Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

He's a great fit for this team and this community, in every way.

And he still had it a little over a year ago, when he dominated the Bills in the playoff game!

His issue is injuries. If he's smart he'll come to Buffalo, extend his career by several years (thanks to the state of the art training/rehab facilities here), and win a few championships in the process.

GO BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love JJ Watt but at this stage I think he is a 3-4 end only. He could play some 3 tech in a 4 man front in Buffalo but I am not sure that is where our need really is. I don't think at this stage in his career he is a 4-3 Edge guy.

He fits everything Buffalo needs except position.

• Agree 1

The good thing about the current Bills is we are a competitive team, with players who love playing for the organization and have fallen in love with the town.  Players like Watt aren’t a pipe dream like we’ve had to deal with in the past.

If he comes in at a reduced salary with an easy way out if the first year doesn’t work, why not.  Depends on the dollars and guarantees he really wants.  My sense is he’s looking to win versus payday.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Ouch. Not even trading him then. Seems like they could have gotten something for him.

That was the point. They are going to let him be able to choose where he plays next. By releasing him, vs possibly trading him to a trash team, that’s why Ian said “franchise with class”.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I see him as a Quinton Jefferson type on this DL- thoughts? 

If he'd come and play for Q's contract - I'm all in. I think you are right that would be his role, the role they intended Jefferson to play when he arrived which was to be a big end when they go to their jumbo package on defense and then reduce down and play inside in their pass rush package. But I doubt JJ is going anywhere for $6m per year to be a rotational player. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

I'd be ok with a d line of hughes star oliver watt. Cut butler jefferson and addison and bring in some youth in the draft.

A new MLB is also key.

If at his age he wants a ring, he’d be smart to come here.  I never wanted to trade for the guy, but with Star back, Edmunds and Oliver will be better like last year.  Now you get him at a fair deal, you can cut several guys that didn’t perform.  You can afford if there are some restructures, pay cuts, and cuts.  I’m all for that one in this situation with no draft picks.

Hes not dumb.  He knows instead of GB, with a QB with only a couple years left, he could go with a #2 rated power rankings team, immediately help, keep someone to rotate, and make Oliver look really darn good.

If he just wants $ then no.  My guess is he wants a ring.  Pitt doesn’t need him on defense, amd if he could be a 65% guy vs. 90% guy, he could maybe extend himself.  How does any older but valuable player not want to get on this train when he knows he is what we need.

Ive been anti watt trade, but I’m all for an ok contract no trade worries deal.  That’s different.

18 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If he wants 8-9 mill for 3 years I'm good.  That's his worth as of now, today.   

But some team is going to pay him 12-14 or more for 3. 

No way.  

I've said the same thing.

Cutting Jefferson and Butler saves us $12.5M

Give JJ $9-10M and save $3M to spend on the OL.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If he'd come and play for Q's contract - I'm all in. I think you are right that would be his role, the role they intended Jefferson to play when he arrived which was to be a big end when they go to their jumbo package on defense and then reduce down and play inside in their pass rush package. But I doubt JJ is going anywhere for $6m per year to be a rotational player. 

8th in the NFL as an edge rusher at pressure rate (Hughes was 2nd). Cut Addison, and get Watt. Hughes, Watt, Epenesa, Jefferson would make a good rotation. Hopefully Star comes back, which free up Oliver and the LBs

• Like (+1) 1

I will suggest again that in his end-of-season press conference, McDermott was talking to Watt when he said 

This place is a special place, surrounded by a special fan base, and where else would you rather come to play the best football of your career?  This is to me a great place to play if you're truly passionate and love the game of football.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Nester said:

A Watt Jersey would be an instant add to my collection. 

I think a jersey is more valuable than the player at this point unless he is willing to take a lot less than he was overpaid by Texans.

Why would he choose Buffalo?  Because have one of the best rehab teams in NFL and he uses it a lot.

Plus he has no chance of being same team as De$haun Wat$on.