Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

10 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

O.J. and J.K. "respectfully" wanted no part of coming to Buffalo. The teams were bad.

Rotten Ralph should have respected their not wanting to be here.

Completely different context and situations.

edit: you can "laugh" at the post as a way to dismiss it without having to publicly lose the argument. But if you need me to type it out to explain it  to you slowly, you are talking about a couple of rookies who didnt want to come to Buffalo. Whereas Watt is a 10 year vet who has been a good soldier and is high priced at the end of his contract, and wants to find greener pastures. Completely different.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the idea is, if he came to Buffalo where we have a decent rotation, and he didnt have to play 91% of the snaps, he could stay fresher and perform better.

Agreed. I think the point is a few years ago he could play 90% of the snaps and completely dominate. He is still a great player and would be a huge addition. Just not a DPOY contender he used to be. 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Agreed. I think the point is a few years ago he could play 90% of the snaps and completely dominate. He is still a great player and would be a huge addition. Just not a DPOY contender he used to be. 

Maybe. Sure, players can be better in their prime than at an older age. But irrc, he has never played as many snaps in a season as he did last year. So its kinda a double whammy.

43 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think it's quite the same.  Watt played in 16/16 games this past season, 8 games then returned hella early and played 2 playoff games last season.  Last season, he was clearly a contributor on a crap defense.

Merriman had only played in 3 games the season before the Bills signed him, was a non contributor on a top D, and was clearly hobbled from Day 1 in Buffalo. 

Maybe Merriman was a stretch, but Watt has had his share of injuries. I guess the point I was trying to make with Merriman is that Boss Hogg [Buddy Nix] was banking on Merriman returning to form, hence would solve the Bills pass rushing problems at that time. Watt played in 8 games in 2019 and finished with 4 sacks. Last season, while he did play he a full 16 games, he had 5 sacks, 52 combined tackles (36 solo). IMO, I think Watt’s best days are behind him and don’t want to see the Bills make the same mistake bringing in an aging, beat-up  DE to try and fix their pass rushing issues. Nothing against Watt, always liked him as a person and player, but he’s not the dominant player that he used to be.

1 minute ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Maybe Merriman was a stretch, but Watt has had his share of injuries. I guess the point I was trying to make with Merriman is that Boss Hogg [Buddy Nix] was banking on Merriman returning to form, hence would solve the Bills pass rushing problems at that time. Watt played in 8 games in 2019 and finished with 4 sacks. Last season, while he did play he a full 16 games, he had 5 sacks, 52 combined tackles (36 solo). IMO, I think Watt’s best days are behind him and don’t want to see the Bills make the same mistake bringing in an aging, beat-up  DE to try and fix their pass rushing issues. Nothing against Watt, always liked him as a person and player, but he’s not the dominant player that he used to be.

All fair points.  I think it's fair to ask how much the play of the rest of the Texans line impacted what Watt could do - but then that would raise the same question here, since Addison and Hughes both "fell off" in their play and that might be a function of interior OL play

But I agree that the Bills need to look to the future on DL and that Watt is not that thing.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, stuvian said:

A house cleaning is imminent. There's no way Watson stays. This Easterby whack job is turning this team into a cult

I mean, HOU is a dumpster fire, but what does his faith have to do with anything? Got it, you don't like religion...neato

Back to football, it's obvious they are doing a full house cleaning. With the losses of draft picks and talent (BoB), they have to essentially start over and the best way is to just get it over as quickly as possible.  How much "talent" did McBean shed when they came to BUF and wanted to change the culture? Some of the talent they released absolutely got some fans riled up. It's more pronounced with HOU because of the big names but we don't know what happened behind the scenes.

Sure, we're looking at this from the perspective that they already lost Watson, but to me, this is ripping off a bandaid. It's tough now, but 6 months from now, things may be better. IMO, they are going to keep Watson, and while he may be angry today, he'll eventually calm down and play for HOU.

3 minutes ago, spartacus said:

lower leg and calf are sticks

Dude is one of those guys who wears shorts that show his quads. I don’t when guys showing quad became a thing but it sucks. The exact opposite of when women starting wearing yoga pants because they feel so good. 😉

3 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I mean, HOU is a dumpster fire, but what does his faith have to do with anything? Got it, you don't like religion...neato

Back to football, it's obvious they are doing a full house cleaning. With the losses of draft picks and talent (BoB), they have to essentially start over and the best way is to just get it over as quickly as possible.  How much "talent" did McBean shed when they came to BUF and wanted to change the culture? Some of the talent they released absolutely got some fans riled up. It's more pronounced with HOU because of the big names but we don't know what happened behind the scenes.

Sure, we're looking at this from the perspective that they already lost Watson, but to me, this is ripping off a bandaid. It's tough now, but 6 months from now, things may be better. IMO, they are going to keep Watson, and while he may be angry today, he'll eventually calm down and play for HOU.

Normally, a person’s faith should and would have nothing to do with anything. Except when that person insists in imposing that faith on anyone who doesn’t wish to be imposed upon. There are reports out of Houston that Easterby has done that by insisting that people coming into his office to address various issues, kneel and pray to gain insight into resolution of those issues. That is wrong on several levels. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

Please pass on JJ watt.  someone will pay him way too much for not alot of production.

sack totals last 3 years: 5,5,4.

Actually you missed a 16 in there as I'm sure someone has pointed out. Your overall point is not off, b/c the year's before that have 1 sack between them. I could see him having a Buffalo revival though.