits the cap strategy better than a 5 year deal especially with free agents. Most of the guys who are decent pass rushers will not be looking for short deals. I think it would also push pass rushing down the list of needs a little, at least for next year. And if he plays 3TDT a little so be it, looks like he can handle it.

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Normally, a person’s faith should and would have nothing to do with anything. Except when that person insists in imposing that faith on anyone who doesn’t wish to be imposed upon. There are reports out of Houston that Easterby has done that by insisting that people coming into his office to address various issues, kneel and pray to gain insight into resolution of those issues. That is wrong on several levels. 

The other exception is when someone with zero NFL personnel credentials becomes the de facto GM of a franchise almost exclusively because the owner shares his religious values.

With the current news out of Houston it shocks me that the McNairs ever let a papist, let alone a dirty McCatholic, hold the head coach position.   

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I don't know - given the cash outlay we're going to have for Josh maybe 2 or 3 years fits the cap strategy better than a 5 year deal especially with free agents. Most of the guys who are decent pass rushers will not be looking for short deals. I think it would also push pass rushing down the list of needs a little, at least for next year. And if he plays 3TDT a little so be it, looks like he can handle it.

True, but the cap will be much higher in a few years and even a 5 year deal usually only has about 3ish guaranteed years so can cut bait if needed.  It really all comes down to contracts and if it makes sense.  Watt can be signed now, others will have to wait and could be signed by their own team anyway.

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The other exception is when someone with zero NFL personnel credentials becomes the de facto GM of a franchise almost exclusively because the owner shares his religious values.

With the current news out of Houston it shocks me that the McNairs ever let a papist, let alone a dirty McCatholic, hold the head coach position.   

While I agree with your post, NcNair is free to hire whomever he likes for whatever position he chooses, stupid hire or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

While I agree with your post, NcNair is free to hire whomever he likes for whatever position he chooses, stupid hire or not. 

While that is true, I think some might consider hiring unqualified people based on religion to be at odds with federal legislation on workplace discrimination.  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Normally, a person’s faith should and would have nothing to do with anything. Except when that person insists in imposing that faith on anyone who doesn’t wish to be imposed upon. There are reports out of Houston that Easterby has done that by insisting that people coming into his office to address various issues, kneel and pray to gain insight into resolution of those issues. That is wrong on several levels. 

Yikes, yeah I didn't know all that.  Very odd / unacceptable if true.

I mean who has woke/religious purity tests anymore these days? Any sort of belief that mandates submission to it should have no part in the NFL or the USA for that matter.

Thanks for the info!

• Like (+1) 1