Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the logical place if he wants to ring chase is Green Bay. Home state, NFC (weaker conference) and they run the scheme he has played in his whole pro career. 

Now sure bud.  They have the NFCW and SF will probably be better, AZ, same, and AFCN.  Pitt’s going nowhere, nor is Cleveland and Baltimore.  They also have it easy you’d think with Washington, but the Saints if Beees comes back.

Here he has the NFCS, and AFCS.  I don’t see an advantage and Buff is on the rise.  He might like what’s happening here.  I see top guys wanting a ring, where there is a need, would take good but not great $ to be part of it.  Can you imagine this guy jumping on a burning table.  This probably would be fun for him.  He’s made around $100 mil. not including advertising, so a lot of guys like him wants a ring.

GB and Buff.  makes a lot of sense.  With us he doesn’t have to play more than maybe 60-65%.

3 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You could literally release Butler and Addision, and it will cost that same as to have Watt.  It's a no brainer if he wants to play here.

Bringing Gaine back could be huge if he is able to convince Watt to come here.

Absolutely a no brainier.

45 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

That was the point. They are going to let him be able to choose where he plays next. By releasing him, vs possibly trading him to a trash team, that’s why Ian said “franchise with class”.

Well the Texans AREN'T a franchise with class, until now, apparently. That's the point.

And there was lots of speculation even on these boards that the Texans might be interested in trading him.

But good for him. Hope he finds a good spot.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah, the GB and Pitt just seem like lazy takes. He's from Wisc, and his brother plays in Pitt. So what.

10 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

You could literally release Butler and Addision, and it will cost that same as to have Watt.  It's a no brainer if he wants to play here.

Bringing Gaine back could be huge if he is able to convince Watt to come here.

We could get there by releasing Butler and Jefferson too. I wouldnt mind keeping Addison around. He was the best of the under-performing bunch.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You said he wasn’t an ‘edge rusher’. Just because Wikipedia says a 3-4 DE primarily plays B gap doesn’t mean he wasn’t rushing the passer lined up over tackles.

Okay he wasn't used "primarily" as an edge rusher. That is what I meant.