Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love JJ Watt but at this stage I think he is a 3-4 end only. He could play some 3 tech in a 4 man front in Buffalo but I am not sure that is where our need really is. I don't think at this stage in his career he is a 4-3 Edge guy.

He completed 2020 with the second most snaps in his career. As part of a rotation I am very confident McDermott can find a place for him.

4 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

8th in the NFL as an edge rusher at pressure rate (Hughes was 2nd). Cut Addison, and get Watt. Hughes, Watt, Epenesa, Jefferson would make a good rotation. Hopefully Star comes back, which free up Oliver and the LBs

But he wasn't an "edge rusher". He was playing as an end in a 3-4 and attacking the B gap. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

He completed 2020 with the second most snaps in his career. As part of a rotation I am very confident McDermott can find a place for him.

And if he wants to come ring chase and play in the rotation and take $6.5m AAV I am all for signing him. If we are looking at JJ as the guy to give us the outside edge rush we have lacked then that isn't him at this stage for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know I’m a pain in the butt with a bunch of fantasy stuff, but this one makes sense.  STOP GETTING ME SO EXCITED!

I’m in boys!  Make it happen Beane.  I hate this as I sound like a Madden kid.  Just think about Star, Oliver, Jerrah (ours), and JJ.  Edmunds would have a cake walk in his job.  Jefferson, Butler, and even Addison should start worrying.  Cut Brown and maybe we could even keep Williams, Mongo, Ford comes back, draft what we need, and sign a TE in FA. 

This morning they pointed out an experienced TE is critical as so few blow up in the draft.

Cant wait for September, maybe.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

This guy annoys me.... that being said he'd be a big help to the defensive line despite his injury history and slight decline in production. 

I think this supposed 'decline in production' is a direct result of who he was playing with...name one other texans defensive linemen lol I cant...watt was probably doubled all season 

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

He will end up in Tampa Pittsburgh Green Bay or here.  He will want to go to a contender where he will start. 

Contender yes.    Buffalo will probably talk to him if he is interested.   

Starting is not important.  He is now a situational player that would benefit from rotation.  It will prolong his career. He is a veteran and he knows that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think this supposed 'decline in production' is a direct result of who he was playing with...name one other texans defensive linemen lol I cant...watt was probably doubled all season 

They have definitely lost talent on that line the last two years with Reader and Clowney going. They still have Merciless as an edge rushing linebacker. I don't think he is the player he was a couple of years back but he can still be a very effective player if used correctly. Just not sure that "correctly" is rushing off the edge in a 4-3. 

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Doubtful unless he plans to sign for the vet minimum (not happening). Pittsburgh is currently about $30 million over the cap and has their own FAs to sign. And he wants to win a ring. If the Stillers run it back with Roethlisberger or even a rookie this year, they are not a true contender, IMO. They are close to entering 'drought era Bills' territory until they find a franchise QB, regardless of their D.

Interesting, thanks. I didnt realize where they were cap wise, etc.